Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:00 AM

72 posts, read 179,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
From what I have seen and heard about the COL in the D.C. area, it seems that very few moms would be able to stay home and raise their kids themselves, due to the need for two incomes. Maybe that has something to do with it. No day care is going to care how your child turns out like you would, they're simply providing substitute care for money, and when little Junior has to fight with twenty other little tykes for every toy, place in line, etc. he might learn to be a bit more aggressive than he would growing up at home. Not picking on the D.C. area, there are plenty of other areas of the country where being a stay at home mom isn't an option anymore. It's sad.
This is about the only logical and non overy emotional response yet. I have not spent my entire life in the DC area and have lived in several places. The last few years it has been between here and Orlando. Although I love the DC area, everytime I get on the plane to DC the hyper active parents and children can be easily spotted. The kids are quick to act up and the parents use yelling tactics to get control of their children. The parents yell at their kids in a harsh way and once the child is in the state of having submited the parents will act as if the harsh yelling never happened. This whole process repeats several times during the duration of the two hour flight.

This does not happen in all cases but enough to notice that in fact it does happen more with kids in the DC area.

The kids in parts of Florida seem to be more emotionally balanced than many kids in the DC area. The same goes for kids in western US states.

I think this is a product of stressed out parents.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:17 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,966 times
[quote=AmericanLeader;19443150]This is about the only logical and non overy emotional response yet."

Was the "non overy emotional respose" a Freudian slip or just a misspelling of ovary?

For what it is worth, I have worked throughout my marriage (going on 49 years now) even when our children were young. You can raise well behaved children no matter what your financial condition is, it depends on the emotional maturity of the parents.

Now that we're complaining about children's behavior, why do people bring very young children out to dinner at 8:00 or later? They are obviously tired and cranky and no joy for anyone to be around.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:35 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
- on average, do newspapers seem more readable in the DC area compared to other places?
- on average, do birds fly higher in the sky in the DC area compared to other places?
- on average, do posters ask silly questions in the DC area compared to other places?

... ... ah, how I love generalized questions!! :-)
Exactly. For anyone with kids I would NOT move to the DC area as they will certainly not thrive and they will hate kittens.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:43 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
[quote=Margery;19443323]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanLeader View Post
This is about the only logical and non overy emotional response yet."

Was the "non overy emotional respose" a Freudian slip or just a misspelling of ovary?

For what it is worth, I have worked throughout my marriage (going on 49 years now) even when our children were young. You can raise well behaved children no matter what your financial condition is, it depends on the emotional maturity of the parents.

Now that we're complaining about children's behavior, why do people bring very young children out to dinner at 8:00 or later? They are obviously tired and cranky and no joy for anyone to be around.
I didn't mean to imply that a mom can't work and raise decent kids. I am an RN, and I have worked on and off while our kids, who are now 17 and 19, were growing up. However, I was blessed to be able to work part-time and work opposite shifts of my dh, so that one of us was home at all times and we didn't have to put our kids in day care. If you're in RE, then you probably have a pretty flexible schedule too. I'm talking about moms who have to put in tons of hours every week along with commute time and only have an hour or two to spend with their kids each day during the week. I could never do that, I would move to a less expensive city first. We only get one chance to raise our kids, and then they're gone, for better or for worse.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:49 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
From what I have seen and heard about the COL in the D.C. area, it seems that very few moms would be able to stay home and raise their kids themselves, due to the need for two incomes.
Quote:
This is about the only logical and non overy emotional response yet.
The only problem is it's based on an assumption. So it may be logical... but it's not accurate.

Two points:

1. We have lots and lots of stay at home parents here. In my neighborhood I'd say about 2/3 of the homes have a parent at home, especially if you include the people who work from home. Then you have moms like me who work part time, some of it from home and some from an office about a mile away. I'm home when the kids are home, so that's almost the same as being a full time SAHM in my opinion.

2. You don't need to be a stay at home parent to raise well behaved kids.

Last edited by Caladium; 06-04-2011 at 11:02 AM..

Old 06-04-2011, 11:01 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
That may be how it would seem.... but in reality, there are a huge number of stay at home moms and dads here.

In my neighborhood I'd say about 2/3 of the homes have a parent at home, especially if you include the people who work from home. Then you have moms like me who work part time, some of it from home and some from an office about a mile away. I'm home when the kids are home, so that's almost the same as being a full time SAHM in my opinion.
And I agree with you.

I'm glad that you are able to be there for your kids and that apparently the stereotypes aren't true and expensive places to live don't always = two parents working long hours away from home. The kids will definitely be better off for it.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:58 AM

505 posts, read 765,210 times
Quote:
This is about the only logical and non overy emotional response yet. I have not spent my entire life in the DC area and have lived in several places. The last few years it has been between here and Orlando. Although I love the DC area, everytime I get on the plane to DC the hyper active parents and children can be easily spotted. The kids are quick to act up and the parents use yelling tactics to get control of their children. The parents yell at their kids in a harsh way and once the child is in the state of having submited the parents will act as if the harsh yelling never happened. This whole process repeats several times during the duration of the two hour flight.
Do you think this might have anything to do with being on a flight with a bunch of families leaving Orlando (i.e WDW) rather than the fact that it happens to be headed to DC?

Old 06-04-2011, 12:53 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
Do you think this might have anything to do with being on a flight with a bunch of families leaving Orlando (i.e WDW) rather than the fact that it happens to be headed to DC?
I thought maybe it was a bunch of Florida kids on a flight from Orlando to DC having a hard time containing their excitement about the prospect of finally getting to see the National Portrait Gallery in person.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:07 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I thought maybe it was a bunch of Florida kids on a flight from Orlando to DC having a hard time containing their excitement about the prospect of finally getting to see the National Portrait Gallery in person.
LOL! Thanks for the chuckle.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:57 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Sounds like you're just interested in starting a food fight between people with different viewpoints about raising kids. One thing I can tell you, those kids in Orlando will probably be working for the ones raised around here, if they even have jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia