Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:50 AM

37 posts, read 52,363 times

Advertisements

I will soon be taking a job in Crystal City. Since I am single, I can live anywhere - no need to worry about schools, etc.

I want to rent before buying, I want to make sure I plan to stay in the area awhile before making a purchase.

I have checked out nearby Pentagon City apt. complexes. They seem cold and sterile to me, no sidewalks, etc.

Although I have a car, I will need to leave it at home and take Metro to work, based on the situation with my employer.

Please suggest neighborhoods convenient to Crystal City by Metro, with a reasonably easy commute - with a combination of commuting by foot, MetroRail or Metrobus.

Pricing is a concern, but I prefer safe complexes in a nice location.

Thanks, bfo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 09:30 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootedone View Post
I have checked out nearby Pentagon City apt. complexes. They seem cold and sterile to me, no sidewalks, etc.
I could see getting the "cold and sterile" impression from the mostly-new Pentagon City development, but there are sidewalks everywhere! Every street in that part of Arlington has a sidewalk on both sides, with the exception of a stretch of S Eads between Army Navy and 12th. The area is extremely walkable. There is a large park nearby, a library, and of course dining and shopping. Nearby 23rd St is older and not pre-fab, chain-store looking as the recent Pentagon City, and although it's just a short stretch of businesses, it's a good hangout spot that feels more "lived in."

Neighborhoods within easy reach of Crystal City include the Ballston-to-Rosslyn corridor in North Arlington - extremely popular among singles, and you'll pay a premium, though - plus Old Town Alexandria, eastern edge of Columbia Pike area in South Arlington, Shirlington, and Crystal City itself. You could also check out the lower-priced areas of the West End of Alexandria (around Landmark) or Huntington, though they may seem sterile to you as there isn't a lot of urbanity in the way of foot traffic and walkable mix of retail/residential, they are more car-centric.

And then there's always DC, if the full-blown non-sterile urban life is what you're after.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:42 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Yeah, I'm confused what is sterile or cold about Pentagon city? It's one of the nicest, most accessible areas in NoVA. Easy access to everything, safe, walkable to groceries, transit, shopping, restaurants, parks, theater, everything.

What are you looking for, exactly, that Pentagon or Crystal City doesn't have?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
Yeah I live in P.City and while it lacks character, it is a very walkable and urban place. There's bike share, metro, every store you can imagine within walking distance, restaurants, the park, library, etc. It's also relatively affordable compared to the better parts of DC and North Arlington. Still, it depends on your budget and wants to really tell you which place you'd like the best. DC is far more charming but pricey, difficult to own a car in, and will be a harder commute if you don't live near the blue/yellow line.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 AM

223 posts, read 1,172,797 times
To the OP: what's your housing budget??? Without that knowledge, any suggestions you get here will be stabs in the dark.

BTW -- I understand the OP's impression about Pentagon City (minus the sidewalk comment). I've always found the neighborhood to be vibrant but aesthetically bland.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:10 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee.peddler View Post
To the OP: what's your housing budget??? Without that knowledge, any suggestions you get here will be stabs in the dark.

BTW -- I understand the OP's impression about Pentagon City (minus the sidewalk comment). I've always found the neighborhood to be vibrant but aesthetically bland.
Well sure...but isn't 99% of NoVA "aesthetically bland"?

Old 06-28-2011, 01:15 PM

295 posts, read 658,979 times
I know it's all relative but walking in Crystal City/Pentagon City is nothing like walking in a real city, like NYC or San Francisco. I feel like I have to be on guard in PC/CC when crossing the six lane boulevards so it's not very pleasant. It is primarily an auto-oriented place, no matter how hard it claims to be otherwise. It can best be described as urban suburbia. However, unlike real suburbia, you can survive without a car.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:45 PM

223 posts, read 1,172,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Well sure...but isn't 99% of NoVA "aesthetically bland"?
Ha! Point taken, although I think 99% might be a bit steep. Old Town, Vienna, and several older neighborhoods in Fairfax (e.g., Annandale, Springfield, etc.) have some measure of aesthetic charm.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:18 PM

Ok, I take back my "cold and sterile" comment - it seems to detract from the main point of the discussion - which is my search for a good commute to CC without use of a car.

"Cold and sterile" is relative. I am from New York, original home of little ethnic neighborhoods, homegrown music, street life, little restaurants serving recipes descended from families, not corporations...and on and on.

But I digress, NoVA is not NY (and some would be thankful for that to them I say - to each his/her own).

I am not going to find what I am looking for here. The closest might be small stretches of Falls Church City, Del Ray or Old Town.

So, please feel free to suggest any Metro commutable neighborhoods and rental areas from Tysons to South Alexandria....even a few miles beyond the Beltway - but not much farther - Springfield? Kingstowne? parts of Arlington? and of course, as mentioned Del Ray or Old Town.

Thanks a big bunch!

shoeless

Old 06-28-2011, 03:21 PM

I can handle a monthly nut of $1500 to $2200K.

I might even get an extra bedroom to rent out to a work week commuter.

Isn't there a new neighborhood going up on Columbia Pike?

Thanks again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia