U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:29 PM

420 posts, read 800,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
Bethesda is an upscale area with many great restaurants. Housing in Bethesda is generally expensive. Probably could get a much nicer place in Rockville for $1600 a month, and then drive/metro to Bethesda for entertainment.

The people in the Maryland forum will know a lot more-

http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...urbs-maryland/

I wouldn’t even consider Nova if I worked in Rockville. The traffic is just that bad.
Lucky★ - Have you always been lucky?

I'll look into the Maryland forum as you suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 02:37 PM

7,968 posts, read 18,075,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
Since I've always focused on apartment-hunting in NOVA, I don't know much about Bethesda, MD.

Can anyone tell me the differences between NOVA and Bethesda, MD? Specifically, I want to know:

1) If people are as friendly and laid-back;
Bethesda is probably most comparable to Arlington as they are urbanized suburbs bordering DC. While it's hard to generalize, the further out one goes from DC or the Beltway (I-495), the more likely one may be to find laid-back neighbors.

2) If the city is as livable, parking space, parks, etc;
Per #1, space will be tighter (especially parking) but the cost of living may be the main barrier to entry.

3) Are most buildings in Bethesda, MD, highrises, or are there residential neighborhood with small private homes/houses?
It's definitely a combination. Others on the Washington DC suburbs in Maryland forum will be able to fill in the details.

4) How is the tax situation, are state taxes higher than NOVA?
I believe that property, sales and income taxes are higher in MD. In VA, you will be subject to a car tax based on the Blue Book value of your vehicle. As mentioned before, the toll that a commute to Rockville may take on one's car if not also one's psyche, may not necessarily be worth the potential savings.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:42 PM

8,568 posts, read 12,663,611 times
I lived in Downtown Bethesda / North Bethesda / and Rockville for about 9 years. Downtown Bethesda is a great place. There are mostly high-rise apartments, but there are a few older garden-style ones. There are many neighborhoods of single-family homes - mostly older homes. Everything is EXPENSIVE in Bethesda. It is a very desireable place to live. It's upscale, has good schools, has the METRO, is relatively close to DC., is walkable, has restaurants, bars, stores, parks, a bookstore, a library. It's really a nice little city. The major negatives are the cost. And I will admit there is a snobby aura about it. It costs a lot to live there so those who do have money and some have attitude. So, no, I do not think it's as laid-back but still a great place to live if you can afford it.

Most apt. buildings have their own parking. There are several public parking lots throughout Bethesda and there are metered spots on the street (hard to get). Taxes are generally higher in Maryland, but I truly don't remember getting a big increase in my paycheck when I moved across the river, but I had just gotten married, so maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Last edited by michgc; 06-05-2011 at 09:56 PM..

Old 06-05-2011, 09:52 PM

86 posts, read 82,195 times
rockville is sweet, they have a lot of nice apartments....I lovve Rockville (not there now)

Old 06-06-2011, 06:11 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,869,904 times
I'd rather live in Rockville, you still have Metro, downtown Rockville is nice for in-the-week socializing, and you'll be working 5x a week and socializing MAYBE 3-4x a week. If you're renting and find a girlfriend in DC proper or find you're always in Bethesda/DC, you can always move later.

Moderator Cut

If you have other reasons to live in Virginia then pick an area in Orange or Blue Line Arlington. But Rockville is probably comparable to Vienna.

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-06-2011 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: competing site

Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I lived in Downtown Bethesda / North Bethesda / and Rockville for about 9 years. Downtown Bethesda is a great place. There are mostly high-rise apartments, but there are a few older garden-style ones. There are many neighborhoods of single-family homes - mostly older homes. Everything is EXPENSIVE in Bethesda. It is a very desireable place to live. It's upscale, has good schools, has the METRO, is relatively close to DC., is walkable, has restaurants, bars, stores, parks, a bookstore, a library. It's really a nice little city. The major negatives are the cost. And I will admit there is a snobby aura about it. It costs a lot to live there so those who do have money and some have attitude. So, no, I do not think it's as laid-back but still a great place to live if you can afford it.

Most apt. buildings have their own parking. There are several public parking lots throughout Bethesda and there are metered spots on the street (hard to get). Taxes are generally higher in Maryland, but I truly don't remember getting a big increase in my paycheck when I moved across the river, but I had just gotten married, so maybe I wasn't paying attention.
Thanks for the helpful comments!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I'd rather live in Rockville, you still have Metro, downtown Rockville is nice for in-the-week socializing, and you'll be working 5x a week and socializing MAYBE 3-4x a week. If you're renting and find a girlfriend in DC proper or find you're always in Bethesda/DC, you can always move later.

Moderator Cut

If you have other reasons to live in Virginia then pick an area in Orange or Blue Line Arlington. But Rockville is probably comparable to Vienna.
I'll consider living in Rockville as well, because it sounds like living costs in Rockville are much lower than those of Bethesda.

I like VA because Virginians are kind, helpful, and friendly. Now I'll need to look into Maryland.

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-06-2011 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: removed previously deleted quote

Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 AM

660 posts, read 1,501,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
I'll consider living in Rockville as well, because it sounds like living costs in Rockville are much lower than those of Bethesda.

I like VA because Virginians are kind, helpful, and friendly. Now I'll need to look into Maryland.
I don't think you'll find Northern Virginians to be any kinder, more helpful or friendlier than their neighbors across the Potomac. If you're worried that by choosing Maryland over Virginia, you're replacing Southern hospitality with Northern brusqueness, don't There are some demographic differences between the two states' suburbs, but I don't think anyone would call Fairfax County the land of Southern hospitality.

I'll just echo what everyone else has said and suggest Rockville. It has most of what you are looking for, plus a far shorter commute than any equivalent town or neighborhood in Virginia. As a bonus, Rockville has great Chinese food!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
I don't think you'll find Northern Virginians to be any kinder, more helpful or friendlier than their neighbors across the Potomac. If you're worried that by choosing Maryland over Virginia, you're replacing Southern hospitality with Northern brusqueness, don't There are some demographic differences between the two states' suburbs, but I don't think anyone would call Fairfax County the land of Southern hospitality.

I'll just echo what everyone else has said and suggest Rockville. It has most of what you are looking for, plus a far shorter commute than any equivalent town or neighborhood in Virginia. As a bonus, Rockville has great Chinese food!
Thanks for the advice! I'll look into Rockville.

FYI, I picked VA over MD because there is a national survey about rankings of happiness of the 50 states plus DC, in which VA is #28 while MD is #40.

Happiest U.S. States Pinned Down | LiveScience

Since my current location, NY, is the most miserable state (#51), I would feel happier when I move to any other state including MD

Old 06-06-2011, 09:52 AM

146 posts, read 329,534 times
Def would not recommend living in NoVa if working in Rockville the commute will literally drive you insance. Like the others have said Bethesda is as good as any place in NoVa so def check it out even downtown rockville is nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or