U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 02:34 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,190,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Yeah, there are definitely still faint vestiges of country-ness in Annandale, even on inside-the-Beltway Little River Turnpike.
Go up Carrico drive - the big 1920s/1930s house at the end used to be owned by Judge Carrico, after whom the street was named. There are some 1945-1955 houses - small, country style, in between the 1960s ranches and millenial McMansions. Theres stuff like that all over Annandale. I was thinking mostly of the village center though.

Basically you had a tiny 1840s era village, that grew slowly, than got hit with the first wave of post WW2 suburban growth, and the streets just got added as the county tried to keep up (AFAICT) and stuff just kept getting stuck here there until the 1980s or so, when the place began to transition, and the county had other priorities. I think the place has potenial but not particularly as a suburban place (Of course outside the beltway, and the lower density areas farther from LRT inside, will stay suburban density)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 03:48 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,246,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Go up Carrico drive - the big 1920s/1930s house at the end used to be owned by Judge Carrico, after whom the street was named. There are some 1945-1955 houses - small, country style, in between the 1960s ranches and millenial McMansions. Theres stuff like that all over Annandale. I was thinking mostly of the village center though.

Basically you had a tiny 1840s era village, that grew slowly, than got hit with the first wave of post WW2 suburban growth, and the streets just got added as the county tried to keep up (AFAICT) and stuff just kept getting stuck here there until the 1980s or so, when the place began to transition, and the county had other priorities. I think the place has potenial but not particularly as a suburban place (Of course outside the beltway, and the lower density areas farther from LRT inside, will stay suburban density)
Just checked out Carrico Dr. on Google Streetview - now THAT is a country road! Little River Hills in Fairfax City has the same aging asphalt.. When I walk through that neighborhood (on the way to Daniels Run Park), I can almost sense ghosts of mid-century Plymouth pickup trucks with Hank Williams, Sr. playing on the radio (including a nice little low-frequency AM 'buzz'). The handful of tear-downs/McMansions kind of ruins it, of course.

But back to Annandale, the little stretch of Columbia Turnpike just north of the CT/LRT intersection (part of the Village Center area, I believe) feels distinctly old to me.. probably has a lot to do with the ninteenth-century-looking commercial building that you can see from the intersection (and currently houses 'New York Pizza Factory' and 'American Rental').

Old 06-30-2011, 04:38 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,604,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
...But back to Annandale, the little stretch of Columbia Turnpike just north of the CT/LRT intersection (part of the Village Center area, I believe) feels distinctly old to me.. probably has a lot to do with the ninteenth-century-looking commercial building that you can see from the intersection (and currently houses 'New York Pizza Factory' and 'American Rental').
Another building that goes way back is around the corner on LRT. A little one-story strip of maybe four stores. Sal's Shoe Repair has been there forever and is the only business still there from my childhood. Sam's Tailoring was on the east end....and next to Sam's was Don's Barber Shop where all the Annandale kids got their hair cut. I can still see Don's face and mannerisms...he should have called the place Floyd's Barber Shop, but this was years before Andy Griffith hit the airwaves....LOL

Old 06-30-2011, 05:00 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,604,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post

I went to school with members of the Carrico clan! I believe Justice Carrico is still alive...in his mid nineties!

Then there was W T Carrico, founding President of the Annandale VFD. AVFD used to put on great carnivals and other social events at the firehouse when I was a kid. Incidentally, the seal of the Annandale VFD depicts a mansion and the words Ossian Hall 1730...this seal is on the doors of all the apparatus and uniform patches.

Which is kind of ironic considering that Annandale VFD burned that grand house down in 1959 as a training exercise! I vividly remember going to watch her go up in flames (along with most of the rest of Annandale). Us kids were ticked! Ossian Hall was our very own "haunted house" and we played there often. What a shame that mansion couldn't have been preserved. They burned it to make way for housing...nowadays they probably would have renovated it and used it as a community center...like they did with that old house on Columbia Pike near Lake Barcroft.

Ossian Hall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

edited to add: If you've ever wondered why there is a vacant lot at the corner of Killebrew Dr & Royston St...amidst a sea of SFHs....it's vacant because it's hallowed ground. It was one of Ravensworth Plantation's cemetaries. No grave markers survive, so it is probably the "help" that is buried there.

Last edited by car54; 06-30-2011 at 05:10 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 08:55 PM

250 posts, read 360,407 times
Thanks for all the info you guys. We will hope for finding something in Arlington/Alexandria but are comfortable with venturing just a bit farther out commute-wise to the other areas if need be.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:47 PM

318 posts, read 305,480 times
Default Tough Call

This area is so diverse that it depends on your needs.
Inside the Beltway facts:

Falls Church City has best schools, but expensive
Arlington has great character (Clarendon shops and dining) decent schools
Alexandria (not so great schools), but old town has great shopping and dining
Annandale has no identity what so ever, no sense of community.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:23 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,246,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Another building that goes way back is around the corner on LRT. A little one-story strip of maybe four stores. Sal's Shoe Repair has been there forever and is the only business still there from my childhood. Sam's Tailoring was on the east end....and next to Sam's was Don's Barber Shop where all the Annandale kids got their hair cut. I can still see Don's face and mannerisms...he should have called the place Floyd's Barber Shop, but this was years before Andy Griffith hit the airwaves....LOL
Just checked Google Maps Street View... yeah, I've seen that building. At the time of the Street View photograph, Sam's looked to be back in business (and, of course, Sal's was open, as you said it would be, two doors down). Looks like one of the other four spots is now occupied by a 'Checks Cashed' place. Sign o' the times, I guess (and couple steps up from a bail bonds outfit, at least).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia