Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:31 PM
JYN JYN started this thread

2 posts, read 6,640 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Fairfax county and was wondering what the safest metro station was to use (well lit, shortest distance from metro to parking garage, uncommon for car break-ins, uncommon for robberies).

I've seen the one at Vienna/GMU and it doesn't look bad, but then I saw it in the daytime and I have no idea what it's like at night. Does anyone have a preferred stations or stations where they feel most comfortable using?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 06:05 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
We use West Falls Church because it's the most convenient. FWIW, I've often used it at night and feel it's safe. Of course, it's always smart to use a little street sense when walking to any parking lot late at night, but we've never had any encounters that made us feel uncomfortable.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:10 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
I don't think any of the Orange Line Metro stations would be considered unsafe. I might exercise a slight bit of caution in the late evening at the Huntington station (Yellow Line, just across from the Alexandria city line). I have no idea about late night at the Franconia/Springfield station (Blue Line).

Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYN View Post
I recently moved to Fairfax county and was wondering what the safest metro station was to use (well lit, shortest distance from metro to parking garage, uncommon for car break-ins, uncommon for robberies).

I've seen the one at Vienna/GMU and it doesn't look bad, but then I saw it in the daytime and I have no idea what it's like at night. Does anyone have a preferred stations or stations where they feel most comfortable using?
All of above ground stops are very safe in Nova.

The problem is theft on the Metro while its in motion. My DH takes Metro from DunnLoring to Capitol Hill round trip for 4+ years now. Every couple weeks he's seen a teenager try or successfully steal ipads, ipods, fancy phone, etc. This usually happens in the underground stops, right next to the doors. Its a quick grab and run. Girls can rip their earrings out when the perp rips the earbuds out.

Stand in the middle of the car, keep one ear clear of an earbud.

I use Metro during the offrush with my son. I feel pretty safe from crime and I've used public transportation internationally. I'm much more concerned for Metro train/equipment problems and bedbugs on the train.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:05 PM
JYN JYN started this thread

2 posts, read 6,640 times
great (well, except for the pickpocketing)

I checked out the falls church metro and it looks like it's in a good, well-traveled area with a housing community and lots of stuff going on nearby. The garage is also literally right next to the metro and it looks well-lit. I'll probably use that one.

too bad to hear about the theft on-train. Do they snatch bags off of people too? or just small things that they're wearing? I think I'll follow your advice though and just stand in the middle of the train. thanks

Old 06-07-2011, 01:07 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYN View Post
great (well, except for the pickpocketing)

too bad to hear about the theft on-train. Do they snatch bags off of people too? or just small things that they're wearing? I think I'll follow your advice though and just stand in the middle of the train. thanks
No bags. Think of things teens want: Ipods, Nooks, hand held Nintendos, ipads, stuff like that.
Again I ride with my small son and I'm not worried as I sit away from the doors, don't have (nor would display) those techy things. You are safe otherwise.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:17 AM

5 posts, read 7,921 times
Several years ago, there was a rash of sexual assaults (groping, lifting of skirts) in the Vienna Metro station area. This was several years ago but it lasted over a multi-year period. I'm not sure if they ever found the suspect(s). I don't think the incidents happened on Metro property, but when I first moved nearby there in 1999, there was an incident that happened on a Metro walkway near a parking garage. But that was 12 years ago.

I'm not adding this to scare the original poster or cause him/her to eye every commuter with suspicion. In short, whatever line you use (Orange, Blue, Red, Green), just keep your street smarts about you.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:29 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Then just stay home. To have to ask which Fairfax cty Metro station is the safest is laughable. Your drive to the Metro station will be statistically much more dangerous then any time spent within the system.

This kind of fear is unacceptable from anyone over 10!

Old 06-09-2011, 08:29 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magsieva View Post
Several years ago, there was a rash of sexual assaults (groping, lifting of skirts) in the Vienna Metro station area. This was several years ago but it lasted over a multi-year period.
There were actually five such skirt-lifting or pants-tugging incidents in the vicinity of the Vienna Metro, all occurring over a three-week period in the late summer of 2006. A single similar incident was reported in the Spring of 2007. Not sure if that's really a rash. Not sure if that's really sexual assault. Not sure if that's really a multi-year period.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:23 PM

8 posts, read 11,095 times
I live near the Vienna Metro & use it often, both peak times & not. I have never felt unsafe or seen anything sketchy whatsoever. I've even been on the last train late at night with few people around & never felt worried. Obviously you want to be aware of your surroundings and conscious of your belongings when maneuvering around, but this is true anywhere. I've never felt I needed a heightened awareness to be secure here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia