Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 5,538 times

Advertisements

I can imagine people post things about moving to VA all the time, but would appreciate any help. I will be moving to Arlington the last week of the year and have no idea where to start (yes, I will be visiting before then but want this to go as smooth as possible).

So about my situation; I will be graduating from college and have accepted a sales job working in DC. Since it is just me (no children) I will only need a studio apartment and will upgrade at a later date. As for how much I am willing to spend on rent will depend on the apartment but would like to stay under $1500/month starting out, coming from a small college town in KY the cost of living is a little of a shock to me but is something I will have to accept and live with. I am willing to tolerate a 25 minute commute because I would like to live in the city among other young professionals there.
Ideally I would like to live somewhere with a city feel; close stores, nightlife, and somewhere I can run (parks/sidewalks).

Thanks again for any advice! You have no idea how much it will help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 PM

26,684 posts, read 41,560,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.silver919 View Post
I can imagine people post things about moving to VA all the time, but would appreciate any help. I will be moving to Arlington the last week of the year and have no idea where to start (yes, I will be visiting before then but want this to go as smooth as possible).

So about my situation; I will be graduating from college and have accepted a sales job working in DC. Since it is just me (no children) I will only need a studio apartment and will upgrade at a later date. As for how much I am willing to spend on rent will depend on the apartment but would like to stay under $1500/month starting out, coming from a small college town in KY the cost of living is a little of a shock to me but is something I will have to accept and live with. I am willing to tolerate a 25 minute commute because I would like to live in the city among other young professionals there.
Ideally I would like to live somewhere with a city feel; close stores, nightlife, and somewhere I can run (parks/sidewalks).

Just wondering, which college town in KY? I'm in Vine Grove now and moving to Louisville in the next month. I lived in Northern VA the past six years before going to KY.

I worked in the Ballston area in Arlington for about a year and liked it a lot. Of course you will be on your high point of your budget.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:55 PM

4 posts, read 5,538 times
Western KY in Bowling Green, south central KY

Old 06-28-2011, 07:11 PM

26,684 posts, read 41,560,654 times
Quote:
Western KY in Bowling Green, south central KY
Bowling Green isn't what I'd consider small but regardless you will be in for a shock to the system when you move to Northern VA. It's not KY by ANY feasible stretch of the imagination. Diversity on steroids, a LOT of traffic, and people bleed snooby and money (I would find it laughable the East End of Louisville could be considered snobby when put up against NoVA.) It's a totally different ballgame.

BTW if you have any spare time, visit the KY subforum and see the "thinking about leaving KY- fill this form out" thread. We are having a good time on that thread.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:15 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,144,069 times
If you're working in DC, why don't you live there? You should be able to find a studio apt. in a nice neighborhood within your budget (Capitol Hill for instance). Much of DC has been transformed into a giant post-college town so you'll be living around tons of 20 something college grads in your age group. I wouldn't waste the money or the commute time living in Arlington if I were working in DC as you will be.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:23 PM

330 posts, read 874,896 times
Quote:

Funny video that gives you a glimpse of Arlington:
YouTube - ‪Arlington: The Rap‬‏

Old 06-28-2011, 09:55 PM

50 posts, read 131,053 times
You have a good budget, but Arlington on the Orange line is expensive! Perhaps Randolph Towers near Ballston? The building is older, so maybe a better value. Can't speak to it now, but a friend lived there some years ago and liked it. Another thought is to check out older garden apartments. My old landlord has a bunch of properties in Arlington (ARLINGTON) that would come in well under your budget. I can't speak to the buildings specifically but liked the place I lived in (in Alexandria).

You might also look in South Arlington near the Crystal City Metro station. I think this will still be near the top of your budget. Not as lively as the Orange line corridor, but things are really picking up and there are some great restaurants on S. 23rd Street.

Alexandria may be a little bit more affordable, although also a bit further away. Plenty of young people live here and love it. But it's different from Arlington, particularly Arlington on the Orange line. You might check out a place or two when you're looking to see what you think. (I'm a fan, personally)

Old 06-28-2011, 11:56 PM

491 posts, read 1,166,045 times
Ditto to what Cava wrote. Not the least reason being more housing options. They might not be the typical apartment buildings/hi-rises that you find in Arlington, but D.C. has more places for the typical intern (who doesn't get paid very much), so being that you'll have a "real" job, you're more likely to find something reasonable.

Why Arlington, tho?

Old 06-29-2011, 07:25 AM

494 posts, read 1,186,402 times
If you want to stay in Arlington, you may want to shack up with 1-2 or 3 housemates. That will really give you a reasonable rent. Make sure they're all professional. With people working/travelling all the time here, you'll find that sometimes you'll have the home all to yourself.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:04 AM

298 posts, read 678,831 times
Quote:

So about my situation; I will be graduating from college and have accepted a sales job working in DC.
I would strongly consider living in DC instead. In order of preference, look at apartments in Dupont, Cleveland Park, Woodley Park, and on Capitol Hill.

If you really want to be in Arlington, again in order of my personal preference, look at Courthouse, Clarendon, and Ballston.

Your budget should be fine for a small studio apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia