Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 01:11 PM

5 posts, read 9,966 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area and have put off a haircut/highlight as long as I possibly can....after having left behind a wonderful stylist from the last 8 years

I am looking for someone (male or female) who is current on latest trends and actually listens to you when you tell them what you want. I don't equate quality with price but am willing to paying higher prices for GREAT work. (I know that may get some people ruffled and I am all about cutting costs and can wear less expensive clothing and cook rather than eat out.... but have had way too many bad haircuts to take the cheap route with my hair). Of course, I'd be happy to go to someone highly regarded with lower prices..

Recommendations anyone? A salon that can also do eyebrows and mani's is a plus but not required.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 02:30 PM

648 posts, read 1,333,676 times
DON'T go to Hair Cuttery in Chantilly.

I was in your same predicament and I hadn't found a new salon to go to - and I desperately needed a trim. My bf suggested Hair Cuttery or one of those chain places, and I said I didn't like to go to establishments like that because they can mess up something really easy.

"How can they possibly mess up a trim?" he asked...
I now wear my hair in a bun until it grows out again. I still need to find a GREAT salon that can fix it (also to re-do my blonde hair), but I'm extremely gun shy. I'm just waiting to see someone who has hair that I love and just ask them where they go. I hear that's the best way to do it!

But, if you find an awesome place, let me know! I'll go to DC, but there are so many salons, it's overwhelming.

But blm92, I can recommend Luci at Celadon spa in DC for brows... I'm crazy about my eyebrows, and she did a good job with them. She will either wax or tweeze them.

Last edited by katyusha25; 02-11-2011 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: typo!

Old 02-11-2011, 02:32 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,726,518 times
I love my salon, Salon Prive in Lorton Station, I use Omar. Followed him from Jon David in Springfield.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:39 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,314,460 times
PR Partners has a good rep and I liked them. BUT, I ended up going to Bubbles at Dulles Town Center (Jovanna) and I swear by her. I moved to Richmond and am thinking I have to drive back for my cuts. I had NEVER received compliments on my hair until she got her hands on it...people would stop their cars in parking lots to ask me where I got it done. I am looking shabby now b/c I miss her and don't want anyone else touching it, lol!

Good luck! Oh, and cuts were $45. Cut and Color was about $150.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:47 PM

393 posts, read 1,202,629 times
I've heard good things about Salon De Belle Cheveux in Leesburg.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:48 PM

696 posts, read 1,694,667 times
I go to PR Partners in Oakton and LOVE Courtney. My color/highlights have never looked so good!

Old 02-12-2011, 09:51 AM

303 posts, read 917,958 times
Maude in Herndon is a fabulous salon. They're good on conservative cuts (mine) but also up on the latest trends. They usually (always?) make the list of the best in Northern Virginia Magazine. Maude Hair.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:59 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
I've been pretty pleased with Tranquility Day Spa in Manassas. I found them as a recommendation from a friend.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:42 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
I love my salon, Salon Prive in Lorton Station, I use Omar. Followed him from Jon David in Springfield.
Salon Prive is GREAT. I've been here for 6 years and had rather poor luck with hair salons until I went to them--and I was just getting a basic haircut.

Omar and John are incredibly talented at cutting hair, and they have good sense for what will/won't work with a person's hair and features. The receptionist is so pleasant and friendly. I referred two people to them, and they were both very happy with their haircuts--the haircuts looked great, and the styles were easy to manage.

Hope you find a hair salon that you are happy with. I know how hard it is to try a new place. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2011, 08:35 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,209 times
I am incredibly picky about my hair would probably go without food rather than sacrifice a good haircut. I have curly hair, which is really difficult and easy to completely screw up. I have had two really great hairdressers in this area. The first is Dawn Farrell, who is now at Frizzles in Springfield (formerly was at Positive Image). Very up on the latest trends. I went to her for about 10 years. She was even mentioned in the Washingtonian at one point. Lately I've been going to another hairdresser I like out in Gainesville (more convenient for me right now). Her name is Traci and she's at Salon Nordine in Gainesville. She's also excellent and is really good at listening to what you want and delivering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia