U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 05:40 AM

28 posts, read 42,781 times

Advertisements

I need to pick up my brother in law at Dulles on Friday afternoon. He is getting in at 4 pm and I am coming from Woodbridge. I will have enough people in the car to qualify for the HOV lane. I drove to Tyson's Corner the other day in the late morning. It seemed that there were several areas under construction was increased the time it took to get there. Would it be better to go to Manassas and up that way? What about toll roads? Google said there were partial toll roads but I don't know where or how much money to make sure I have. If I am heading back to Woodbridge about 4:30 on a Friday afternoon what will be the best way? I am new to the area so any suggestions would be great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 05:51 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,152,749 times
I live in Woodbridge and have taken 28 out to Dulles. I prefer taking I-95 to the Beltway (495) and then getting on the toll road but going anywhere this Friday, before a holiday, is tricky.

So, I would take the PWC Parkway, to Liberia, to Rt. 28. Take 28 all the way to signs for Dulles Airport. You will get on the toll road. Since you are actually going to the Airport, you won't pay a toll.

I would also come back the same way you went because by the time you are returning, if you get on I495 to hit 95 south, you will be stuck in gridlock. There are no HOV lanes on the 495 portion of your trip, so it will be a "slog" to get to the I-95 HOV lanes going south (which would be beautiful for you).

I will warn you thought, Rt. 28 is going to be HECK through various areas and you won't get any breathing room until you get off of Rt 28 and make the left turn onto Liberia.

You could always listen to traffic and take a gamble with 495 towards I95. That's probably what I would do.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:51 AM

4 posts, read 5,603 times
The Manassas route seems like it would suggest you to take 28. At that time? That is a bad idea, IMHO. What I would do in your situation, ride up 123 as far as possible, then pick either 606 or 50. But hey, I could be wrong I don't know for sure.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:37 AM

2,725 posts, read 6,273,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
So, I would take the PWC Parkway, to Liberia, to Rt. 28. Take 28 all the way to signs for Dulles Airport. You will get on the toll road. Since you are actually going to the Airport, you won't pay a toll.
This is the way I always go. I tend to avoid 95/495 as much as I can on holiday weekends. While it does put you on the toll road, you're pretty much at the airport so there are no tolls.

An alternative to getting back is to take 50 to FFX PKWY then 123, but it's a toss up.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:44 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,565,198 times
Picking up somebody from Dulles it's okay to take your time anyway. If your'e too early and the person your'e picking up is not there yet, you can't park your car in front of the terminal and wait, a cop will eventually tell you to go back around or wait in a designated waiting area

Old 06-30-2011, 07:18 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,188,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disciple6525 View Post
The Manassas route seems like it would suggest you to take 28. At that time? That is a bad idea, IMHO. What I would do in your situation, ride up 123 as far as possible, then pick either 606 or 50. But hey, I could be wrong I don't know for sure.
I have to disagree. I live off Rt. 28 and going north, the OP shouldn't have too much traffic - the majority of traffic will be going south. The most traffic they'll hit is once you get past Centreville but although it will be heavy, should move along quite fine.

I would avoid 123 and 50 for certain - 50 will be bogged down with traffic. I don't know about 123 since I don't travel it too much but 50 is heavy.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:29 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,188,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Picking up somebody from Dulles it's okay to take your time anyway. If your'e too early and the person your'e picking up is not there yet, you can't park your car in front of the terminal and wait, a cop will eventually tell you to go back around or wait in a designated waiting area
All you hit is the end of the actual toll road - the exit is for the toll road but you stay to the left to take the exit for the airport and then it's right there.

You can get there a little early and wait in the cell phone waiting area parking lot. Then your party can just give you a buzz when they're out front and you can pop over to the terminal and pick them up. Just look for the signs.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:41 AM

5,740 posts, read 8,984,262 times
What if the OP were to take Route 1 north and cut over to the GW Parkway (via Mt Vernon Memorial Hwy--Route 235E), take GWMP through Old Town and on past DCA, then take the I-66 exit west (HOV), take that past Arlington to the airport-only toll-free highway that parallels the Dulles Toll Road?

I know for a fact that the traffic from GWMP onward would be light--but I don't know about getting to GWMP from Woodbridge. It would be a toll-free ride, though.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:26 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,152,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
What if the OP were to take Route 1 north and cut over to the GW Parkway (via Mt Vernon Memorial Hwy--Route 235E), take GWMP through Old Town and on past DCA, then take the I-66 exit west (HOV), take that past Arlington to the airport-only toll-free highway that parallels the Dulles Toll Road?

I know for a fact that the traffic from GWMP onward would be light--but I don't know about getting to GWMP from Woodbridge. It would be a toll-free ride, though.
The drive up Rt. 1 from Woodbridge would be awfully tedious.

I think getting to Dulles, through Manassas on Rt 28 is going to be absolutely fine. It's coming back that same way that will be nightmarish.

Also, maybe I'm having a memory lapse here, but don't you avoid tolls if you are actually going to the airport? I can't even remember but I have paid tolls before so maybe you do pay them but they weren't even that expensive.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:41 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,565,198 times
Coming in from 28 if you take the Dulles airport exit, the only exit from there is at the end of the line at Dulles airport, but you don't pay toll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia