U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:36 PM

153 posts, read 236,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
a buncha college towns in flyover country (broadly defined) I bet. But those arent commuting distance to the jobs that many empty nester boomers still have. Empty nester /= retired.
Sure, I was talking strictly about retired. But again, with $600K+ extra you can easily retire 5-10 years early and enjoy the rest of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 01:38 PM

16,134 posts, read 20,767,260 times
Medicaid cuts will send most of them to the Knackers anyway

Old 06-29-2011, 01:42 PM

8,772 posts, read 10,676,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
My wife and I work virtually so that wouldn't be an issue but we're both severely bi-coastal.

If I was in that position, I would light out for Troy NY - where my DD will be in September. Now what youd get for 100k would be kinda sketchy, but I think for 150k or so you'd have something reasonably nice (no, I dont know how bad NYS taxes are) and with a lot fewer of the NoVa hassles. Walking distance to the cultural stuff on the RPI campus, and a half hour or so from several smaller colleges, UAlbany, and the cultural stuff of downtown Albany. Not much more than an hour to Williams college and the berkshires (Tanglewood, Jacobs Pillow, etc)

A lot of snow to be sure, but I would look for a brownstone in downtown Troy, so not much to dig out. And the RPI kids arent too rowdy, afaict.

Far from perfect - but thats constrained by where my DD will actually be.

If I didnt have that constraint (I know - this is just a fantasy anyway, so Im being silly imposing any constraint - but I like thought experiments) - and could pick from Ithaca NY, Bennington VT, Williamsburg Va, Charlottesville Va, Gainesville, Fl, and a host of others, I suspect I could find a better combo than even Troy.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:42 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvnova View Post
Almost everywhere in the 55+ communities. It's good jobs and schools which are in short supply in this country, not housing (especially 55+ restricted housing, where local authority did not have to build a school and so provided build rights cheaper). For example, in the outer suburbs or Orlando you can find a lot of retired people from Britain, both in retirement communities and outside. Educated people, just not those who could afford to retire in Spain. Worldly enough?
Plenty of new 100K houses with garages and pools. And they never have to dig through snow again.
Sounds depressing to me. I enjoy being around younger people who don't have kids. I'm more Arlington or Capitol Hill than Del Boca Vista. I think I'd prefer a smaller place in a more urban setting.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:47 PM

Case in point:
424 Bay Leaf Dr Poinciana FL - New Home for Sale - MLS #R3068151 - Realtor.com®
Beds4 bed Baths2 bath House Size2700 sq ft Lot SizeNot AvailablePrice$79,000Price/sqft$29Property TypeSingle Family Home

Year Built 2006 Stories 1 Garage 2
Or this
1789 Providence Blvd Deltona FL - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #O5032946 - Realtor.com®

and thousands others. Prices in FL right now are amazing (in NV, AZ, GA too).

Last edited by pvnova; 06-29-2011 at 01:57 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 01:48 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
You are missing out on some good spots. If I didn't have kids, I'd probably be living in Colorado Springs right now
With a bunch of right wingers too cheap to pay to keep the street lights on? No thanks. Santa Fe would be nice but I guarntee there's nothing nice close to 100K. I also like living where it's nice and green. Tough to beat the scenery where I live now. Maybe I'll just tear down my house and build a smaller place.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I think I'd prefer a smaller place in a more urban setting.
Urban settings are to be close to jobs, so they are more expensive (unless it's Detroit etc where there are no jobs).

Portland, OR is very nice, probably the best urban planning in the nation.
1125 NW 9TH Ave #213, Portland, OR 97209 | MLS# 10053663
Sold on 05/23/2011
$102,000
1125 NW 9TH Ave #213 Portland, OR 97209

Beds: 0 Baths: 1 Sq. Ft.: 566 $/Sq. Ft.: $180 Lot Size: - Property Type:Residential, Condominium Style:Common Stories:1 Year Built: 2004

Old 06-29-2011, 02:39 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,848,100 times
Quote:
If I didnt have that constraint (I know - this is just a fantasy anyway, so Im being silly imposing any constraint - but I like thought experiments) - and could pick from Ithaca NY, Bennington VT, Williamsburg Va, Charlottesville Va, Gainesville, Fl, and a host of others, I suspect I could find a better combo than even Troy.
I almost pulled the trigger on a Georgian with 20+ acres right outside Williamsburg, VA. A real beautiful spot right next to a state park... Horseback riding, river access, tennis court, hunting... The property had it all! Couldn't do it at the end, because I wanted my kids to grow up with all the educational, cultural and spiritual resources available in NoVA.
Quote:
With a bunch of right wingers too cheap to pay to keep the street lights on? No thanks. Santa Fe would be nice but I guarntee there's nothing nice close to 100K. I also like living where it's nice and green. Tough to beat the scenery where I live now. Maybe I'll just tear down my house and build a smaller place.
Hey, I gave you Boulder, the liberal counterpart to Colorado Springs. Whatever the politics, both cities have that mountain charm and beauty you won't find here. There is also Austin which should be "weird" enough for you.

You can find $100K homes on the rough side of Santa Fe, but I guarantee you won't like them.

But to each his own. Some people will put up with a lot to live near a beach (SoCal, Hampton Roads, VA, etc.). I never could. I prefer mountains to beaches. Sure you run into mountain lions occasionally and a relocated city-slicker or two gets eaten while jogging mindlessly on the trails, but that's why I run with a snubbie 357 Mag.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:06 PM

8,772 posts, read 10,676,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
I almost pulled the trigger on a Georgian with 20+ acres right outside Williamsburg, VA. A real beautiful spot right next to a state park... Horseback riding, river access, tennis court, hunting... The property had it all! Couldn't do it at the end, because I wanted my kids to grow up with all the educational, cultural and spiritual resources available in NoVA.
I'm assuming baby boomer empty nesters (young enough to still work, but able to telecommute virtually 100% of the time) That simplifies things.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:15 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,848,100 times
Quote:
I'm assuming baby boomer empty nesters (young enough to still work, but able to telecommute virtually 100% of the time) That simplifies things.
Once kids don't live with you, the possibilities are endless!

Heck, there are some amazing properties I saw in and around Bluemont and Purcelleville I thought would be excellent for retirement. And they are close enough for occasional forays into NoVA-proper for more urban amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or