U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:36 AM

5 posts, read 12,840 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I would like to know if there is anybody doing the commute from Fairfax (Fair Lakes etc) to Suitland, MD or the vicinity.
I am planning to rent a TH there and wanted to how bad the commute? My job will be in Suitland.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 12:01 PM

223 posts, read 1,064,257 times
Hello. I live in Alexandria. While I don't make the commute you mention, I'm familiar enough with the region's roadways. If you want to live in the Chantilly area of Fairfax, your commute to Suitland will probably be at least an hour each way. You'll be battling serious and long-term construction along the Beltway between Tysons and Springfield, another construction project in Alexandria, and general congestion along both 50 and 66. If I were you, I'd look for places closer to the Wilson Bridge if you want to stay in Virginia.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:47 PM

384 posts, read 898,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advaita View Post
Hi,
I would like to know if there is anybody doing the commute from Fairfax (Fair Lakes etc) to Suitland, MD or the vicinity.
I am planning to rent a TH there and wanted to how bad the commute? My job will be in Suitland.

Thanks in advance!
It is at least an hour. One of my former co-workers used to commute from Centreville to Suitland and it took him at least an hour every day.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:33 AM

5,733 posts, read 8,919,318 times
If I were you, I would be a lot more worried about the crime in Suitland than the commute to it. Have you read the crime stats for Suitland?

From Wikipedia: "The Suitland-Silver Hill area is known as having one of the highest crime rates in Prince George's County. The Suitland Manor neighborhood, located at the intersections of Maryland Route 218 (Suitland Road) and Maryland Route 458 (Silver Hill Road) has been targeted for demolition by the county because of the frequent occurrence of violent crime and drug trafficking in the area."

Old 08-13-2011, 12:00 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,592,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
If I were you, I would be a lot more worried about the crime in Suitland than the commute to it. Have you read the crime stats for Suitland?

From Wikipedia: "The Suitland-Silver Hill area is known as having one of the highest crime rates in Prince George's County. The Suitland Manor neighborhood, located at the intersections of Maryland Route 218 (Suitland Road) and Maryland Route 458 (Silver Hill Road) has been targeted for demolition by the county because of the frequent occurrence of violent crime and drug trafficking in the area."
Yes it's true that suitland is a dump but if these individuals are working at the sfcc the whole premises is completely fenced in. We also have a cafe, a gym, credit unions, and a daycare so it really isn't necessary to venture out past the gates. Btw suitland manor was tore down years ago.

To the op, I have co-workers who have traveled as far as chantilly, dale city, lorton,fredericksburg, baltimore and even delaware! I myself plan on moving to nova and I have found that there are many options outside of driving. I recommend you getting in contact with the transportation office as they will give you all the options available (commuter bus, metro, vanpool, carpool, etc.). Good luck.

And to eaglecommute I responded to you on the md forum.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:25 PM

384 posts, read 898,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advaita View Post
Hi,

Thanks in advance!
I worked with people that lived in Centreville and worked there. It takes at least an hour and sometimes worse due to the traffic on 66.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:55 AM

798 posts, read 1,729,814 times
With most construction finished, how bad is the commute currently from the Centreville part of Fairfax County?

I understand the US Census has flex, meaning teleworking 2X week, 4X10, or hours starting at 6 AM.
If you worked an early shift, would this be relatively easy?

Old 07-07-2014, 05:31 PM

7,964 posts, read 18,016,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
With most construction finished, how bad is the commute currently from the Centreville part of Fairfax County?

I understand the US Census has flex, meaning teleworking 2X week, 4X10, or hours starting at 6 AM.
If you worked an early shift, would this be relatively easy?
Would you be commuting to Suitland?

Old 07-07-2014, 06:02 PM

128 posts, read 126,497 times
Using Metro may be easier than driving there. You could find a Metro bus which will take you to the Pentagon, hop on the Yellow Line train at the Pentagon station to "Mount Vernon Square" (upper platform) straight across the river to L'Enfant Plaza, where you will cross to the opposite side of the same platform to get on the Green Line to "Branch Avenue" where you would get off. If you can find a local bus or slug-line to take you to and from to the Pentagon station, you're set. How long depends on the route to the Pentagon and train delays.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:41 PM

798 posts, read 1,729,814 times
Yes, I would be commuting. No, I want to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or