U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,814 times

Advertisements

Well, I wasn't going to post on here as I figured I'd be able to sort this all out on my own. WRONG. Coming from western new york and staying in tysons corner this is quite a culture shock. Backstory: Recently got a job out a bit north of dulles (near the wegmans) and I'm on a place to live-hunting trip. I'm a 25 year old single guy and have only a few people I know out here. I've been informed that living partway between DC and work would be great as I could visit the city for exciting social stuff and as I'm going away from the crazy traffic the commute would be sub one hour. I'd LIKE to be within walking distance to a metro as that would provide easy solutions to the consumption of alcohol at night with new friends and in an area that has shops/groceries/bars/etc within walking distance to feel urban. For the life of me I can't find a single bedroom for under 1500 that I like. I've been looking mainly in tysons corner and falls church, arlington would be nice but is further from work and I hear more expensive So far my only luck has been Peachtree of McLean and Vantage of Merrifield and both of those will be ~1700 with utilities I've been using craigslist but so far only found sketchy people or places that are WAYYY too small to be sharing. Am I stuck with this for a year or so until I build up a decent friend base and find something with them? Should I suck it up and move farther away from DC and live in a more-boring town? Any help would be great! TL;DR Moving to nova Need: place to stay sub 2k as easy of a drive to north of dulles as possible Want: walking metro access walking shops/grocery Suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 12:26 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,862,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaXplant View Post
Well, I wasn't going to post on here as I figured I'd be able to sort this all out on my own. WRONG. Coming from western new york and staying in tysons corner this is quite a culture shock. Backstory: Recently got a job out a bit north of dulles (near the wegmans) and I'm on a place to live-hunting trip. I'm a 25 year old single guy and have only a few people I know out here. I've been informed that living partway between DC and work would be great as I could visit the city for exciting social stuff and as I'm going away from the crazy traffic the commute would be sub one hour. I'd LIKE to be within walking distance to a metro as that would provide easy solutions to the consumption of alcohol at night with new friends and in an area that has shops/groceries/bars/etc within walking distance to feel urban. For the life of me I can't find a single bedroom for under 1500 that I like. I've been looking mainly in tysons corner and falls church, arlington would be nice but is further from work and I hear more expensive So far my only luck has been Peachtree of McLean and Vantage of Merrifield and both of those will be ~1700 with utilities I've been using craigslist but so far only found sketchy people or places that are WAYYY too small to be sharing. Am I stuck with this for a year or so until I build up a decent friend base and find something with them? Should I suck it up and move farther away from DC and live in a more-boring town? Any help would be great! TL;DR Moving to nova Need: place to stay sub 2k as easy of a drive to north of dulles as possible Want: walking metro access walking shops/grocery Suggestions? Thanks!
Hmmm, this is a tough one. Of the two places you mentioned, Peachtree at McLean is cool IMO but its a decent walk from the metro. Another issue is that you will have to go through Tysons on a daily basis and that sucks.

Another metro option is Vienna metro area. It's of reasonable pricing and gives you a true reverse commute, God bless everyone who takes 66 to go to work (is it really worth the toll savings?) towards DC.

The closest in that i would move is East Falls Church. There are some condos near East Falls Church that may fit into the upper limits of your budget. I am not too sure about them but you should be able to find one if you do a search on craigslist or contact a realtor for a RENTAL property at condo.com.

Now, what I would do is live in a boring neighborhood east of dulles and herndon like Reston or the McLean side of Tysons Corner (commons of mclean?). It is not metro accessible, but you can grab a from east or west falls church. Your daily commute will be no more than 30 minutes and you will be paying less than the immediate vicinity of a metro

Old 06-16-2011, 12:31 PM

1,540 posts, read 3,989,597 times
Im 24 almost 25 and really do enjoy living in Centreville, even though it is "boring" to most people our age but I can tell you a lot of us 20 somethings live here. I tend to hang out with people in this area and barely find myself going to D.C. but it is within a decent proximity that I can go there if I want to, metro bus right outside my condo. I will say though if I could afford it I would probably like to live closer in.. for what I pay here for a very nice 2 level condo I would be living in a crappy studio closer in.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:12 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,555,817 times
Can you ask your HR where young employees tend to live? When I got my first job out of college, they were able to point me to popular locations. It made it great for meeting up after work.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:26 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,061,058 times
It really is about your preferences. I'm in the same boat. I don't work all the way by Dulles but in the Fair Oaks area in Fairfax. I live in Arlington and despite my hatred for my commute I wouldn't want to move out to Fairfax. I used to live in Oakton and was forever making that 30 minute trip into DC and I felt like I lived in my truck. I'm further away from work but I'm closer to my friends and life in the city.

So it depends if you're someone who goes out a LOT like me then living in north Arlington and Falls Church would be the ticket. Yes my commute would be shorter with a move to Fairfax and there are days when I'm stuck on 66 wishing I was "home by now". However, I think the good outweighs the bad in Arlington and I'd imagine the same would be true in Falls Church.

Teebyrd made a good point that you could just live quite contently in Ashburn and get way more house for your money or live in pleasant Centreville. For me personally those are nice looking but boring places to live. Almost all my friends are now in DC or at least inside the Beltway. So for me living in Centreville would be a lonely existance. At the same time there are plenty like Teebyrd who live happy lives in the burbs and hardly ever venture into the city. I think you have to ask yourself if you're a city person or suburban person. I tried the burbs I'm def a city boy. Arlington is a great compromise for me.

It sounds like you may have already found a happy medium in the McLean and Merrifield areas.

I hear what

Old 06-17-2011, 05:52 AM

738 posts, read 2,618,146 times
I'd say check out renting a room somewhere in Falls Church near the metro stops there. You'd be able to take the toll road into Ashburn in the mornings against the flow of traffic, which would be a few bucks each day, but not too bad if you exit at 28 instead of the greenway. I'd guess your commute would be about 40 minutes or so to work. But you'd be near a metro in Falls Church for heading out to DC and Arlington on the weekends. Also - renting a room in a house with some other younger professionals would be a good way to meet a group of friends to hang out with.

I'd advise against living in Ashburn at your age and being single. I bought a townhouse here in Ashburn when I was 24, but I was engaged (now married) at the time. We were still at the stage that we went bar-hopping most weekends with friends, and it's a hike getting back to Ashburn at 2am in the morning; you also have to be careful to not drink very much to keep the roads safe if you're the driver, as it's an hour drive and there are alcohol checkpoints at times. It's an even bigger chore to get friends to come out here to visit us, and while we've made some friends in the area that are our age - it's tough to find younger people to hang out with here. Fast-forward 3 years and we still head into DC on most weekends to meet up with friends, but I tend to head home a little bit earlier than last call nowadays so that I'm awake enough for the drive home.

While I do love living in Ashburn now and it meets what we wanted (buying bigger house vs smaller condo closer in), I wouldn't have enjoyed this area much while single and trying to meet and hang out with friends my age. It's nice, newer, and safe making it a great place to buy and settle down, but if you're just moving to the area and looking to meet lots of other younger friends then I'd suggest sticking somewhere closer in.

Last edited by GoHokiesGo; 06-17-2011 at 06:08 AM..

Old 06-17-2011, 07:29 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,819,073 times
DC and northern arlington are not the only the places in the Nova area where young people go out and that have walkable bars/restaurants. People (especially those that have cars and don't metro to work) are always way too fixated on these areas and "metro accessibility."

Reston Town Center and Fairfax Corner/Fair Oaks area both fit the bill of what you are looking with regards to shorter commute/walkability to stuff, but don't have metro access. Since you don't metro to work you could just drive there when you want to go out.

I say keep the commute you know you will be making many days a week short. You know where you'd like to go out, but don't where you'll end up going out.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:05 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,862,512 times
I also want to note that you can always take a cab from a metro if you dont live too far from the Vienna or Falls Church stations.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 AM

198 posts, read 310,576 times
I have a friend who lives at Post Tysons Corner apartments in Tysons/McLean right near Tysons Galleria. She likes it okay and has renewed her lease for at least four years in a row (which says something about apartments, I think). The access to the Dulles Toll Road at Spring Hill is right there, so it would be a relatively easy reverse commute. It's not walking distance to the metro, but when she worked downtown, she would take a bus to West Falls Church metro (and I don't think a cab would be too expensive). Once the silver line is complete through Tysons, there will be relatively close metro access there also. I can't speak about cost, though - I have no idea how much she pays in rent.

Also, if you have particular apartment complexes that you like but would prefer to have a roommate to share expenses, it might be worth contacting the offices to find out if they know of any tennants who are looking for roommates. When I moved here four years ago, I found somebody on Craigslist who was looking to sublet her room in a 2BR apartment. She wanted to move to Arlington to be near her job, but still had six months on her lease. I took over her room with the roommate that she already had. It worked out fine and gave me a little time to figure out where I wanted to be.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:00 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,861,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
DC and northern arlington are not the only the places in the Nova area where young people go out and that have walkable bars/restaurants. People (especially those that have cars and don't metro to work) are always way too fixated on these areas and "metro accessibility."

Reston Town Center and Fairfax Corner/Fair Oaks area both fit the bill of what you are looking with regards to shorter commute/walkability to stuff, but don't have metro access. Since you don't metro to work you could just drive there when you want to go out.

I say keep the commute you know you will be making many days a week short. You know where you'd like to go out, but don't where you'll end up going out.
Plus, if you're (generic you) spending all your money on North Arlington rent, you won't have much left over to have fun. And I'm assuming you don't want to have 20k of credit card debt when you meet a nice girl/guy and decide it's time to settle down a bit.

You've got to also figure out, how often will you actually be going out to things that can't be duplicated in Reston/Fair-fill-in-the-blank/Ashburn? (e.g. if you go out to the movies 2x a week, and to a generic bar maybe 1x a month, you can do that just as easily in Ashburn as in Clarendon.)

Also, you're commuting 5x a week. Who knows how often you'll be out and about a week?

Also, if you're making typical recent grad salaries of 40-50k a year, you can't pattern your life after the computer superstar, MBA, or top 20 law school grad that's making 75k and up a year.

I'd also look at Columbia Pike Arlington, the bus line there is EXCELLENT (might want to check how late the buses run during primo partying hours, though.)

(Also if you have any friends who do live in Orange Line Arlington -- because it makes sense for them -- you can crash there on party nights and re-pay in ethanol/food form. Makes the party longer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or