U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:17 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,929,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
You say "Standards for property appearance"
I hear "Help Preserve Value"
You say "enjoyable surroundings"
I hear "Help Preserve Value"
LOL sounds like you're twisting statements around so that you can hear what you've already decided you want to hear, not what people are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:22 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,929,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyR View Post
This is the bottom line....don't buy into a neighborhood that doesn't suit you.
I've never understood people who do that. There are plenty of non-HOA properties, so you're not forced to buy one.

I've also never understood why some people get their panties in a twist if other people enjoy living in an HOA. Why should that bother them?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:48 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,455,926 times
Our HOA isn't too bad. They get kinda picky on what color siding you can use, window framing, etc, but they're quick to get back to you with yes or no too. Newsletter is nice to let you know whats going on, but it's best for other things - the neighborhood always looks nice and the groundskeepers bust their butts to keep it that way, snow removal is fantastic - they had trucks out in the middle of snowmageddon starting to clear. Our streets were done when the storm ended. Can't say the same for the state roads though. Even after the third storm they didn't quit - brought in heavy equipment to start moving the snow. Had to find places to put it of course, but we dealt. We don't use the pool, but we do use the tennis court every so often - they put in a 12 foot fence to keep kids out, you have to get a key from the front office. They'll also back you up when you have issues with your neighbors - i've had to call the PD a few times on ours for noise, and i've warned them to quit trying to steal our parking spaces - our HOA has a towing company on-call. I have a feeling the homeowner didn't tell the people renting the house about that though, their problem, not mine.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:49 AM

198 posts, read 311,740 times
We recently bought a house we loved at a price we could afford in a location that allowed for a reasonable commute and access to things that are important to us in a neighborhood that seemed to be safe and family oriented. We never gave two minutes of thought about whether it was a neighborhood that had an HOA or not - all of the other criteria were far more important to us. It is a neighborhood with a small HOA (~25 homes, no pool or amenities), but I don't think we have ever even read the documents. So far we've had no issues, and the HOA organized a nice neighborhood block party last weekend that allowed us to finally meet some of the neighbors. I don't anticipate that we'll engage in any actions that would likely find us violating the rules so it's just never really been a major consideration for us. (Not saying we'll never do anything against the rules, but we don't have junk cars, high grass, outside decorations, crazy paint colors, commercial vehicles, etc. that seem to be common complaints.)

I did have a sort of funny experience in the townhouse community we left, though. (Let me say first that I moved in there after my boyfriend had purchased the place and lived there for a few years, so I never knew much about the HOA.) Our outside coach light by the garage needed to be replaced a couple years ago. I looked at the lights around the neighborhood (and the one we were replacing) to get an idea of the style and bought a similar one at Home Depot. When we sold the townhouse, we found out we had a violation. Apparently, the light was required to be brass and a certain style. The one I bought was black - all of the lights in the neighborhood, including ours, were so tarnished that I had no idea they were originally brass! Fortunately, we just had to pay the new owners the money for the "correct" light so it was an easy fix.

Last edited by NoVA_Lurker; 06-07-2011 at 07:58 AM..

Old 06-07-2011, 11:28 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,772,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVA_Lurker View Post
I did have a sort of funny experience in the townhouse community we left, though. (Let me say first that I moved in there after my boyfriend had purchased the place and lived there for a few years, so I never knew much about the HOA.) Our outside coach light by the garage needed to be replaced a couple years ago. I looked at the lights around the neighborhood (and the one we were replacing) to get an idea of the style and bought a similar one at Home Depot. When we sold the townhouse, we found out we had a violation. Apparently, the light was required to be brass and a certain style. The one I bought was black - all of the lights in the neighborhood, including ours, were so tarnished that I had no idea they were originally brass! Fortunately, we just had to pay the new owners the money for the "correct" light so it was an easy fix.
We had a similar experience many years ago in a townhome. About a year after we purchased it, (it was about 10 years old), and we received a notice from the HOA that our skylight was not approved. The skylight had been there for years before we even bought the property, and what on earth were we supposed to do about it, anyway? It was a small skylight, flat, and on the back side of the home. Someone would have had to go up on the hill in the adjoining neighborhood even to see it. But that's the kind of HOA it was - they would come around and peek through the fence into your backyard and then cite you for your screen door being the wrong color or style, or anything they could find. An HOA can be like the ultimate nosy neighbor. We're very happy not to have one anymore.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:01 PM

291 posts, read 495,767 times
We knew when we purchased our home that their was an HOA. I have no problem with it. Sure, when I make some changes I have to have their permission but I really don't care. It's not that big of a deal. They are very flexible (at least the ones that I have dealt with).

The only issue that I have is with cars that are no longer running, not working...I really don't know. They have taken the plates off, not paying PP tax, dead emmisions and inspection just sitting in their driveway. Not very pretty (their cars do not look nice). Why they keep them I do not know and the HOA does nothing about that but will give you a notice for a leaning mailbox.

Each HOA is different. I have never had a problem with any of mine.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:37 PM

13 posts, read 17,572 times
The real nuances like loser teenagers pumping music out of their cars or young adults with loud exhaust systems, the HOA is powerless against.

I just find it laughable that so many have this 'guvmint ain't tell me what to do' yet have no problem with a HOA.

Some say you we have a choice, well not exactly; certainly not in NoVA, where a vast majority of new housing developments are typically HOA only.

Of course like anything in life, a HOA does have its pros. Where I grew up, we did not need a HOA, as most rules found in a HOA agreement, were legislated by the county anyway. What was not legislated were things like having the same lamp color or needing to acquire permission from your neighbors to install a storm door.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:58 AM

487 posts, read 1,213,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL sounds like you're twisting statements around so that you can hear what you've already decided you want to hear, not what people are saying.
Twisting is such a loaded word
I prefer Interpretation
Finding the emotion behind the words.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:11 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,455,926 times
Interesting thing about our HOA that i'm not sure if others do, is they can bill you for damage from those clunkers. We have assigned parking spaces (no driveways), and if you let a car leak in one of them and don't/can't clean it, the HOA can bill you for repairs to the pavement. Also means that if it's not tagged, dead tagged, etc, it can still be towed. Keeps the number of those vehicles down too, let me tell you. Though we do still wind up with the occasionall "running" jalopy (such as one of my neighbors. Busted cadillac, peeling paint, sagging shocks and a missing muffler. Sounds like a harley when they start it. Very annoying.)

Old 02-04-2013, 03:23 PM

38 posts, read 37,017 times
In my previous neighborhood, my HOA president told us it was ok to park in front of our clubhouse and that they don't enforce towing there. We had this conversation with him because I asked why they removed the permit only signs that were placed in front of each space. Fast forward 6 months or so my mother's car is towed from one of those spots. We thought it was stolen but low and behold it was towed and the HOA president denied ever saying that it was okay to park there and said the association wouldn't refund us. Jerk. I think, like a previous poster said, the HOA is as good as the people that run it. I'm so glad we got out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia