U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 01:35 PM

19 posts, read 43,621 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am trying to help a friend with his upcoming move. He has been reassigned to Andrews Air Force Base and he has decided that he would like to live in Alexandria, Va. Neither one of us is familiar with the area so we are hoping that some nice people would advise us about which neighborhoods might be safe.

He is 40-ish, single guy, no kids. He would like to have access to nice restaurants, shopping and entertainment. As I mentioned, he will be working at Andrews so he would like to get as close as possible to Andrews while still staying in a place that is safe and has the aforementioned amenities. He is hoping to spend between $2000-
$2300/month for rent.

We were previously looking at cities closer to Andrews but after a little research, we understand that those areas may have more issues with crime.

Thank you for any help that you can provide!

Last edited by Mira5; 06-10-2011 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: grammar error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 02:05 PM

8,777 posts, read 10,684,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira5 View Post
Hello. I am trying to help a friend with his upcoming move. He has been reassigned to Andrews Air Force Base and he has decided that he would like to live in Alexandria, Va. Neither one of us is familiar with the area so we are hoping that some nice people would advise us about which neighborhoods might be safe.

He is 40-ish, single guy, no kids. He would like to have access to nice restaurants, shopping and entertainment. As I mentioned, he will be working at Andrews so he would like to get as close as possible to Andrews while still staying in a place that is safe and has the aforementioned amenities. He is hoping to spend between $2000-
$2300/month for rent.

We were previously looking at cities closer to Andrews but after a little research, we understand that those areas may have more issues with crime.

Thank you for any help that you can provide!

that budget should be enough for at least a 1BR in old town, or a 2 br immediately adjacent to old town, I guess. Which would give you plenty in the way of restaurants, shops, etc and be as close to AAFB as you can get in Virginia. Old town is generally all gentrified and 'safe' - I think there is one housing project left, but even that doesnt have that much crime and hasnt deterred gentrification right across the street - and I think in that budget housing can be found elsewhere in Old town.

edit: it looks like carlisle place, an new hi rise development right near old town (and very hand to the beltway leading to AAFB) has 2br's for just under 2500. Id give that a look, if a newish 2br is important. To rent in oldtown proper, Id think one would be looking at something smaller or not so new.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:10 PM

2,672 posts, read 4,524,961 times
I'm sure Tone will chime in with better info than I can, but he sounds like a perfect candidate for Old Town Alexandria, especially if he likes older homes and doesn't want a SFH. He might have to settle for a smaller place than what he could get for that budget in less desirable neighborhoods.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:11 PM

oops

looks like he wants a 3br, and prefers a sfh over th.

thats a whole different kettle of fish. forget old town.

take a look at Annandale. Its got a lot of restaurants, mostly, but not all korean, and some shops. Its very handy to the beltway leading to AAFB (and has good access to Tysons for non local shopping). It has a mix of housing - a 3br SFH in that range would be VERY doable, maybe even a 4BR. Its a diverse area, with people of EVERY major group, living in pretty good harmony for the most part.

old town and its amenities will be on the way home.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:16 PM

223 posts, read 1,065,649 times
I live in Alexandria and I echo what the poster above mentioned about what your friend's budget allows for. With that said, I recommend that your friend do a little research before moving into an apartment in Alexandria. Rents are currently hyper-inflated in Old Town -- especially in the "luxury" apartment communities around the King St. Metro. Your friend might be able to find a better deal/bang for his buck by checking out CL or local real estate brokers. Often, condos are available for rent.

The City of Alexandria also includes the West End, which has numerous high-rise apartments and condos. I have nothing against the West End; I lived there for five years a long time ago. However, given your friend's budget and interests in restaurants and shops, the Old Town area will probably be a better fit for him. If you see ads for places along Van Dorn St., Yoakum Pkwy., or with easy access to I-395, these will be in the West End.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:18 PM

he wants at least a TH (but prefers a SFH) and at least 3 BR. He can get a better deal on that in Annandale than in Landmark. the commute on the beltway wont be much longer from Annandale, and I think he will find annandale more comfy. the diversity of restaurants and shops will be better in landmark than annandale of course, but kimchi does grow on you.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:53 PM

Default Thank you!

Thank you for the quick replies. My friend is flying in tomorrow and we plan to visit Alexandria and hopefully view a couple of prospective rental properties. I love him dearly but he is a very last-minute kind of guy!

When we first started talking about his housing needs, he wanted a 3 bedroom SFH or TH. However, after looking at the listings, he has re-evaluated what is important. He now feels that a 1 or 2 bedroom would suffice. Proximity to Andrews is important so he'd like to be as close as possible while remaining in Alexandria. He's hoping for a garage but from what I'm seeing, he may have to give up on that idea.

Could anyone suggest the zip codes that we should focus on? Also, is it true that the area north of the beltway is better in terms of commute to Andrews?

A very big thanks to the good people who took the time to help!

Old 06-10-2011, 03:00 PM

223 posts, read 1,065,649 times
22314 is his best bet. That covers pretty much all of Old Town.

The City of Alexandria (and Old Town) is north of the Beltway. South of the Beltway is an unincorporated area of Fairfax County that confusingly carries an Alexandria postal address. I suggest staying north of the Beltway -- not so much in terms of commute, but in terms of what your friend is looking for amenity-wise.

Good luck!

PS -- Several apartment and condo communities have underground parking, so a garage may not be completely out of the question.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:45 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,941,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee.peddler View Post
22314 is his best bet. That covers pretty much all of Old Town.

The City of Alexandria (and Old Town) is north of the Beltway. South of the Beltway is an unincorporated area of Fairfax County that confusingly carries an Alexandria postal address. I suggest staying north of the Beltway -- not so much in terms of commute, but in terms of what your friend is looking for amenity-wise.

Good luck!

PS -- Several apartment and condo communities have underground parking, so a garage may not be completely out of the question.
one thing to consider is that the traffic on route 1 north heading up from south of the beltway is horrible. there's a reason prices in old town are "hyperinflated" - because the commute times into the city are exponentially better than south of there.

if he's concentrating on alexandria, i'd stick to either 22314 or just south of the beltway in fort hunt/belle haven (the fake fairfax part of town as was mentioned). he'll get a little more for his money down there.

you don't want to go too far down route 1 south of alexandria. it gets a little dicey and ugly the closer you get to ft. belvoir. and honestly, if you're commuting over the wilson bridge every morning, you don't want to live any further out in virginia than that at all unless you like sitting in traffic.

too bad this wasn't a few months ago. i own a condo in north old town that i could've rented to him.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:26 AM

Default Thank you!

Hello. I just wanted to thank the good people that responded. My friend and I visited Old Town this weekend and he loved it. He found a few places that are available for rent so he should have a place in the next few days.

Thanks so much for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia