U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 08:24 PM

6 posts, read 44,969 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the DC Metro area/ NOVA in January of 2012 to attend graduate school in DC. I am interested in a studio or ideally a 1 bedroom in the Old Town, Pentagon City, or Arlington National Cemetery area. I would ideally like within distance to metrorail but a bus line to a metro station is acceptable. Traffic is no problem as I am not bringing a car.

For budget I am looking at $1500 a month. 600 sq/ft and up would be ideal, but I am probably being to ambitious. Near green space or water would be great as I am moving from Western Michigan and would like something that has a somewhat familiar feel.

Any help anyone is willing to offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 04:32 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,514,901 times
Of the three I'd recommend Old Town. I don't think I'd want to live in Pentagon City or near Arlington National cemetery without a car. I don't consider those areas particularly walkable and there isn't a ton there to keep you entertained. I'd look around the orange line at Rosslyn/Clarendon/Court House but I'm entirely unsure of rental prices in those areas.

Do you know what school you will be attending? I would definitely consider that when deciding where to live some areas of DC are hard to get to from other areas without a car.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:07 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,395,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
Do you know what school you will be attending? I would definitely consider that when deciding where to live some areas of DC are hard to get to from other areas without a car.
Yes, this would be a very important thing to know. The only school in DC that is actually convenient from Virginia by Metro is GW. You can get to most of the others by changing trains or adding buses or shuttles, but the inconvenience of having to do that all the time might dictate a thought or two about living in a place that is not Virginia.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:14 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,110,553 times
Why don't you want to live in DC? That's what I'd do in your situation. Getting from NoVA would be an unnecessary hassle. DC is transforming into a giant college/post-college town so you'd be around lots of people like you.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:41 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,364,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terranovaimaging View Post
I am moving to the DC Metro area/ NOVA in January of 2012 to attend graduate school in DC. I am interested in a studio or ideally a 1 bedroom in the Old Town, Pentagon City, or Arlington National Cemetery area. I would ideally like within distance to metrorail but a bus line to a metro station is acceptable. Traffic is no problem as I am not bringing a car.

For budget I am looking at $1500 a month. 600 sq/ft and up would be ideal, but I am probably being to ambitious. Near green space or water would be great as I am moving from Western Michigan and would like something that has a somewhat familiar feel.

Any help anyone is willing to offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
I live in a 600+ square foot studio in Pentagon City for a bit less than $1500 a month. 8 minute walk to metro and I've not used my car once other than leaving the metro area. There's a park across the street and the Potomac is less than a mile away. If you attend GW it will be a quick 10 minute or less train to school and the complex is full of students and young professional types.

Here's the website if you're interested...
Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-30-2011 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: sorry, that's real estate advertising; perhaps offer to Direct Message the details to the OP

Old 06-30-2011, 06:18 PM

6 posts, read 44,969 times
The school I am attending is the Institute of World Politics. it is on 16th street NW.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:28 PM

7,968 posts, read 18,096,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terranovaimaging View Post
The school I am attending is the Institute of World Politics. it is on 16th street NW.
DC itself is small enough that you can get to Georgetown - which has an appealing waterfront area - relatively quickly, especially from your school.

If I were in your shoes, I'd prioritize proximity to school over being close to water and green space (which is in relatively short supply close-in, as it is) but nonetheless: you may want to consider the low- and high-rise apartment buildings on South Washington Street in Old Town Alexandria...or check out apartment/condo rentals across the border in the Belle Haven section of Fairfax County. You'd be in close vicinity of a rather attractive stretch of the Potomac River, including a biking/jogging trail and (in Fairfax Co.) a picnic area. The whole trail runs from Mt. Vernon (south) up past Reagan National Airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia