Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 01:27 AM

3 posts, read 3,627 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for your help! We are looking to move to NOVA in the next 3-4 weeks and need an apartment ASAP. Looking for a 2-3 bedroom, preferably near Gainesville, Manassas, or other communities in the area. Main question is about price range...I'm seeing some around $1000-$1200/mo, but I was expecting to pay at least $1500. Is this possible?

I should also note that my expectations on the $1500 were set by looking closer to the Tyson's Corner area about a year ago. Job is closer to Warrenton but I want to be closer to the Fairfax area for other work/education opportunities and closer to DC. Is it realistic to get the apartment under $1300 in a decent neighborhood?

Also, would like to avoid Manassas City, or anywhere else that's gonna charge personal property tax on top of the county. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 04:36 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
I'd plan on the $1500 a month if you want to live in a decent place. Some of the nice apt complexes are close to some bad areas but they rarely intersect together as far as crime goes. Avoid any complexes off Coverstone Dr and Portsmouth Rd. I am confused about your Manassas City comment. I live in the city and I don't pay anything to the county.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer011 View Post
Thanks in advance for your help! We are looking to move to NOVA in the next 3-4 weeks and need an apartment ASAP. Looking for a 2-3 bedroom, preferably near Gainesville, Manassas, or other communities in the area. Main question is about price range...I'm seeing some around $1000-$1200/mo, but I was expecting to pay at least $1500. Is this possible?

I should also note that my expectations on the $1500 were set by looking closer to the Tyson's Corner area about a year ago. Job is closer to Warrenton but I want to be closer to the Fairfax area for other work/education opportunities and closer to DC. Is it realistic to get the apartment under $1300 in a decent neighborhood?

Also, would like to avoid Manassas City, or anywhere else that's gonna charge personal property tax on top of the county. Thanks!
1500 would be for a very nice one-bedroom in Gainesville. For a 2-3 bedroom, I don't think 1500 is realistic except in the most undesirable places.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
1500 would be for a very nice one-bedroom in Gainesville. For a 2-3 bedroom, I don't think 1500 is realistic except in the most undesirable places.
Some of the newer complexes in Manassas are around $1400 for 2 bedrooms. I just helped a family member look for an apt.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:22 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times
How about www.citycenterva.com ? It doesn't have pricing but a coworker looked at them and said they were pretty nice. She was looking at a one bedroom for just over 1k so I'm assuming for a 2 or 300 more they would have a 2 bedroom?

Old 06-28-2011, 06:47 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer011 View Post
Manassas City is treated as its own county, as is Manassas Park City.

Personal property taxes you'll care about:
Manassas City: $3.25 per $100
Manassas Park City: I couldn't find the tax rate. It's probably higher given that the city has virtually zero commercial base.
Prince William County: $3.70 per $100

Haymarket does not levy a separate personal property tax.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:42 AM

Great, thanks for the info! Makes sense now about the personal property tax issue. I also could not find PPT rate info for Manassas Park, although I'm sure it's in line with everywhere else. Compared to where we are now, taxes seem a bit higher...we don't pay PPT and state income tax is a little lower, but sales tax is higher here and many localities also charge their own income tax.

We will be in the area this friday/saturday looking if anyone has additional suggestions. Thanks for all the info!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:16 AM

303 posts, read 591,970 times
I know someone who lives in these townhomes. They are pretty nice and a good price for a 3 bedroom.

You say close to Fairfax for education opportunity. Are you thinking of George Mason? If so, Mason has a campus in Manassas and it is right up the street from these townhomes.

The Broad Run Station of VRE that runs Monday-Friday into DC is across 28 from these townhomes too.

The Regency Apartments Manassas, VA - Apartments for Rent in Manassas Virginia

Old 06-28-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFan View Post
You say close to Fairfax for education opportunity. Are you thinking of George Mason? If so, Mason has a campus in Manassas and it is right up the street from these townhomes.
Yes, thinking George Mason...although that would be at least a year out. The PWC campus doesn't offer the relevant master's programs. And thanks for the info on those townhomes

Old 06-28-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFan View Post
I know someone who lives in these townhomes. They are pretty nice and a good price for a 3 bedroom.

The Broad Run Station of VRE that runs Monday-Friday into DC is across 28 from these townhomes too.

The Regency Apartments Manassas, VA - Apartments for Rent in Manassas Virginia

Before retiring from the PD this complex was quiet and still nice. Can't vouch for it now but I haven't heard anything negative about the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia