U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 11:31 AM

3,156 posts, read 8,102,965 times

Advertisements

This thread is the polar opposite of what I experienced. I went Friday night and it was the most packed Friday night I've ever seen at the fair. Long (but moving) lines for everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 11:32 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,855,154 times
Reston Festival is one of my favorites. However Reston has another fair in the early fall that's kind of boring. I think it's called the International Fair or something like that. The Saturday night concerts at Reston Town Center are also usually pretty good.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:56 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,954,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibaba1579 View Post
Can I ask where you parked? We have free tickets and were thinking of checking it out just for a couple of hours this afternoon. But, I have 2 little kids and really don't want to deal with the shuttle bus, since we're taking a stroller. The website says that there is limited parking on site, but expect it to be full. Is this true?
I was there this morning, there's a free parking garage on site. Can't promise anything but it wasn't very crowded when I left. Because of the heat, people didn't seem to be staying all day, so spaces were continually opening up.

I went as a volunteer, I personally wouldn't pay money to go. I think JEB had a good point, there are a lot of more local events this time of year that may be more appealing to people.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:19 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,855,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
I think JEB had a good point, there are a lot of more local events this time of year that may be more appealing to people.
I've never understood why they try to do everything in the summer months. The weather is actually nicer in April and May, as well as after Labor Day. I have the same gripe with the free concerts. During the summer there are too many, and then when I have time after Labor Day the concert series all come to a crashing halt. I'd like to see these events spread out a little more.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:32 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,638,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I've never understood why they try to do everything in the summer months. The weather is actually nicer in April and May, as well as after Labor Day. I have the same gripe with the free concerts. During the summer there are too many, and then when I have time after Labor Day the concert series all come to a crashing halt. I'd like to see these events spread out a little more.
The one that kills me (and yet we go every year anyway) is the Potomac Celtic Festival. The poor dancers always look like they are roasting. They have actually cancelled it for 2011 for a variety of reasons, one being declining attendance. More people would probably come if it weren't always so darn hot.

This year, Brambleton decided to scale back its Freedom Fest to put more resources towards Fall Fest, which is better attended. Also, they reasoned that since their events are primarily for residents, why not focus on the one that happens when fewer people are out of town on vacation? Makes sense to me.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:35 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,403,779 times
I didn't even know Fairfax Co. had a county fair! Does Arlington County have one?

Old 06-12-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Totally agree.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I didn't even know Fairfax Co. had a county fair! Does Arlington County have one?
Yes, I haven't been to it but I always hear about it:

Arlington County Fair 2011 - Arlington, Virginia

I've also heard that the Prince William fair is good.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:36 PM

11,386 posts, read 20,190,818 times
We usually try to go to the Arlington Cty. fair - unless it's rainy It's "okay", no great shakes but it's free (I believe the shuttle changed the last year or so and is maybe a dollar?) - if it's decent weather, it's worth it to me (us, but me mostly dragging him, LOL) - check out the local indoor art things (kids grow veggies, artwork, etc.). Outdoors it's the usual: overpriced junk food, rides, games of chance, etc. - and pig races.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:12 PM

8,556 posts, read 12,636,569 times
Yes, we've been to the Arlington County fair several times. The rides are pretty much the same ones at Viva Vienna - by Cole Entertainment. They sometimes have pig races which my husband enjoys. .

They have a nice indoor section which is very county-fairish. There are displays of homemade jams, quilts, and other things people have grown or made. Some have blue ribbons on them, so there is some kind of judging for it. Then they have the usual booths - like Arlington recylces, banks, and other Arlington businesses. It's usually in August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia