Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 07:13 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
LOL.....Thank you for proving my point IndiaLimaDelta....sheesh....was is it with this area? So uptight....sooooo uptight..... Read what I said - I said that from the two areas that I can compare - people here just get so upset at the thought that anyone could say anything negative when it comes to kids. I NEVER said that kids in this area have more behavioral issues....
You are right. When someone writes something asinine, we should all just relax and say "Right on, dude! And party on!"

So right on, dude! And Party on!

Old 06-10-2011, 07:22 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,446 times
I won't write anymore on this thread. Everyone is sooooo sensitive....

Everyone has different views and different opinions and that's what makes everyone unique. But, learning to respect others views or opinions is another matter and one in which all of us could probably work on just a bit.

Last edited by vermonter16; 06-10-2011 at 07:31 AM..

Old 06-10-2011, 07:42 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:

Everyone has different views and different opinions and that's what makes everyone unique. But, learning to respect others views or opinions is another matter and one in which all of us could probably work on just a bit.
I didn't find your post particularly incendiary. At the rate things are going, the entire state of Vermont will only have about 1/2 as many people as Fairfax County alone in a few years. Intuitively, it just seems obvious to me that people likely will be more relaxed about a lot of things when they have more space.

Probably good for all of us to take a deep breath every now and then and think about the mountains (or the beach or one's favorite vacation city) rather than the traffic on [pick interstate of choice]. Personally, the thread on Cape May has me wishing that's where I was headed this weekend.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:

And you are not sensitive at all, clearly.

I love a good "We all are at fault, we all need to respect others" type of non-apology instead of "I'm sorry for being xyz."

Now, THAT, is classic Washington, DC.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:48 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
And you are not sensitive at all, clearly.

I love a good "We all are at fault, we all need to respect others" type of non-apology instead of "I'm sorry for being xyz."

Now, THAT, is classic Washington, DC.
Hey, where do all the homeschoolers live? Are they really concentrated in particular pockets of NoVa? I always had the impression they were dispersed throughout the region, but shared resources electronically and occasionally found ways to get together in person.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:56 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Hey, where do all the homeschoolers live? Are they really concentrated in particular pockets of NoVa? I always had the impression they were dispersed throughout the region, but shared resources electronically and occasionally found ways to get together in person.

they are. One of the nice things about homeschooling is that it liberates you from worrying about school districts - some of the foregone income due to one (or a fraction) of a parent staying home, can be made up for with the improved housingcost/commute tradeoff when you can live in any school district. And of course, not to diss all the wonderful things in the outer suburbs like airplane pulls, the cultural resources of DC and the inner suburbs are a terrific resource for homeschoolers. I mean can you beat free museums of the quality of the smithsonian?? (and yeah, you walk into Air and Space and say "we are homeschooling and need something on physics" and they know exactly what you mean and point you in the right direction - plus NOT being pointed in any direction, and just flowing through the museum is pretty good for "child led" homeschooling.

That said, there is something of a concentration of homeschoolers in Loudoun, particularly of conservative christian homeschoolers, afaict, so they do have a certain feeling of distinctiveness up there. The homeschool community that I know better, here in inner FFX, is pretty mixed, with some conservative christians, but also liberal Catholics, Jewish homeschoolers, hippy type homeschoolers, fairly driven gifted homeschoolers, and assorted overlaps of the above categories.

But while resources ARE shared electronically, many homeschoolers do value regular and frequent RL interactions - kids need the socialization. The one year our DD was homeschooled, one of the benefits was how much MORE socialization she got. My sense was that not ALL homeschooled kids were good and polite, but DD found a core group who were delightful.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Yes, yes, yes, on all three counts. Home schooling families are dispersed throughout the whole region. However, at "micro-level" there are particular pockets, for example, around a specific church or parish that has a reputation of having lots of home schooling families. And, yes, most of them do share resources electronically and get together in person, particularly frequently among those who "coop."

Old 06-10-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Yes, yes, yes, on all three counts. Home schooling families are dispersed throughout the whole region. However, at "micro-level" there are particular pockets, for example, around a specific church or parish that has a reputation of having lots of home schooling families.
thats not my impression of the homeschooling community in Vienna/FairfaxCity/Annandale/Springfield/Alex, but it could be because the hs community we fell in with was so diverse and ecumenical - my DD, a Conservative Jew, had a group that included a liberal catholic, a conservative protestant, a mostly secular protestant, a mainstream Lutheran, a Reform Jew, and a neo-communist, among others. they got together fairly often in different venues, but lived scattered around the south and center of FFX cty (and alex)

Old 06-10-2011, 08:06 AM

see JEB, IIRC (and my infor may be dated, as DD reentered public school several years ago, for the lure of the HS that must not be named), there are really two homeschooling communities across the state - one that is mainly conservative christians and one that isnt. ISTR my wife telling me that there were two different online communities, and other organizational reflections. I think we talking about two different parts of the elephant.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
thats not my impression of the homeschooling community in Vienna/FairfaxCity/Annandale/Springfield/Alex, but it could be because the hs community we fell in with was so diverse and ecumenical - my DD, a Conservative Jew, had a group that included a liberal catholic, a conservative protestant, a mostly secular protestant, a mainstream Lutheran, a Reform Jew, and a neo-communist, among others. they got together fairly often in different venues, but lived scattered around the south and center of FFX cty (and alex)
When you say "thats not my impression," what do you specifically mean by "that"? That there aren't concentrated pockets? I don't doubt there are "hip" (or whatever) home schooling groups that have no geographic concentration. Heck, there are even online communities for atheist (or Muslim) home schoolers in NoVA, for that matter. But many (most? plurality?) home schooling groups are religiously traditional or culturally so (Classical learning and all that) even if not "conservative Christian." And quite a few of them tend to congregate around particular pockets.

We can test for this proposition rather easily, I would think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
see JEB, IIRC (and my infor may be dated, as DD reentered public school several years ago, for the lure of the HS that must not be named), there are really two homeschooling communities across the state - one that is mainly conservative christians and one that isnt. ISTR my wife telling me that there were two different online communities, and other organizational reflections. I think we talking about two different parts of the elephant.
There are LOTS of home schooling online communities, of all types. A simple search of the web will reveal this. However, we can find out pretty easily what sub-group accounts for the majority or plurality of home schooling families in the region. I rather doubt this is made up of "Reform Jews" or "neo-communists."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia