Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:37 PM

8 posts, read 87,594 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Long-time lurker; first-time poster. I'm a wannabe first-time homebuyer with a very limited budget (less than $250K). After lots of online research, neighborhood drive bys and home visits with an agent, I've come to really like the Cardinal Forest community in West Springfield.

And while my agent is being very supportive of me taking interest in Cardinal Forest, she gets excited every time I mention possible interest about anything in the Beltway. She has said a few times that a one-bedroom in the Beltway might be better than a smaller townhouse outside the Beltway. (Barely! Kinda like the Falls Church area off of Rte. 50. Or maybe Fairlington.)

I still feel like I'm going to feel more at home for a longer time in a two-bedroom townhouse vs. a one-bedroom condo. I'm mid-30s, comfortable in my career, don't intend to buy again for 7-10 years (maybe longer). While I'm currently single and without kids, I know that my life could change in 5 years, before I'm ready to sell.

Am I overthinking the importance of resale? Is it ALWAYS Location, Location, Location? Is INSIDE the Beltway the only location that matters?

Cardinal Forest feels right for me. The commuting options (a priority) are plentiful, the schools are highly recommended, and I'm a sucker for lakes, parks and green space. The idea of living in what essentially seems like an apartment complex, even if in the Beltway, kinda depresses me.

I'm sure there's no easy answer. But any guidance is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 08:55 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Sounds like your mind is made up. Not sure why you'd let your realtor convince you otherwise?

And of course inside the beltway isn't the only location that matters...obviously you'd rather live outside the beltway, and so will someone else when you go to sell it

Old 06-15-2011, 09:00 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab123 View Post
Hi all,

Long-time lurker; first-time poster. I'm a wannabe first-time homebuyer with a very limited budget (less than $250K). After lots of online research, neighborhood drive bys and home visits with an agent, I've come to really like the Cardinal Forest community in West Springfield.

And while my agent is being very supportive of me taking interest in Cardinal Forest, she gets excited every time I mention possible interest about anything in the Beltway. She has said a few times that a one-bedroom in the Beltway might be better than a smaller townhouse outside the Beltway. (Barely! Kinda like the Falls Church area off of Rte. 50. Or maybe Fairlington.)

I still feel like I'm going to feel more at home for a longer time in a two-bedroom townhouse vs. a one-bedroom condo. I'm mid-30s, comfortable in my career, don't intend to buy again for 7-10 years (maybe longer). While I'm currently single and without kids, I know that my life could change in 5 years, before I'm ready to sell.

Am I overthinking the importance of resale? Is it ALWAYS Location, Location, Location? Is INSIDE the Beltway the only location that matters?

Cardinal Forest feels right for me. The commuting options (a priority) are plentiful, the schools are highly recommended, and I'm a sucker for lakes, parks and green space. The idea of living in what essentially seems like an apartment complex, even if in the Beltway, kinda depresses me.

I'm sure there's no easy answer. But any guidance is appreciated.
Well for starters you are the one buying the place not your realtor and you are the one who has to live in the place not your realtor. It is a big investment and I feel that you need to buy what you want not anyone else, remember too you plan of staying there for a long time! You want to be comfortable all that time. It seems to me the place outside the beltway is what you would rather have so I say cut out the condos closer in and get serious about the TH's in Springfield. And if your still unsure I would also suggest maybe renting a TH in this area of Springfield for 6 months before buying to see if it is truely what you want. The commute will be worth it to come home to a place you love rather than a shorter drive to a place you hate. Good luck!

Old 06-15-2011, 09:00 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Why move to an area you don't like, or to a smaller unit that you do not prefer because your agent gets excited? One reason as to why some agents may get excited is the resale, when you marry or start a family, since a young family, or even a couple would have to move out of a 1BR sooner than they would from a 2BR unit, so there could be motivation for additional sales. Location is one thing, but if you are miserable, then it's not worthy of consideration, regardless as to what another person thinks you want, especially when they are not a disinterested party.

West Springfield is a very stable community, and is more suburban than Fairlington, to be sure, but it seems that you prefer the easier access to parkland nearby, and the larger unit. Fairlington and Park Fairfax are established neighborhoods, with many similar units nearby, so it's not as if you are buying in a unique area that's set to appreciate faster, especially since there is potential for new supply in adjacent areas of more modern units, and there are limits as to what you could do to maximize return in an existing community, due to market forces and condo restrictions.

So, my advice would be to buy what you like, where you like, and if that's Cardinal Forest, a good agent should respect your choice and not attempt to influence your decision by purchasing a smaller unit in an area that you do not like as much.

Good luck with your home decision.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-15-2011, 09:08 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,381,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab123 View Post
Yes, it is always location, location, location, but no, inside the Beltway is not all that counts.

Access to transportation and good schools will be a much greater predictor of resale than a simple in/out of the Beltway determination.

Cardinal Forest appears to have both of those, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:09 PM

8 posts, read 87,594 times
Thanks all! This is what I've been thinking. There's just so much information, and it can be overwhelming. I'm doing my best to make a decision that I want while also paying attention to things like potential resale in the future. SO many things to consider!

These responses are all very helpful and appreciated.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 PM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
I agree that you should do what feels right to you and not be swayed. Best of luck!

Old 06-15-2011, 09:32 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,672 times
Cardinal Forest is a great neighborhood, in a great location. I looked at several units there with family members who were house-hunting. Maybe it's time to change agents. Seriously! You're the one buying, not your agent.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:51 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,703 times
One of my buddies lives in Cardinal Forest. It's a great area.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:56 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,404,942 times
ab123--Cardinal Forest is a great neighborhood. I don't live there, but my daughter's school is in the area and I've driven through it often (we're moving out of state in a few days). We love the all-brick townhouses and apartments (it's beautiful in autumn!), the comfortable, neighborly feeling, the nice walking paths (one goes to Lake Accotink Park), and the trees. It feels safe, there are many professionals in the area, it's close to the police/fire stations, and you can walk to Whole Foods, Panera, a remodeled Giant, Einstein bagels, and the Post Office. Cardinal Shell station is great for car maintenance.

With more workers being transferred to Fort Belvoir, I feel it is a very good location. It's also convenient to get to other parts of the county.

Best wishes in finding your home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia