Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 08:41 PM

721 posts, read 1,209,679 times

Advertisements

I have a job prospect in Rockville, MD, and I would like to find a nice 1BR apartment in NOVA.

My requirements are as follows:

- Preferably in a small house or a town house with space from adjacent buildings;
- Rent no more than $1600/month;
- Relatively easy commute by car;
- Very clean and modern interior;
- Friendly neighborhood;
- Reasonable access to shopping and entertainment center.

Since I know there are very few free-standing houses or town houses near the metropolitan area due to density of population, I may also consider a modern apartment building. However, it must be have good wall insulation so that noises from my neighbors will not cause me to lose sleep

Any advice on where to look for an apartment? If anyone can provide some names of communities, or realtor contacts, that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 10:13 PM

47 posts, read 93,775 times
Why not live in Rockville?
Yes, the taxes are higher in Montgomery County, but so is gas.

Does access to the metro matter at all?

Old 06-05-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0482 View Post
Why not live in Rockville?
Yes, the taxes are higher in Montgomery County, but so is gas.

Does access to the metro matter at all?
Some people say there is not much to do in Rockville. So I'll stay on the VA side.

Access to Metro would be ideal. Although I don't see an immediate need for metro, I'm sure I'll need it once in a while. It would be convenient to be able to hop on a train!

Old 06-05-2011, 07:13 AM

43 posts, read 82,474 times
- Relatively easy commute by car

I think this requirement should kill any thought about living in NOVA. I don't know if you realize that we have the worst traffic in the nation, and some of the most clueless drivers on the planet. If you want to avoid Rockville because it's boring, I suggest looking in Bethesda, MD, which is close to Rockville, full of young professionals, nightlife, restaurants and convenient access to Metro to get into D.C.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:40 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
Please don't live in NOVA - you won't like the commute and we don't need anymore people trying to get back and forth across the river every day. Bethesda, MD would be a very nice place for you to live.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into Bethesda, MD.

Any advice on realtors who have good reputation in Bethesda, MD? Any contact info would be appreciated!

Old 06-05-2011, 12:27 PM

855 posts, read 1,172,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
Some people say there is not much to do in Rockville. So I'll stay on the VA side.

Access to Metro would be ideal. Although I don't see an immediate need for metro, I'm sure I'll need it once in a while. It would be convenient to be able to hop on a train!

there's about as much to do in Rockville/Bethesda as there is on the 495 North side of NoVA, if not more. I spent some time in Bethesda this weekend...it's awesome! I really liked the city feel and all the shops and restaurants in a walkable area. Downtown Rockville is also a pretty cool section of town. I'd definitely look into Rockville--living near your job is money (literally) in this area.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:34 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
Try the MD board for specific recommendations, but do make it to Il Pizzico once you get settled.
Welcome to Il Pizzico

Old 06-05-2011, 02:00 PM

Since I've always focused on apartment-hunting in NOVA, I don't know much about Bethesda, MD.

Can anyone tell me the differences between NOVA and Bethesda, MD? Specifically, I want to know:

1) If people are as friendly and laid-back;

2) If the city is as livable, parking space, parks, etc;

3) Are most buildings in Bethesda, MD, highrises, or are there residential neighborhood with small private homes/houses?

4) How is the tax situation, are state taxes higher than NOVA?

Old 06-05-2011, 02:19 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,065 times
Bethesda is an upscale area with many great restaurants. Housing in Bethesda is generally expensive. Probably could get a much nicer place in Rockville for $1600 a month, and then drive/metro to Bethesda for entertainment.

The people in the Maryland forum will know a lot more-

http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...urbs-maryland/

I wouldn’t even consider Nova if I worked in Rockville. The traffic is just that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia