Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 08:44 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,241 times

Advertisements

We used Brennan's when we had our heat pump replaced. We got estimates for Furr, them, plus Michael's and an indepenent, and liked Brennan's best. Took the time to go over systems with us and compared with what we had, plus price matched (got one estimate slightly lower than theirs, which they matched. I promptly ordered a better system and came in about even). They dealt with most makers, but we were only looking at Trane, Lennox and Carrier - they steered us away from Trane and Lennox (Lennox because of price and we didnt need it, Trane because of problems with their new heat pumps. Gas systems were still great, but I can't get gas!). I'm very happy with the Carrier we had installed, and they were ludicrously fast with installation, we were able to get it installed the day after signing the contract. They've been good about the minor repairs we've had done with other equipment that was carried over from the old system (humidifier, electronic air filter and the UV lamp).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 11:43 AM
azb

35 posts, read 65,572 times
We had a Carrier system installed by Mann-In, and were very happy with the install and price. They also rated well on Consumer Checkbook (which is worth subscribing too, by the way).

Old 06-27-2011, 01:49 PM

18 posts, read 52,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I would consider joining either angieslist or consumercheckbook.org considering the expense of a system like this. You can get many recommendations from them.
Consumer Checkbook is great, but I had a miserable experience with Angie's List. I joined early last fall when I needed to repair our gas grill. I had a few companies in mind and wanted to check their ratings. Turns out you can't search for a specific company -- you can only input the service you need and your location, and then you'll get a list of "recommended" providers. None of the companies I wanted to search was on that list -- in fact, none even repaired gas grills. I signed up for the free trial and cancelled it in time, only to be automatically charged on my credit card. Getting that fixed was a nightmare, and took one long phone call when my attempt to cancel online failed. Apparently, Angie's List hates it when members cancel, and makes it as difficult as possible in hopes most will give up. In short, Angie's List wouldn't rate highly on her own list!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:30 AM

27 posts, read 125,418 times
Thanks to you all for your comments and suggestions.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:28 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMcMScot View Post
Consumer Checkbook is great, but I had a miserable experience with Angie's List. I joined early last fall when I needed to repair our gas grill. I had a few companies in mind and wanted to check their ratings. Turns out you can't search for a specific company -- you can only input the service you need and your location, and then you'll get a list of "recommended" providers. None of the companies I wanted to search was on that list -- in fact, none even repaired gas grills. I signed up for the free trial and cancelled it in time, only to be automatically charged on my credit card. Getting that fixed was a nightmare, and took one long phone call when my attempt to cancel online failed. Apparently, Angie's List hates it when members cancel, and makes it as difficult as possible in hopes most will give up. In short, Angie's List wouldn't rate highly on her own list!
I agree with this, I signed up for Angie's List before getting a major job done earlier this year so ensure that the company was okay and I wouldn't be wasting my money. Angie's List itself turned out to be a waste of money!

Old 07-11-2011, 08:38 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,122 times
Good to know about Angie's list because I was thinking of signing up but it doesn't sound like that's what I'm looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia