U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:19 AM

664 posts, read 1,619,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Good point, if hubby works downtown, then the extra $100 to live in Reston will absosmurfly be worth it. Plus there will be Metro access in a few years (tho that might raise the rents).
I believe she said in a previous thread that her husband will be working in Woodbridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 07:15 AM

27 posts, read 32,650 times
OP here, responding quickly from iPhone:

1) hubs only works 2-3 days a week so commuting not a huge issue. Just trying to keep miles between home/work under 40.

2) I believe we are going down to Fredericksburg today.

3) I love Reston but still looking. I'll probably inquire about specific neighborhoods shortly. One I can think of off top of head that I've seen a few rentals in is Parc Reston. Honest opinions welcome. It looks to me an older neighborhood but lots of internal renovations going on?

Mike- I may have some Lake Ridge questions later on for you if you don't mind.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:46 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,802,026 times
I missed your other post. I commute to Lorton a couple days a week and it isn't so bad. However, you probably would have better luck in Lake Ridge AND it would cut down on your husband's gas bill. I don't know rents in Occoquan, but you might find your funky shops and such there.

As for Parc Reston, the location is pretty good. You can easily walk to the Town Center from there, which is fun for kids in the summer. Don't rule out private rentals - the rents tend to be cheaper AND you'll likely be friendlier with neighbors.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:19 AM

2,005 posts, read 3,528,323 times
Here are a few options in Reston to consider:

This option is very close to a swimming pool
11317 HEADLANDS CT, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase

This option is very walkable - South Lakes Shopping Center is across the street and a swimming pool just a few blocks away. Serviced by two bus routes (Fairfax Connector 551 and 553).
1897A VILLARIDGE DR #1897A, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase

Nice trails near this one.
2112 GREEN WATCH WAY #10/300, RESTON, VA 20191 - HomesDatabase

Here is a photo tour from the area of Reston with the above options.
Photo Tour: Reston - South Lakes

General Reston Information
Welcome to Reston Association

Reston Interactive Map
Reston Association - Interactive Map Guide

Funny Reston(ian) blog with lots of good information.
Restonian: News blog from Reston, Virginia, the mauve-colored New Town (tm)

More Reston information
Reston, VA Patch - News, Sports, Events, Businesses & Deals

Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 AM

487 posts, read 1,209,184 times
If he works in Woodbridge
Go north on 234 to Manassas.
there is a cool small town vibe in oldtown Manassas.
And south of town are some very nice neighborhoods.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:48 AM

146 posts, read 301,683 times
Personally, I hate Manassas. I am a SAHM (40 something though) living just outside of Fredericksburg. I live in a newer development but have a secret wish to live in downtown Fred. I find it wonderful. Try Sammy T's on Caroline St. for a vegan lunch. There are tons of antique shops, an old drug store with an operating lunch counter (very quaint) and several art galleries and other shops. Parking is often easy and its a wonderful place to take a walk and people watch without the crushing atmosphere like in Old Town Alexandria.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:49 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,861,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
I believe she said in a previous thread that her husband will be working in Woodbridge.
In that case, OP, go to downtown Fredericksburg and do not pass go. You really don't need to live further in, especially if your hubby can work say 7am to 3pm or something like that.

Woodbridge is a mix of nice suburbs like Lake Ridge and Montclair and places I would prefer not to live in (the areas that zone to Potomac, Gar-Field, and Freedom High Schools.)

Old 06-23-2011, 01:35 PM

27 posts, read 32,650 times
@ jacmadhel We're going down tomorrow and are going to eat at Sammy T's! Funny you mention :-)

PWC seems so difficult to pin down what is "good" and what isn't. We just looked at a place the other day in a "good" area (near the Safeway off Old Bridge/PW Pkwy) and the neighborhood was somewhat questionable to us. It's been daunting to say the least. Still searching though, will update tomorrow after we visit Fredericksburg.

Thanks for the links, JFromReston. We still have a closer to the end of July to move so I'm afraid a couple of those places may be gone but if you are referring them for areas, then that gives us a good idea on neighborhoods so we appreciate it!

Old 06-23-2011, 02:50 PM

12 posts, read 52,137 times
Why not look at Gainesville, VA which is in PWC. If your hubby works in Woodbridge...it is just a short drive down PWC Parkway and I believe you will be traveling opposite traffic (which are all heading North or Eastward).

Old 06-24-2011, 06:59 AM

487 posts, read 1,209,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmadhel View Post
Personally, I hate Manassas. I am a SAHM (40 something though) living just outside of Fredericksburg. I live in a newer development but have a secret wish to live in downtown Fred. I find it wonderful. Try Sammy T's on Caroline St. for a vegan lunch. There are tons of antique shops, an old drug store with an operating lunch counter (very quaint) and several art galleries and other shops. Parking is often easy and its a wonderful place to take a walk and people watch without the crushing atmosphere like in Old Town Alexandria.
Manassas is like everywhere with its good areas and its bad areas.
The area south of town (mind you not directly south of old town Manassas but further south) is very nice with a good mix of great homes in quiet neighborhoods and is reasonably priced.

I would never make a blanket statement like "I hate Fredericksburg" because Im sure there are some OK areas there. However it is not really part of NOVA. Sure some people commute to DC from all the way out in Fredericksburg. But its a long grueling drive and would get old real quick.

In this case with the current job location being in Woodbridge the commute from Fredericksburg would not be so bad.

But jobs change and locations change and a home in Fredericksburg could severely limit what job locations are even feasible.

Now Manassas has the advantage of being part of NOVA. Its relatively close to many of the job centers in NOVA. Is served by the VRE. And has good values for Homes. The Manassas mailing address is a big area. Much larger than just the old town area.
I think it could be a good option for somebody working in Woodbridge.

Just take some time and pick one of the Nice areas around Manassas.

Also consider Nokesville and Gainsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia