U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 AM

30,101 posts, read 67,199,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
I wish there were an invention about "turn signal cameras" where it catches people turning with no signal...especially when they slam on their brakes right in front of you! Grrr
I'd be 100% supportive of a "turn signal camera!" I routinely blared my horn at anyone and everyone who dared merge in front of me or come to a sudden stop to turn left in front of me WITHOUT using a turn signal. Much to my chagrin when I posted this pet peeve of mine in the past on here the "sunshine and puppies" crew on here bastardized me because my horn-honking would "wake up people who lived nearby". Here's an idea. Instead of chastising the person who DOES use turn signals (yes, even in parking lots when turning down aisles and into parking spaces) tell the people in front of me who are too busy with their cell phones whipped out to have a free hand to signal to actually SIGNAL, and I won't blare my horn. Deal? I've had people in NoVA actually have the nerve to flip me off when I honked at them for not signaling, and I'd have to flip them the bird back. There were so many moronic drivers there who'd merge in front of me without a signal and then BRAKE!

What excuse is there to not use a turn signal other than being a moron, anyways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 07:44 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,831,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'd be 100% supportive of a "turn signal camera!" I routinely blared my horn at anyone and everyone who dared merge in front of me or come to a sudden stop to turn left in front of me WITHOUT using a turn signal. Much to my chagrin when I posted this pet peeve of mine in the past on here the "sunshine and puppies" crew on here bastardized me because my horn-honking would "wake up people who lived nearby". Here's an idea. Instead of chastising the person who DOES use turn signals (yes, even in parking lots when turning down aisles and into parking spaces) tell the people in front of me who are too busy with their cell phones whipped out to have a free hand to signal to actually SIGNAL, and I won't blare my horn. Deal? I've had people in NoVA actually have the nerve to flip me off when I honked at them for not signaling, and I'd have to flip them the bird back. There were so many moronic drivers there who'd merge in front of me without a signal and then BRAKE!

What excuse is there to not use a turn signal other than being a moron, anyways?
LOL--tempting thought.... but just for the sake of playing Devil's advocate and considering the idea, putting "turn signal cameras" all over town sounds like an overly expensive way to deal with a relatively small problem.

And, what good would these cameras do unless there was also a high fine involved? Do you really want to start slapping $200 fines on people for not using a turn signal...and try to claim a still shot taken by a camera proved it? That seems like you'd be opening a big can of worms.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:48 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,503,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Red light cameras don't reduce accidents or red light violations. It's obvious with the revenue gain from the camera
Really? How many people knowingly run the lights when they KNOW that ticket will be in the mail, won't do that to many times. Aside from the fact when people stop fot the lights when there yellow (like your supposed to) It help control traffic backup.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:57 AM

639 posts, read 1,148,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The topic was, or so I thought, was about turning left. Your statement only applies to going straight through.
Eh, I just posted an article about how the red light cameras were coming back to Fairfax and what everyone thought about it...then it went on to talk about what constititutes running a red light straight on, not necessarily on a left turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Pure laziness and apathy. Unless someone's eating a cheeseburger and shaving at the same time - they may not be able to get to the turn signal.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,831,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Pure laziness and apathy. Unless someone's eating a cheeseburger and shaving at the same time - they may not be able to get to the turn signal.
Now that's gonna result in one crunchy cheeseburger!

Old 07-07-2011, 09:35 AM

13,027 posts, read 19,853,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL--tempting thought.... but just for the sake of playing Devil's advocate and considering the idea, putting "turn signal cameras" all over town sounds like an overly expensive way to deal with a relatively small problem.

And, what good would these cameras do unless there was also a high fine involved? Do you really want to start slapping $200 fines on people for not using a turn signal...and try to claim a still shot taken by a camera proved it? That seems like you'd be opening a big can of worms.
It would be easier to make one that snaps a photo of someone uselessly honking their horn.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:44 PM

6,555 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It would be easier to make one that snaps a photo of someone aggressively honking their horn.

Fixed it for you.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:26 PM

153 posts, read 236,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I walked in on the noon Ch 7 (WJLA) news and they had a red light poll on the screen for DC. It showed 78 % of DC residents support the use of the red light cameras. Pretty high stat considering all the blather you hear about "revenue generation" from so many people.
How many of the DC residents don't even drive? Revenue generation would actually do them good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia