Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 6,908 times

Advertisements

I am searching for recommendations for senior living facilities in or near Gainesville, VA, especially assisted living. I have heard of a new one being built in the Gainesville area, but have not been able to obtain information on it. Thanks for helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 05:10 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,164,705 times
I don't know if I've ever seen an assisted living facility in the Gainesville area. I know that area pretty good and I can't picture one. I know of some locations for senior citizens only but not sure on the other.

You might try:
Prince William Area Agency on Aging 5 County Complex Court, Suite 240. Woodbridge, VA 22192. Click here for Directions 703-792-6400 ...
www.pwcgov.org/aoa

Old 04-23-2010, 06:09 PM

982 posts, read 3,476,422 times
I went to a county planning meeting about a month ago, nothing was mentioned about an assisted living facility in Gainesville. There are "55+" communities, but so far nothing with medical staff on site...right now the only option available is to hire a home health aide, nurse, etc. I'd follow Bigfoot's advice and check with the County's Agency on Aging.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:14 PM

230 posts, read 755,389 times
There is a assisted living facility called Sudley Manor House that is located in Manassas, which is very close to Gainesville. They have a web site that you can find out more information: www.sudleymanorhouse.com

I have driven by it several times and it looks very nice from the outside. There are a few over-55 adult living communities in the Gainesville area, but I don't think there is an assisted living facility.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:03 AM

380 posts, read 1,058,716 times
Heritage Hunt is 55+, a Lennar community, but I don't think they have any assisted. They do have sky high utility bills.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:28 PM

262 posts, read 839,182 times
Can anyone else comment on sky high utility bills (is it only for slab foundation homes, or does it also apply to homes built with basements) and community in general and build quality of homes there?

My parents are looking for a retirement home (upstate NY is too cold in winter and taxes high) and this one seems to have potential (though my mom seems very concerned about sump pump in all houses her)

Old 11-04-2010, 08:32 AM

303 posts, read 588,806 times
There is a new Assisted-living center that opened between Gainesville and Warrenton on 29. Fauquier Health opened what is called the Villa at Suffield Meadows. The address is 6735 Suffield Lane.

The paper says there are 56 apartments in the main building and room for 12 more residents in a wing reserved for dementia patients. It's a 76,244 sf structure.

Assisted Living Virginia,Senior/Assisted Living Facilities Northern VA

Last edited by VAFan; 11-04-2010 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: To add link

Old 11-04-2010, 05:51 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,564,749 times
Gainesville is a popular place for retirees, but I don't know of an assisted living facility. However, Heritage Hunt has condos designed for active adults, and adjacent to that is the Marque apartment building, which was built for seniors (but now rents to anyone) and has many useful things for the elderly, like guard rails along the hallways, a movie theater, cafe, hair salon and other things on site. For assistance with meals, meals-on-wheels is very good and reliable around here, and I know a very good home companion/helper service if you are interested. As for actual assisted living (versus nursing home), I would urge you to research carefully this decision - I believe the average time in an assisted living facility is 2 years (I read it somewhere). The problem with this option is that people who need it tend to be transitional - at the point where they can't live alone anymore, but don't quite need a nursing home - however, it only takes one fall or one illness to put you over that line, and assisted living facilities nearly always have a clause in the contact that says they can kick you out at any time they feel you can't take care of yourself. This happened to my grandmother a week after she moved into such a place - she needed an ambulance one day and they never let her go back. They kept the hefty initiation fee we paid, too.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:53 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,564,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshan242700 View Post
Can anyone else comment on sky high utility bills (is it only for slab foundation homes, or does it also apply to homes built with basements) and community in general and build quality of homes there?

My parents are looking for a retirement home (upstate NY is too cold in winter and taxes high) and this one seems to have potential (though my mom seems very concerned about sump pump in all houses her)
I can only say that my mother lives there (she does not have a basement), and she does not have sky high utility bills. They are about on par with ours here in Fairfax, but lower as her home is a bit smaller.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:23 PM

262 posts, read 839,182 times
Would you recommend Heritage Hunt as a good place for retirees to buy a home? Does your mom have any complaints about Heritage Hunt?

And any other areas and or specific communities in No VA you would also recommend?

Any insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia