Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 08:59 AM

30 posts, read 42,503 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the DC area and I’m not sure where to start looking for a home. Is there any kind of central thread here that gives on overview of possible areas? Seems like there are a lot of us in the same boat!

I’d appreciate any help that you guys can provide. A little about us/what we’re looking for:

~Hubby will be working in DC. I looked on the map and his building is between West Potomac Park and East Potomac Park, right off of the 395.

~Obviously commute is an issue. We’d like as short as possible (duh! LOL) but we’re willing to go as far as an hour away. I don’t think DH can comfortably handle a 1 1/2 hour commute each way. (but of course we'll do whatever we have to do.)

~We have three young (elementary school age) children so schools are very important to us. By a “good school” at this point I can just go by the test scores and parent reviews. Not sure what else I can go by online.

~We would like to RENT a single family (4 or more bedrooms) home. Price range is $2400 – $2900 a month.

~We’re coming from a very “cookie cutter” type neighborhood. Newer homes, lots of parks, very family friendly, strip malls. (Gotta be close to my Target! hehe). I wouldn’t be opposed to something different, but I am still leaning towards “newer” (meaning built within the last 10 years or so) homes. Again, we haven’t ruled out an older neighborhood/house, but I want to live in a neighborhood with young families.

If anybody could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 09:30 AM

142 posts, read 273,033 times
Further out = more house for the money. I really like Burke, but we chose zip 20136 because it's less than 10 yrs old. 2 Super Targets, many pools, brand new schools, etc. Long commute for rush hour into the city. We have neighbors that work at the Pentagon. He leaves at 5:30 am to get to work by 7 am. But we are in 4000+ sq ft homes for less than $2500/month.

I get continuous frowns from coworkers when I tell them where I drive from, that is until they visit and see it. Plus, I like going West to the mountains and I've already got a 45 min head start on the people closer into the city.

www.hotpads.com and... are good places to start.

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-19-2011 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: sorry: realtor-driven site = real estate advertising

Old 06-18-2011, 10:26 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,317 times
Is his office metro or VRE accessible?

Old 06-18-2011, 11:02 AM

313 posts, read 551,730 times
OP,

With that budget it's going to be tough for a "newer" type of house and a decent commute, I did find something on craigslist that is near it. Metro would be an option from the 2nd one.

Newly renovated all brick single family Colonial (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/apa/2447487479.html - broken link)
Beautiful, Updated 4 Bedroom, 2 Bath Plus a Den Single Family House (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/apa/2446901149.html - broken link)

Old 06-18-2011, 11:31 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger21 View Post
OP,

Beautiful, Updated 4 Bedroom, 2 Bath Plus a Den Single Family House (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/apa/2446901149.html - broken link)
The bedrooms must be REALLY small to get 4 bedrooms in 1200 Sq Feet.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:17 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
The bedrooms must be REALLY small to get 4 bedrooms in 1200 Sq Feet.
Yes, and, per the assessor (not sure if this link will work), only 3 BRs are on the main floor, and there are 2 in the basement. Since the listing claims only 4 total bedrooms, I don't know where the error is.

http://icare.fairfaxcounty.gov/Forms...1&LMparent=138

OP, given the hubby's work location, have you considered living in MD? You might find an area with good schools and a shorter commute, though unfortunately most of the area near the work location is not known for good schools. I'm not familiar enough with MD, but if you haven't already posted the question on a MD forum, you might want to do that.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:21 PM

OP, did you see the very first sticky thread?

General Pointers If You are Moving To Northern Virginia (Amended with link to Photo Tours index)

Old 06-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiTaiMary View Post
We are relocating to the DC area and I’m not sure where to start looking for a home. Is there any kind of central thread here that gives on overview of possible areas? Seems like there are a lot of us in the same boat!

I’d appreciate any help that you guys can provide. A little about us/what we’re looking for:

~Hubby will be working in DC. I looked on the map and his building is between West Potomac Park and East Potomac Park, right off of the 395.

~Obviously commute is an issue. We’d like as short as possible (duh! LOL) but we’re willing to go as far as an hour away. I don’t think DH can comfortably handle a 1 1/2 hour commute each way. (but of course we'll do whatever we have to do.)

~We have three young (elementary school age) children so schools are very important to us. By a “good school” at this point I can just go by the test scores and parent reviews. Not sure what else I can go by online.

~We would like to RENT a single family (4 or more bedrooms) home. Price range is $2400 – $2900 a month.

~We’re coming from a very “cookie cutter” type neighborhood. Newer homes, lots of parks, very family friendly, strip malls. (Gotta be close to my Target! hehe). I wouldn’t be opposed to something different, but I am still leaning towards “newer” (meaning built within the last 10 years or so) homes. Again, we haven’t ruled out an older neighborhood/house, but I want to live in a neighborhood with young families.

If anybody could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger21 View Post
OP,

With that budget it's going to be tough for a "newer" type of house and a decent commute, I did find something on craigslist that is near it. Metro would be an option from the 2nd one.

Newly renovated all brick single family Colonial (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/apa/2447487479.html - broken link)
The first one is in South Arlington. School demographics are more diverse in S. Arl. than in N. Arl., and so test scores are not as high.

I agree that the OP will have to trade off some of the wants or increase the budget. Housing is extremely expensive within a short commute to the middle part of DC, especially if one is seeking 4 bedrooms and good schools.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:50 PM

Here's one in Dunn Loring (a nice area, not too bad of a commute if you can avoid the rush hour), that is a little older:

2296 SHAWN CT, DUNN LORING, VA 22027 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-LEIGH+WOODS-DUNN+LORING-VA-MRIS-FX7627810 - broken link)

and 11 more in the price range, in Vienna:

http://www.homesdatabase.com/mapsear...623&mapLevel=0

Old 06-18-2011, 02:27 PM

30 posts, read 42,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
I agree that the OP will have to trade off some of the wants or increase the budget.
The commute will be the first thing that we'll sacrifice. We have to have 4 (or more) bedroom and good schools are very important.

Can somebody tell me about Bristow? Or Woodbridge? What about Manassas? Herndon?

We're going to have a house-hunting trip soon and I just don't even know what areas to look at.

I appreciate the listings, but right now I'm just trying to get an idea of the area (and state! MD is an option, too) we want to look into more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia