U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 03:41 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,062,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
But, if you're buying a lot of liquor to transport across the state line....be sure to look around that DC or MD liquor store parking lot for "official" looking vehicles.

Holidays are when those sneaky ABC agents have been known to stake out the big discount liquor stores!
So are you saying that its illegal to "transport" liquor "across the state line"???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 03:42 PM

477 posts, read 657,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
I don't know MD since I don't shop there, but with respect to DC and Virginia, the answer is it depends.

The cheapest place I've found is Calvert-Woodley in DC. They have a weekly ad in the Post and their regular prices are still better than the Virginia ABC stores. They have a good selection (very good for Scotch). And yes, it is worth going out of your way.

Next cheapest is usually the Virginia ABC stores. However, the selection depends on the store, as most stores have a limited selection; however, certain stores carry almost the entire ABC catalog. For the original poster, if you head a little further out to the Tysons ABC store, you can find pretty much everything ABC carries.

What you get from the smaller liquor stores in DC can vary tremondously but the prices are always higher than Calvert-Woodley and almost always higher than the Virginia ABC stores. (indeed, my understanding is that many of the smaller stores fill some of their needs from Calvert-Woodley). The good thing about the better DC stores is that they may have a better selection than either Calvert-Woodley or Virginia ABC.

For me, I tend to make a couple of big trips to CW a year and stock up on my most-used liquors; do my interim shopping at the Virginia ABC stores for convenience and head over to the DC store near my office occasionally for hard-to-find or new-to-market items. Hope this helps.
I live around Tysons corner. I will checkout Tysons ABC for now.

May be sometime I will grab few bottles from Clavert-Woodley.

Thank you!!

Old 06-30-2011, 04:38 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,863,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
So are you saying that its illegal to "transport" liquor "across the state line"???

Yes, transporting more than one gallon (or the metric equivalent) into VA is illegal....penalty: up to $2500 fine, one year in jail, vehicle involved may be confiscated.

Exception: a person moving into VA may transport more than one gallon into VA under a special permit issued by ABC.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:51 PM

22 posts, read 52,435 times
Quote:
Yes, transporting more than one gallon (or the metric equivalent) into VA is illegal....penalty: up to $2500 fine, one year in jail, vehicle involved may be confiscated.

Exception: a person moving into VA may transport more than one gallon into VA under a special permit issued by ABC.
Just to cite the actual law, it is here:
LIS > Code of Virginia > 4.1-311

Relevant section:
"The transportation of alcoholic beverages lawfully purchased outside the Commonwealth, within, into or through the Commonwealth, in quantities in excess of one gallon or four liters if any part of the alcohol being transported is held in metric-sized containers, is prohibited except in accordance with Board regulations adopted pursuant to this section.

C. Any person transporting alcoholic beverages in violation of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor."

Old 06-30-2011, 06:08 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,941,773 times
Quote:

Is this still enforced? One would think that with all the drugs out there (and violent crimes), transportation of liquor for personal consumption would be a low priority.

And I smuggled booze (a bottle of wine and a six-pack of Berliner Kindl Dunkel Bock) into the US from Germany when I was 19!

Old 06-30-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Is this still enforced? One would think that with all the drugs out there (and violent crimes), transportation of liquor for personal consumption would be a low priority.

And I smuggled booze (a bottle of wine and a six-pack of Berliner Kindl Dunkel Bock) into the US from Germany when I was 19!

Well, the VA Alcohol Control Board has it's own agents that specifically enforce alcohol laws....drugs are "not their job".

I seriously doubt that they rigorously enforce the no more than a gallon law....there's just too many DC & MD liquor stores and few ABC agents. Over the years, there have been sporadic media reports of them staking out out-of-state liquor stores....mostly in advance of big drinking holidays like New Years. Even then I imagine they would only go after the big fish....folks loading case after case of liquor into a Virginia tagged car or truck.

One thing I know they particularly worry about is a Virginia liquor license holder like say, a restaurant selling out-of-state booze in a Virginia establishment. Restaurants must buy their liquor at retail from the ABC just like you or I. So, an unscrupulous bar owner might be tempted to increase their profits by getting their stuff for less in DC or MD.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:59 PM

22 posts, read 52,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I know of someone who was charged with it in the past 3-4 years.

VA has lots of spare time to pursue alcohol charges. In 2008 they were still busting people for selling sangria...They busted rustico for selling frozen beer popsicles in 2007...And of course, Virginia is one of the last states that actively pursues prosecuting people who have small stills, even if they aren't using them to make alcohol.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novageek View Post
...And of course, Virginia is one of the last states that actively pursues prosecuting people who have small stills, even if they aren't using them to make alcohol.

Hate to tell you, but moonshine is BIG business in Virginia! Rocky Mount, Va in Franklin County is probably the epicenter....thousands of gallons a week are produced. It's not uncommon for the revenuers to find a dozen 800 gallons stills in one place. It's good stuff too...served in after-hours clubs as far away as Chicago!

Every year for 30+ years, I travel I-81 to Galax, VA to compete in a banjo competition, and several times I've passed by 'shine busts. If you see lots of State Troopers and hundreds or thousands of one gallon plastic milk jugs lined up on the shoulder...you know they got 'em a moonshiner! LOL

Personally, I prefer Carroll County hooch and I always bring home a few jars for special occasions. Just don't eat the plum....that plum'll knock you on your arse!

Old 07-01-2011, 06:49 AM

5,738 posts, read 8,941,773 times
Wow! I stand forewarned. Although the most booze I've ever bought at once has been a case o' Chuck. (That would be Charles Shaw for cheap-wine avoiders here.)

Old 07-01-2011, 11:33 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,771,569 times
How about this:

Besides Total Wine & More, what other stores sell a good selection of craft and micro beers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia