U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 06:29 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,817,519 times

Advertisements

Is it my imagination, or are a lot more people in Nova getting PMP certifications this year? It seems like every other person I meet is talking about it.

Also, since so many Virginians seem to be PMP focused this year, I hope somebody on this forum can help me with my other question. I got no responses at all on the Employment Forum, but hopefully somebody here will be able to help me. My daughter's husband is about to take his PMP exam. For those of you who took it, what did you think of the test? Any advice for him?

He's worried because he has an eye problem that forces him to read slowly--he's not sure he'll be able to do all the questions in the allotted time. I understand he only has to pass 106 questions. Does that sound right and do you think he has reason to be concerned? Any tricks or suggestions to help him read a little less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 06:48 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,967,285 times
I'm sure he must have heard about this "PMP bible," but in case he hasn't: Amazon.com: PMP Exam Prep, Sixth Edition: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the PMP Exam (9781932735185): Rita Mulcahy: Books

Best luck!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:36 AM

198 posts, read 311,256 times
I think the PMP certification is something that's been popular for the past several years. I think one reason it is more prevalent now is because it's an achievable and measurable thing for people to put on their annual goals which are usually part of the basis for performance reviews. It's also another credential which can differentiate applicants seeking new employment which may be important in this economy.

I just noticed on another website that the PMP exam is changing on August 31, 2011. When changes like that are announced, it usually means a push for people who have started their training and preparation to complete the exam prior to the changes. You may very well be correct that there are more people taking it in the next couple months for that reason.

It's been at least five years since I took the test and I know it has changed a bit since then so I can’t say too much about the current exam. I took a one-week prep course by Rita Mulcahy's company, RMC Project Management, shortly before I took the test (about a year or two after I had taken other PM courses as part of my master's program). I found the short prep course a good way to refresh my memory, and I did like her material. I've been doing Earned Value Management (EVM) related work for a long time, and I still learned some new techniques related to schedule analysis and other things that I found helpful as shortcuts. There were also a lot of good tips about strategies for taking the test. (Rita passed away recently, so I'm not sure of the status of the company and who will continue her work.)

I don't recall too much about the details of the test, but if he doesn't have a lot of experience with EVM, one thing I would recommend is to memorize the formulas (Cost Variance, Schedule Variance, CPI, SPI, etc) and when he enters the testing area, immediately "brain dump" them onto a piece of scrap paper. That way he can "unclutter" that part of his mind and when he gets to the related questions, he can reference the notes.

The other thing to remember is that the test is specifically based on the PMI/PMBOK standards, and the questions need to be answered with that in mind. Sometimes the "logical" or real-world answer might not necessarily be the same as the answer based on the PMI material.

Also, has he considered contacting PMI to find out if he could make alternate arrangements for testing due to his eye condition? I know that most universities offer extended testing time or other accommodations for people with special needs, so I would think that PMI would do the same.

Good luck to him!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,898,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVA_Lurker View Post

Also, has he considered contacting PMI to find out if he could make alternate arrangements for testing due to his eye condition? I know that most universities offer extended testing time or other accommodations for people with special needs, so I would think that PMI would do the same.

Good luck to him!
That's an excellent suggestion. I work for Normie's family and know the particular person in question. He has a genuine medical condition that they might accommodate. It's possible they have a test he could take with taped questions so he could hear them instead of reading them. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:09 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,898,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVA_Lurker View Post
I don't recall too much about the details of the test, but if he doesn't have a lot of experience with EVM, one thing I would recommend is to memorize the formulas (Cost Variance, Schedule Variance, CPI, SPI, etc) and when he enters the testing area, immediately "brain dump" them onto a piece of scrap paper. That way he can "unclutter" that part of his mind and when he gets to the related questions, he can reference the notes.
That's a good suggestion, too. Are you allowed to bring notepads into this test? Or, do they give out scrap paper? What else are you allowed to bring in?

Old 06-03-2011, 08:21 AM

I found a link to the application form that has a page for Special Accommodations. On this page, under the "How to Apply" section, there is a link to the printable PMP Application Form:
PMI PMP Credential | Project Management Institute

In that PDF file for the application, there is a page called PMI Credential Examination Special Accommodations Form.

I hope he will get the time he needs to be successful in taking the test - it's much more important to prove that you know the material rather than that you can complete the test in a certain amount of time.

Hope that helps...

Old 06-03-2011, 08:23 AM

Just saw your other question.

You pretty much can't take anything into the testing area with you:
http://www.pmi.org/~/media/PDF/Certi...tructions.ashx

Old 06-03-2011, 09:17 AM

NovaLurker, thanks so much for your advice. Do they supply scratch paper or do you write down the formulas on the test paper (I hope that isn't a dumb question; I'm not familiar with professional certification tests).

I think the interest in the PMP must be a Nova thing. I tried asking the same question twice on the Employment forum and got no replies at all, so I guess that in other cities it's not popular.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:19 AM

By the way, if anyone else is interested in this test I found out the libraries have several PMP books. Sign up for them well in advance of the test, however, as most of them have waiting lists. The Loudoun library system also has a digital copy of two of the books that anyone can look at at any time.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:27 AM

I actually took the test when I lived in St. Louis and did my exam prep class in Chicago I'm not surprised by the higher interest in this area, though.

Scrap paper and calculators are provided by the testing facility (to ensure that you don't cheat by taking in notes or storing formulas in the calculator or whatever). When I took the test, it was computer-based rather than a paper test. I would assume in this area that it would be computer-based as well.

There's a lot of information on the PMI website, but unfortunately, I don't find it to be all that well organized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia