Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:07 AM

4 posts, read 17,645 times

Advertisements

The fam and I are moving to Northern Virginia this fall with my husband’s job. I have been lurking this forum for the past few months, and I have gotten a lot of my questions answered already. (Thank you!!)

What I need now are specifics. These are our wants (in order of importance).

*SFH Listed up to mid $800s
*Colonial, with basement. Preferably updated kitchen and baths (but for the perfect-everything-else house, we are okay to make updates later)
*Great Elementary – We have 2 young kids
*Great School Pyramid -- plan to stay thru kids' high school (and honestly for resale value)
*Easy-enough commute by car to Tyson's Corner (for DH’s “9 to 5”)
*Close-enough to Grocery and Gas (prefer 5 min, but understand I may have to travel a lot more)
*Sidewalks and Cul-de-sacs
*Community Pool and/or Tennis Courts -- or a close by that a 10-year-old would be able to walk or bike there alone or with friends.

So far I'm drawn to Vienna. We LOVE Shouse Village and the neighborhood across from Wolftrap Elem. What I need is suggestions on other neighborhoods we could focus on, to increase our options.

We are planning to rent for up to 6 months or so, as we scout the market for our perfect abode.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 10:49 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
Here are some possibilities (not exhaustive):

The subdivision closest to Cardinal Hill Swim Club in Vienna (22182) is called Wexford. It's within your price range; schools are Westbriar ES/Kilmer MS/Madison HS. Super-easy commute to Tysons.

Another area you might consider is Stonewall Manor (22180). Also within your price range and not far from Dunn Loring and other swim clubs. Schools are Stenwood ES; Thoreau MS; Marshall HS.

In McLean, you could look at some of the neighborhoods off Great Falls Street near Kent Gardens ES and/or Kent Gardens Recreation Club. This is one of the more affordable areas of McLean, with many homes within your price range (though likely to be older than similar homes in Vienna). Schools are Kent Gardens ES; Longfellow MS; McLean HS).

Keep in mind that many swim clubs currently have waiting lists. Saganista or Claremarie recently posted a link to information about all the swim clubs in the area, so maybe you should look for that post as well. Given how congested the roads are around here, it will probably be easier to find a house relatively close to a swim club than one that you'd actually let a 10-year-old walk or bike to, though Wexford and Shouse Village both fit that bill.

Last edited by JD984; 06-30-2011 at 11:19 AM..

Old 06-30-2011, 10:51 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times
Take some time and look at houses in Ashburn. The commute is not to bad to Tyson's if you don't mind the tolls on the Greenway. You'll get much more house for the money than in Vienna. There is lots of new construction here in your price range. Plus the schools are great. I've lived in Fairfax, Annandale,Vienna, Centreville and Springfield and I like it here in Ashburn the most.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:03 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
It's a question of trade-offs. If I were working in the Tysons area, and could afford a house in your price range, I'd focus on Oakton, Vienna and McLean, unless I really wanted something that was more or less brand new. Reston is also an option. Some people think the commute from Reston to Tysons is quite manageable, while others have complained bitterly about it in the past. Ashburn is a good bit further west of Tysons than Reston.

Commuting can be a bear here, particularly commuting to Tysons from the west, so you should ask whether your husband wants to take on that burden right after moving to a new place. In addition, there's continued uncertainty as to exactly how high the tolls on the Dulles Toll Road and the Greenway will end up going to help fund the Silver Line construction. You might conclude that you want to start out living quite close to Tysons and then decide after you're more familiar with the area whether you'd prefer a house further out and would be OK with a longer commute.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to look at Ashburn if I were working near Dulles or along the Route 28 corredor, rather than in Tysons. Certainly the schools in Oakton, Vienna and McLean are just as good as the schools in Ashburn (apart from the powerhouse Stone Bridge football team!).

Last edited by JD984; 06-30-2011 at 11:48 AM..

Old 06-30-2011, 11:10 AM

158 posts, read 379,059 times
i would look in the Lakevale Estates neighborhood in Vienna. Reminds me of Shouse Village a little.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:13 AM

198 posts, read 358,203 times
Reston could be an option due to the availability of pools and tennis courts in the area that are part of Reston Association. I do not find the commute to Tysons from Reston to be too bad. No traffic = 15-20 minutes, normal traffic = 25-35 minutes, bad traffic...well, depends on the cause, but it was unusual for me to ever have a commute over 45 minutes, and often the worst part of that was in Tysons area. Easy access to grocery stores and other conveniences, and sidewalks and walking paths all over the place. I am not overly familiar with the schools so can't comment on that, but certainly there are many families in the area.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:27 AM

298 posts, read 680,846 times
Also consider McLean Hamlet. Mclean Hamlet, McLean Virginia

Old 06-30-2011, 03:30 PM

722 posts, read 1,923,167 times
Just a thought...

although you may be comfortable with the location/route for a 10 year old to bike to the pool/rec center alone, the pool/rec center may have rules prohibiting it. I know my neighborhood pool (prince william county) will not allow kids under 12 in without an adult.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:39 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,570 times
Potomac Hills in McLean would work. Several homes currently listed under $850K, kids can walk or bike to Highlands Swim and Tennis on neighborhood streets (there is a waiting list for club membership, though), top school pyramid with all schools (Chesterbrook/Haycock/McLean) very close by, Safeway at Chesterbrook shopping center less than a mile away, pretty easy commute to Tyson's. Some streets have sidewalks on one side, but there are cul de sacs and no cut-through streets. There are more split-levels and bi-levels than colonials, however, and you will be paying a premium to live so close to DC. We loved living there and would consider the neighborhood again if we ever relocated back to DC.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:56 PM

4 posts, read 17,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Here are some possibilities (not exhaustive):

The subdivision closest to Cardinal Hill Swim Club in Vienna (22182) is called Wexford. It's within your price range; schools are Westbriar ES/Kilmer MS/Madison HS. Super-easy commute to Tysons.

Another area you might consider is Stonewall Manor (22180). Also within your price range and not far from Dunn Loring and other swim clubs. Schools are Stenwood ES; Thoreau MS; Marshall HS.

In McLean, you could look at some of the neighborhoods off Great Falls Street near Kent Gardens ES and/or Kent Gardens Recreation Club. This is one of the more affordable areas of McLean, with many homes within your price range (though likely to be older than similar homes in Vienna). Schools are Kent Gardens ES; Longfellow MS; McLean HS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtotwoboys View Post
i would look in the Lakevale Estates neighborhood in Vienna. Reminds me of Shouse Village a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyField View Post
Also consider McLean Hamlet. Mclean Hamlet, McLean Virginia
Thanks so much for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
Just a thought...

although you may be comfortable with the location/route for a 10 year old to bike to the pool/rec center alone, the pool/rec center may have rules prohibiting it. I know my neighborhood pool (prince william county) will not allow kids under 12 in without an adult.
Great point

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Potomac Hills in McLean would work. Several homes currently listed under $850K, kids can walk or bike to Highlands Swim and Tennis on neighborhood streets (there is a waiting list for club membership, though), top school pyramid with all schools (Chesterbrook/Haycock/McLean) very close by, Safeway at Chesterbrook shopping center less than a mile away, pretty easy commute to Tyson's. Some streets have sidewalks on one side, but there are cul de sacs and no cut-through streets. There are more split-levels and bi-levels than colonials, however, and you will be paying a premium to live so close to DC. We loved living there and would consider the neighborhood again if we ever relocated back to DC.
This seems exactly like what I am looking for -- will have to actually go and see it all in person tho.

Also I should have pointed out that proximity to swim was not high on the list, so we wouldn't make a decision solely on this, altho it would definitely be a plus .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia