U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 05:15 AM

4 posts, read 5,934 times

Advertisements

I work, about 2 miles north of Dulles International Airport out by Ashburn. I live in Stafford. The commute is killing me. I had hoped to move into the area, but I find contradicting reports all over the place for different areas. I have a wife, and a motorcycle. I don't want to have to worry about either getting hurt. She works usually into the late hours (2300+) and I start work early (0100-0200) and so my biggest concern is safety and security, and right behind that is cost. But for more safety (and hopefully a garage or enclosed parking area to work on my bike), I am willing to pay more. I had heard good things about a place, Archstone? I think it was and the sycamores. My wife and I moved up from further south for her work and mine, and have been living with a friend in Stafford in the meantime, but am hoping to find a good place to rent in the areas anywhere around Waxpool road and Rt 28. I hoped that there may be a few people who have lived in the area or currently live in the area that may help, I really sincerely appreciate it!

I have been researching and I am trying to find the best fit for me and my wife, We do not have any children, but sometimes she gets sick (works at a hospital) and I want to be able to get home to her if necessary in less time than an hour and a half. I just didn't want anyone to think I was just asking for the same old information. Essentially just looking for a 1 Bed 1 Bath, garage would be nice but is optional, and in a safe neighborhood, given that my wife works until the late hours. Thank you again.

Last edited by disciple6525; 06-30-2011 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: Clarification of Sought after apartment
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 07:00 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,201,731 times
I can't think of any areas of Ashburn that are even close to questionable. In fact, you get people on here saying it's boring.

Leesburg can be troublesome just inside the bypass around Plaza Street, Edwards Ferry Road, and Fort Evans Road, and there's some parts of Sterling Park and Sugarland Run I'd prefer not to live in.

What is your budget, though?

Old 06-30-2011, 08:01 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,216,649 times
Quote:
Leesburg can be troublesome just inside the bypass around Plaza Street, Edwards Ferry Road, and Fort Evans Road, and there's some parts of Sterling Park and Sugarland Run I'd prefer not to live in.
Yes^ spot on.

Ashburn has very low crime and would be a great commute. Alot of TH will have garages (usually single). The downside is it's mostly families (due to good schools and low crime) and not much charater. (more sterile suburbia)

Leesburg has a few trouble spots, but as lisited abovethey are pretty well concentrated to the cluster of Apts that have section 8 housing. BUT, it's not like there are drive by shooting and car jackings if you drive through. etc...I lived over by there (with 3 kids) and never had a problem driving through etc... most of the crime is domestic violence, theft and petty drug crimes.
Leesburg has alot of TH and apts that are very safe etc... It has more eclectic mix of people, has a neat historic downtown area, a couple of good bars and resturants, County couurthouse etc.. There are some very neat places in the downtown area that I would live, if I didn't have kids.

Reston would be another place to look, it's more $$$ but has a nice "town center" and probably more "action" than Leesburg and definately more than Ashburn.

Sterling... Look at the Cascades area, again low crime etc...I'd avoid places like Sterling Park etc... until you are more familiar with the indivdual neighborhoods etc...

Old 06-30-2011, 08:07 AM

4,528 posts, read 4,762,712 times
These units are nice. Plus the neighborhood can't be beat.
Reference to Ashburn apartment complex

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-30-2011 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: sorry, that's real estate advertising; perhaps DM the member with the info

Old 06-30-2011, 08:12 AM

1,568 posts, read 4,301,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
These units are nice. Plus the neighborhood can't be beat.
Moderator Cut
too bad they are leased by that leasing company!.. I would personally check out rentals offered by individual owners and skip apartments and management companies altogether. As far as where to look Ashburn is great for couples and families, I think it would suit you and your wife just fine but I also wouldnt discount other areas like Centreville, Chantilly, Reston and South Riding.

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-30-2011 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: removed previous deleted portion of quote

Old 07-06-2011, 01:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,934 times
Our budget is.....we would like to save as much money as possible, but we are both willing to go 1200 for an apartment, or 1500 for a place that takes care of at least some or most of the things like Utilities and or internet/cable and or power, but those things are not necessary. But I definitely appreciate everyones thoughts and suggestions on this! like I said previously, my priorities are:
1. Wife
2. Garage or safe parking for my motorcycle
3. ease of commute to Dulles International Airport for work.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:32 PM

267 posts, read 481,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Sterling... Look at the Cascades area, again low crime etc...I'd avoid places like Sterling Park etc... until you are more familiar with the individual neighborhoods etc...
Sterling is very hit or miss. The Casdades are nice overall. I'm not too familiar with the Sugarland Run area, but it looks kinda seedy to me. As far as Sterling Park, just avoid any place within a 2-3 block radius of Sterling Plaza and you'll be ok. The apartments and townhouses in that area are where most of the serious crime is concentrated.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 AM

139 posts, read 298,996 times
Just wondering, he didn't mention it, but what's the opinion on the Herndon area from you all? Just curious as I am moving there and do a lot of running, so I want to know about safety as well. Would be nice to hear some things about that area as well and maybe that area would work for him and his wife as well....????

Old 07-08-2011, 10:16 AM

267 posts, read 481,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpktch View Post
Just wondering, he didn't mention it, but what's the opinion on the Herndon area from you all? Just curious as I am moving there and do a lot of running, so I want to know about safety as well. Would be nice to hear some things about that area as well and maybe that area would work for him and his wife as well....????
Herndon is similar to Reston and Sterling. There are good parts and bad.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:27 AM

139 posts, read 298,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post
Herndon is similar to Reston and Sterling. There are good parts and bad.
I sure hope I am living in a good part It's hard to tell unless it just plain looks scary at first....I am in walking distance of downtown. Looks like a decent location for running but then again, you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia