Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 06:22 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times

Advertisements

Police officers ask everyone where they're going when they pull someone over. That is routine. And it also really matters on 66 because Dulles Airport travelers are exempt from the HOV rules.

Virginia also has one of the highest concentrations of African-Americans in the US, albeit not as high as Maryland.

I could ***** about the speed cameras I have to slow down for in Maryland, but I don't. I pay attention, slow down, and then speed back up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 06:31 AM

518 posts, read 924,613 times
GPS' really need to add HOV as an exclusion. I am confused how you missed the signs though. It is clearly marked on the exit signs.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8732...UQDQ!2e0?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8775...Pnqg!2e0?hl=en

Old 07-11-2014, 06:59 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
GPS' really need to add HOV as an exclusion. I am confused how you missed the signs though. It is clearly marked on the exit signs.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8732...UQDQ!2e0?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8775...Pnqg!2e0?hl=en
That's easier said than done on 66 since it's based on the time of day but I think it should be able to be done. The GPS has the time of day right?

I was impressed to see that google maps on the iPhone now knows when you're in the 95 HOV lanes and what HOV exits you can take.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:00 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
The same thing happened to me when I was much younger. Coming home from girlfriends house in Reston in the morning and I didn't realize where the tollroad dumped me onto 66 was HOV. Didn't notice the signs and got a ticket. Live & learn. I don't know what other oppressive laws VA has.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:26 PM

163 posts, read 314,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despise Norther VA View Post
I have lived in Maryland for most of my life and even as a child I was told that you shouldn't go to Virginia because of the laws, the fact they are a commonwealth, and other issues. I have friends and family members who travel to Townson, New York, Pennsylvania, etc to shop because they do not under any circumstance go to Virginia because of the laws. I am sure Virginia is not hurt by that because most of them are African Americans and that is not Northern Virginias target market however today I broke that rule and went to Northern Virginia. Not to work or anything like that I went to support a friend at a new Yoga Studio and mapped out the trip before I got there. Every single GPS told me to take 66E from 495 and get off on the first exit. Following the directions I didn't see the signs and was pulled over.

I understand that I should have stayed on the other side of the bridge however after I was pulled over I was interrogated. The officer asked me why I was in Virginia, where I was coming from and where I was going? None of which mater since I was going to get the ticket anyway. He then gave me the ticket and said you don't have to come back to Virginia to pay it.

I will pay the ticket and let it go however I will continue to keep my money out of Virginia and encourage others to do the same.

I've been pulled over more than a few times in various states and each and every time, I've been asked a few baseline questions like "where were you going? did you have anything to drink tonight? do you know how fast were you going? do you have any weapons I need to know about?, if I search, will I find any drugs? where were you coming from?" in addition to being frisked after a passenger mouthed off and guess what, I'm not African American.

You made a wrong turn, we all make wrong turns every now and then, your race has nothing to do with it. The only color they care about is green.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:57 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Any officer who does not ask a few questions is not doing their job. A criminal will trip up almost immediately in their answers. They will be nervous or answer a question with a question. A well trained officer will know within a few questions if they are dealing with everyday Jane or Joe or someone with something to hide. The questions are not designed to offend anyone nor are they race specific.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
I salute your maturity. Most others would have whined about how the system is unfair, how the cop was corrupt, how the traffic is to be blamed, how other drivers need to be pulled over as well, etc. etc.

Five thumbs up to you!
I was stopped for HOV violation $192, my issue is the State Police do selective ticketing, while I was waiting for summons 7 cars violating HOV were allowed to pass by another officer also 3 got warnings, I got a ticket, I am going to court just to point this out, if it's a law everyone needs to be ticketed, not just disabled Vietnam Veterans

Old 03-23-2016, 05:36 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Sigh........

Old 03-24-2016, 05:12 AM

1,386 posts, read 998,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newvadad View Post
I've been pulled over more than a few times in various states and each and every time, I've been asked a few baseline questions like "where were you going? did you have anything to drink tonight? do you know how fast were you going? do you have any weapons I need to know about?...where were you coming from?"
To which you reply, "Officer, I respectfully decline to answer those questions."

Quote:
Originally Posted by newvadad View Post
...if I search, will I find any drugs?
To which you reply, "Officer, respectfully, I do NOT consent to a search of my vehicle."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Any officer who does not ask a few questions is not doing their job.
Interestingly, I was stopped for speeding a couple of months ago on the Beltway. The VA state trooper spoke maybe 10 words to me in total. He asked NO questions. It was pretty clear he was only interested in issuing the ticket.

--

Old 03-24-2016, 06:44 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyspeed View Post
i was stopped for hov violation $192, my issue is the state police do selective ticketing, while i was waiting for summons 7 cars violating hov were allowed to pass by another officer also 3 got warnings, i got a ticket, i am going to court just to point this out, if it's a law everyone needs to be ticketed, not just disabled vietnam veterans
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia