Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:42 AM

19 posts, read 95,848 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Which high school would or did you choose to send your child: Chantilly, Centreville, Westfield, or Fairfax? And why?

If you're a FCPS staff or volunteer what school did you enjoy working at?

I prefer responces from parents whose children are currently attending these high schools, staff who have worked at these high schools, individuals who have volunteered for one of these particular schools, or parents of children who have graduated from either of these schools. I welcome information from former students as well.

Yes, I've read the reviews on Great Schools and the statistical information on Fairfax County Public School's Website. However, the reviews on Great Schools were old and stats can not explain real experiences. I would like to know what where your personal pros or cons about the schools mentioned above?

Also, I will truly appreciate additional information about the communities that feed into these high schools.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 11:53 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
There's a wide variety of communities that feed into those four schools.

What else are you looking for? Are you looking for a SFH? Townhouse? Are you looking for what passes for funky here in Northern Virginia? (If you are, your only option is to buy close to Old Town Fairfax.)

Most importantly, where's your (or your DH's) job? Fairfax serves an area closer in than the others, one that is (IMO) better suited to a generic commute to places in Northern Virginia.

A co-worker graduated from Centreville in '03 (I think.) He speaks well of it. I'm sure you know Westfield has been in the news recently for its bumper crops of heroin users and psychotics. Then again, being much bigger than the other three schools, it'll have more screwups.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:19 AM

515 posts, read 1,691,647 times
Which high school would or did you choose to send your child: Chantilly, Centreville, Westfield, or Fairfax?

I never had kids in the Fairfax schools. But I doubt that any difference in academic quality exists between these schools. You need to check on possible differences in course offerings. I believe there is a chart at the FCPS website.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
There's a wide variety of communities that feed into those four schools.

What else are you looking for? Are you looking for a SFH? Townhouse? Are you looking for what passes for funky here in Northern Virginia? (If you are, your only option is to buy close to Old Town Fairfax.)

Most importantly, where's your (or your DH's) job? Fairfax serves an area closer in than the others, one that is (IMO) better suited to a generic commute to places in Northern Virginia.

A co-worker graduated from Centreville in '03 (I think.) He speaks well of it. I'm sure you know Westfield has been in the news recently for its bumper crops of heroin users and psychotics. Then again, being much bigger than the other three schools, it'll have more screwups.

Right now my concern are the schools. I currently have a realtor assisting me with my homsearch. I'm looking into single family communities. My husband and I will be working from home so commute time is a non-issue for us. Also, I grew up in Washington DC and I'm not that interested in being too close to the city. I'm just relocating back to be closer to my family, but not that close.

Since realtors could be slap with a discrimination lawsuit for "swaying" me to certain schools or neighborhoods, I thought that I could obtain some advice from individuals who have experiences with these particular high schools.

Last edited by Eastcoaster34; 01-17-2011 at 11:02 AM..

Old 01-17-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Oldtimer View Post
Which high school would or did you choose to send your child: Chantilly, Centreville, Westfield, or Fairfax?

I never had kids in the Fairfax schools. But I doubt that any difference in academic quality exists between these schools. You need to check on possible differences in course offerings. I believe there is a chart at the FCPS website.

I have spent countless hours dissecting the Fairfax County Public School website and Great Schools (all the reviews are old). Test scores and outdated reviews do not tell me: the level of parental involvement, the atmosphere of the school, discipline methods, administration support, communication between teachers and parents, the behavior of the students, etc.

It will be great to learn about other people's personal experiences with these schools. I will hate to only make a decision based on test scores alone without talking with other parents or staff. However, at this point I may have to do just that and hope for the best.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:48 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Do you have athletes? If so, Chantilly or Westfield have stronger sports programs, especially football. Tougher to make the teams there, but the potential for glory is greater.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:15 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Not knowing what your children are interested in, you may want to explore the different academies at Chantilly and Fairfax as well. These are open to ALL junior or senior students, no matter which high school they attend, but it only seems more likely that attendance would be easier if already attending that school. There is an application process, and I believe students need to provide their own transportation if they go. Normally students only take one class there, but it's a two period block. The academy at Fairfax HS is for communication and the arts, Fairfax Academy for Communications and the Arts The one at Chantilly is for Engineering and Scientific Technology, Health and Human Service, Chantilly Academy Homepage Once upon a time you would have called these the voc.ed classes, but no more. My son took network design and network administration at Chantilly Academy, then got his IT degree at GMU and has done very well, especially due to the network he gained in the academy program. It's not for everyone, but it's great for those who are interested in those fields. If it may fit your children in the future, may be worth considering in terms of schools.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:20 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times
I graduated from Centreville high school eons ago....the first full graduating class of 1992. My little brother graduated from there 8 or 9 years ago. It was a decent school though I think Fairfax County Schools are overrated. I do know kids that currently go to Westfield and their parents say that Westfield has a drug problem (but then again they could be very overprotective parents).

But - Fairfax was NEVER where you wanted your kids to go - maybe that has changed. If it was me, I would aim for Chantilly or Centreville.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:54 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
But - Fairfax was NEVER where you wanted your kids to go - maybe that has changed. If it was me, I would aim for Chantilly or Centreville.
Take this with a grain of salt as I don't use the FCPS.

My coworker has 5 kids. Except for the youngest, they have all attended Fairfax High School. My coworker said that when her two oldest went there (they would have graduated between 7-10 years ago), it was kind of the pits.

The next two there graduated in 2007 and 2010. She said the school was SO much better for those two and she actually loves the school now. The 2010 class had 40 students gain acceptance into UVA which is pretty good, IMO.

I wouldn't rule this school out.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:54 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
I don't have direct experience with any of these schools, so feel free to discount this, but I really think the similarities between these schools are much greater than the differences. They are all large high schools with AP programs (rather than IB programs).

A few other observations about Fairfax HS in particular:

It is further east than the other three schools, so you'd likely find a larger percentage of families where one or more parent works in Arlington or DC. In comparison, you'd probably find more families in the Westfield, Chantilly or Centreville districts where one or more parents works in the high-tech corredors along Route 28 and the Dulles Toll Road.

In addition, Fairfax HS is near two of the top-performing high schools in the county (Woodson and Oakton), so it sometimes is compared unfavorably to them. The other three high schools aren't saddled with that burden. If you look at Fairfax's recent test scores, however (and I'm sure you have), it compares quite favorably with other schools in the state and nation.

Fairfax HS is operated by Fairfax County, but it's located in the City of Fairfax, and there is actually a separate School Board for the City of Fairfax that monitors the school. It's probably a good thing that there is an extra set of eyes looking at the school and making sure it is treated fairly by the county board.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia