Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 AM

30 posts, read 42,503 times

Advertisements

Alrighty, OP back.

My head was spinning so much, I just had to take a couple of days off from researching stuff.

Thank you again for everybody who has taken the time and replied here. I REALLY appreciate it.

We are going to be getting the go-ahead soon to book our house hunting trip.

I'm trying to narrow down the different areas. This is where I have on my "short list":

Alexandria
Bristow
Gainesville
Herndon
Manassas
Vienna
Woodbridge

BESIDES COMMUTE TIME , any thoughts in general on these areas?

Good and bad!

As you know, we're looking for FAMILY FRIENDLY neighborhoods. I guess what I'm asking is what the general feel of these neighborhoods are, if this makes sense. Not necessarily housing prices or specific commute times.

I'm definitely a "mini-van mamma" and I need to be close to my grocery store, libraries, parks, etc.

I sure as heck can't figure out Woodbridge. Homes look LOVELY, yet I'm reading a lot of "luke warm" responses to living here. I can't figure out why.

Does anybody have photo tours of these area?

Thanks again for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 09:36 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,190 times
Hi, I think I suggested this earlier, but just in case -- see the sticky thread with General Pointers for Movers, which also has links to many photo tours:

General Pointers If You are Moving To Northern Virginia (Amended with link to Photo Tours index)

Alexandria is a large area of Fairfax County, and Alexandria City is independent. So comments about it depend on which Alexandria, and which part of that Alexandria, you're interested in.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:43 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiTaiMary View Post
I'm trying to narrow down the different areas. This is where I have on my "short list":

Herndon
Vienna

Does anybody have photo tours of these area?
If you are looking at Herndon and Vienna - I don't understand why you are not looking at Reston. It is very family friendly, with great amenities, yada, yada, yada . . . all the things that you are looking for.

Check out this option:
1982 SOLARIDGE CT, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase

Here is a photo tour from the area of Reston where the above is located.
Photo Tour: Reston - South Lakes

General Reston Information
Welcome to Reston Association

Reston Interactive Map
Reston Association - Interactive Map Guide

Funny Reston(ian) blog with lots of good information.
Restonian: News blog from Reston, Virginia, the mauve-colored New Town (tm)

More Reston information
Reston, VA Patch - News, Sports, Events, Businesses & Deals

Old 06-23-2011, 09:49 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,342 times
Reston doesn't have a lot of single family rentals in her price range, though. We have been looking, too.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:53 AM

30 posts, read 42,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Here is a photo tour from the area of Reston where the above is located.
Photo Tour: Reston - South Lakes
Oh it looks gorgeous! We sure don't have trees like that here in San Diego!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:37 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,317 times
Besides the commute issue, Bristow is very family friendly, lots of conveniences and the housing stock is for the most part, all under 15 yrs old with much under 10 yrs. Many of the neighborhoods have started to build out the rest of the neighborhood so where some houses might be 10 yrs old, new houses are under construction. My neighborhood is pretty established and we bought a house 2 yrs ago that was built in 2006. This area has seen a huge population explosion and they are building schools left and right. I would recommend being as close to the VRE as possible.

This is from one of my past posts:

To explore the Bristow/Gainesville area, I would exit 66 at Centreville and drive down Lee Highway to gander at the Manassas Battlefields. As you enter Gainesville (over the train tracks) take a left onto Linton Hall Rd (619). Atlas walk is the shopping center you will see immediately and if you live in the area, you will spend a lot of time in this shopping area. It's quite large and has many sides to it (not just a big square). Dining options are sort of standard and mostly chains. Good places to eat w/ children without a lot of waiting. The American Tap Room fizzled (the food went down hill quickly after opening) and new restaurant is in its place - something Alehouse, but haven't tried it yet. The big dirt area is supposed to be the site of a movie theater and restaurants and has been delayed due to the recession but the project was recently given a green light.

Linton Hall is about 6 miles long (i think) and runs between Lee Highway and Route 28. I think of Bristow/Gainesville very similar to South Riding or Ashburn in the sense it's a large community, but Bristow is broken into many neighborhoods instead of 1 giant community. As you drive down Linton Hall Rd you will see the myriad of neighborhoods and depending on school preferences, house age, layout, trees, no trees, pool,etc will determine what neighborhood will appeal. I would drive into as many as you can to get a feel of what neighborhood appeals the most.

The first street after the Atlas Walk is Glenkirk. This area and a bit further down is considered Gainesville (20155 zip) The ES school is Glenkirk and one of the largest in size in the area. Morris Farms (Rollins Ford rd)has a big entrance and there are a number of communities and builders.
A new ES (Piney Branch) is under construction now which will probably feed from Morris Farms.

Bristow Run ES is located in Kingsbrooke neighborhood which is one of favorite neighborhoods. (Worthington dr) BRES is the top rated and oldest school (11 yrs old) in the area.

Devlin Rd intersects with Linton Hall and has a couple of neighborhoods and is the route most people take to get on 66. This is 1 exit closer (which does make a difference in commute times) than if you get on in Gainesville. Devlin intersects w/ Wellington where Nissan (renamed Jiffy Lube) concerts are held which is a large outdoor venue. The surrounding 500 acres has been a debate/$ to bring the VRE to Gainesville - should be interesting to see if it ever happens. Very large garden center is also located on Wellington. Wellington also feeds into Atlas Walk shopping center.

The next intersection is Sudley Manor and is the street that saved many, many hours of commute time in the area and feeds to PW Parkway and goes all the way to Bus 234. To the left is Victory Lakes that has an elementary school of the same name and some rather unusual homes. Miller & Smith are the builders and I believe some the better built homes in the area. A lot of homes have massive square footage which is not always on the plus side. To the right is another shopping center with Safeway, a Tae Kwon Do and dance studio, coffee, dry cleaning, etc. This is the entrance to the newer section of Braemar (community of about 1,900 homes). The new HS and ES slotted to open in 2011 is located just off Vint Hill (Sudley Manor Rd dead ends here) on Kettle Run.

Continue on Linton Hall for more homes and the older section of Braemar and Cedar Point ES. Just past that is another shopping center (which has a back entrance from Vint Hill) and now you are at Rt 28. To the left is more shopping and the VRE and you can continue into the City of Manassas. Go right and you will see just how rural this part of the county still can be.

I will say there are very nice homes/neighborhoods in Haymarket and the "other side of Lee Highway" in Gainesville, but will stress again how much some of these neighborhoods will add to a commute. Lake Manassas is also considered Gainesville and is regarded as a "higher end" community (top rated golf course) but since you can only exit this community onto Lee Highway......anything located south of the train tracks is going to add at least 20 minutes.

I moved to Bristow in 2003 out of necessity and initially hated it, but with a job location change, road improvements and more shopping options, I love it. My house is 5 years old and would cost $200k more in Loudoun or FFX and we enjoy our neighbors and the lifestyle of a quieter area and the beauty of western PW Cty. Of course my worse commuting time is 45 minutes. I have lived in Fairfax, Fair Lakes, Alexandria & Arlington and most of my friends live in Loudoun and Fairfax. At first it was pain, but we discovered tons of things to do west of us and yes, sometimes we do have to drive 30-40 minutes to do things closer in but I wouldn't trade living in FFX County again.

What don't I like? The big massive power lines that are near some of the neighborhoods. Manassas mall - one word - ick. I work next to Fair Oaks mall so I'm less bothered by this. I like the City of Manassas, but Sudley rd (Business 234) is just one depressing looking strip mall after another.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:46 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,845 times
If you are considering Bristow and Gainesville, you may as well add Ashburn and Leesburg to your list.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:38 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
Why not Burke? Very good schools, family friendly, parks etc...West Springfield?
Arlington? Fairfax?

Vienna is great.
Alexandria is mostly very good, some bad areas along Rt1 and few schools are not so great.
Reston is very nice. may have a few schools that you want to avoid but nothing horrible.
I don't care for Manasas it's got some nice areas but it has some run down areas as well. Choose schools carefully
Herdon, again not a fan, town center is nice but some areas are just not that desirable. Choose schools carefully.
Woodbridge...it's a mixed bag esp school wise. LakeRidge is very pretty and schools have a good rep, that would be where I would look if I was looking at Woodbridge. I95...ugh!

Bristow/Gainville still feel honestly too far for DC..as someone else said ifyou are going to go ahead and look that far out, then include Ashburn and Leesburg.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:57 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,892,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiTaiMary View Post
Oh it looks gorgeous! We sure don't have trees like that here in San Diego!
Nope just Jacarandas, Bottle Brushes, King/Queen Palms, Beautiful Chapparal and the ability to grow decent Avacados and Mangos.

There may be nice trees here but they are choking in that awful Kudzu! Its like a thick green curtain-yucK!

Old 06-24-2011, 05:37 AM

186 posts, read 488,291 times
I suggest Vienna I a a little biased but
  • family friendly
  • small town feel
  • close to shopping (Tyson Corner) Target in Reston, Walmart coming,
  • great schools
  • great youth sports
  • close to metro some areas are walking distance
  • great parks Nottaway, etc
  • Wolf Trap for the Performing Arts
  • Community Center with tons of stuff for all ages
  • better commute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia