Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 01:05 PM

7 posts, read 31,433 times

Advertisements

I currently have a teaching job in Fairfax County. I enjoy teaching at my current school and am not really looking to leave it. However, with the cost of gas rising I'm thinking about making a move to Prince William County Schools since they are going to be building a new school within 5 minutes of my house. I realize this will be a pay cut, but the lack of commute and traffic will make up for that.

Has any moved from teaching in Fairfax to Prince William County? If so, are the school systems drastically different? I've heard things like esol students and special ed students are not supported the same way, but there is nothing to back that up on the county's website.

Any information would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 03:23 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,209 times
Are you sure it's a pay cut? I know the salary scale might be lower, but I know one person who moved from PW to Ffx for a pay raise and then discovered he was making almost the exact same amount after all the mandatory deductions (retirement is a big one). Not sure what the current situation in PW is, but as of a few years ago teachers in PW didn't have to pay into retirement while, as you know, Ffx teachers have a deduction for it. Also there are some other things Ffx deducts for - some mandatory insurance, for example, that PW might not.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:02 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,755 times
One word: nightandday.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:22 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Are you sure it's a pay cut? I know the salary scale might be lower, but I know one person who moved from PW to Ffx for a pay raise and then discovered he was making almost the exact same amount after all the mandatory deductions (retirement is a big one). Not sure what the current situation in PW is, but as of a few years ago teachers in PW didn't have to pay into retirement while, as you know, Ffx teachers have a deduction for it. Also there are some other things Ffx deducts for - some mandatory insurance, for example, that PW might not.
A few years ago Fairfax didn't pay the employee cost into VRS (5%), but they started picking it up a few years ago. Fairfax County employees do pay 4% of their pay into ERFC ( mandatory county supplemental retirement) that PW doesn't have. Last I knew, PW did do some annuity matching that Fairfax doesn't do, but that is optional.

How many years do you have in Fairfax? When my wife and I looked into switching to PW before we moved from PW to Fairfax, their maximum entry step was a few years lower than Fairfax.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:06 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses! I have only been teaching for four years, and all four of those years have been in Fairfax. After a bit more research I discovered that it is only going to be a $1000 difference so that is not really a factor for me at all. I'm wondering about the quality of the classroom and the resources provided. Does anyone know if teachers get the same materials and support as they do in Fairfax? Being a Fairfax teacher, I hear that surrounding districts are inferior without any reasons as to why that is the case. I'm wondering if anyone has experience switching districts and any differences that they saw.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
One word: nightandday.
Can you please elaborate on that, what makes it night and day? Thanks!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:18 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
I know that when my son attended PW County schools (through 3rd grade), they asked the families to send in many more supplies than we ask for in Fairfax County. Of course, to compare I only have the 2 schools where my wife and I teach and one PW elementary, so it's a very small sample. We ask for what I consider to be a very short, basic supply list. As parents in PW we were asked to send in a lot of supplies that I thought the school should be providing such as reams of copy paper and the school even had a "wish list" posted on line with items such as copier toner and an answering machine for the office.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:05 AM

69 posts, read 220,759 times
Default Depends on the school

I'm not a teacher but my son is in the special ed program at Bristow Run and I am extremely pleased. We moved from out of state and specifically chose to be at this school.

His teacher moved from Fairfax after 8yrs in elementary and said she has never been happier. She has been in PWC for 4 yrs now.

We only donate hand sanitizer, kleenex or ziploc bags. We've never been asked to send in other supplies. There are however, "wishlists". I think that is just for parents that like to volunteer and give a little extra. It is not a requirement.

I think anything in the Bristow/Gainesville/Haymarket area would be a safe bet. Again, that is my opinion. I've had alot of bad experiences with schools and this area is by far, superior!

I will say that your experience will depend on which part of the county you work in. I'd stay away from Woodbridge/Dale City.

Top notch schools to work IMO would be Bristow Run Elem, Glenkirk Elem, and Cedar Point Elem.

Hope this helps and doesn't offend anyone.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:42 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrollem View Post
I'm not a teacher but my son is in the special ed program at Bristow Run and I am extremely pleased. We moved from out of state and specifically chose to be at this school.

His teacher moved from Fairfax after 8yrs in elementary and said she has never been happier. She has been in PWC for 4 yrs now.

We only donate hand sanitizer, kleenex or ziploc bags. We've never been asked to send in other supplies. There are however, "wishlists". I think that is just for parents that like to volunteer and give a little extra. It is not a requirement.

I think anything in the Bristow/Gainesville/Haymarket area would be a safe bet. Again, that is my opinion. I've had alot of bad experiences with schools and this area is by far, superior!

I will say that your experience will depend on which part of the county you work in. I'd stay away from Woodbridge/Dale City.

Top notch schools to work IMO would be Bristow Run Elem, Glenkirk Elem, and Cedar Point Elem.

Hope this helps and doesn't offend anyone.
Just wanted to add that the majority of elementary schools on the eastern side of PWC are also very good. The middle schools get fairly questionable, but with few exceptions, elementary is good.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 7,228 times
Default in the middle of making the switch

I am about to switch counties, (FCPS to PWCS) due to the fact that my commute is simply too long. Anyone out there know if PWCS teachers are paid monthly or biweekly? When is the first payroll deposit of the school year? Thanks in advance for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia