U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:28 AM

45 posts, read 63,218 times

Advertisements

Didn't want to create a new thread as a similar one had already started. Is anyone here familiar with Fursman Kennels? It came highly recommended to my wife and myself and we had used it before. The friends who have recommended it have seen the inside and have said the facilities are nice, but the owner has always been a little cagey about letting us see the kennels ourselves and it's beginning to bother us. Has anyone else actually used or seen these facilities? Thanks!

W.T. Door
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 02:15 PM

7,961 posts, read 9,710,285 times
Last year, when I needed to board all 4 dogs while I was moving, I looked at Fursman Kennels, as they are located right down the street from where I was moving. They were SUPER nice on the phone, and were excited and welcomed me into the area. She even was willing to accept my dogs for just one night. (I guess they normally do two nights on weekends). Anyway, things looked perfect, until I asked if I could stop by and see the kennels one day before their visit. They were also very cagey with me, and would not allow it.

I am not saying this is a bad place to board, as I have never boarded there. But, for me, I'll need to see the place before I drop my pups off. This could be a great place, but not for me.

Maybe someone should tell them that they are losing customers by not letting people tour the facilities.

Old Mill and Blue Ribbon definately allow tours.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:45 AM

Thanks -- I appreciate the response. My wife has a couple of calls into friends at the German Shepherd Rescue who have used this place before to see if anyone's actually seen the inside ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Last year, when I needed to board all 4 dogs while I was moving, I looked at Fursman Kennels, as they are located right down the street from where I was moving. They were SUPER nice on the phone, and were excited and welcomed me into the area. She even was willing to accept my dogs for just one night. (I guess they normally do two nights on weekends). Anyway, things looked perfect, until I asked if I could stop by and see the kennels one day before their visit. They were also very cagey with me, and would not allow it.

I am not saying this is a bad place to board, as I have never boarded there. But, for me, I'll need to see the place before I drop my pups off. This could be a great place, but not for me.

Maybe someone should tell them that they are losing customers by not letting people tour the facilities.

Old Mill and Blue Ribbon definately allow tours.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:40 AM

1,287 posts, read 1,736,262 times
I would see this as a huge red flag. I can understand the need to limit the hours you want people dropping by, but....

Old 08-03-2011, 12:33 PM

Just wanted to follow up after talking with my wife. She has heard back from some individuals with the VGSR who have seen and approve of the condition of the kennel facilities. It seems that -- for whatever reason, good or bad -- it takes some time for the owner to trust individuals enough to let them see her operation. The VGSR folks, who care deeply about their animals, believe that the owner runs a very good establishment. The idea of not showing the kennels seems odd to me, but after asking the questions I wanted to make sure I put out the information I knew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtdoor View Post
Thanks -- I appreciate the response. My wife has a couple of calls into friends at the German Shepherd Rescue who have used this place before to see if anyone's actually seen the inside ...

Old 08-03-2011, 04:50 PM

7,961 posts, read 9,710,285 times
Glad to hear they are good, especially since they are so close to me. I wouldn't be surprised if their hesitation stems from a fear of animal rights activists learning the facility and doing something bad.

As mentioned before, if you or anyone else ends up boarding there, you may want to mention that this policy is likely causing them to lose customers.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:23 PM

148 posts, read 298,584 times
I did a Google search for Old Mill dog boarding in Leesburg and this thread came up. I'm looking for a place to board my two dogs for the first time and I'm considering Old Mill. It's reassuring to see that it was recommended by several posters here.

If the original poster reads this, who did you end up using? Anyone else have any comments about dog boarding options in or around Leesburg or northern Loudoun County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or