Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 06:55 AM

56 posts, read 196,097 times

Advertisements

Really glad to know these folks are riding the VRE trains and are watching out for us... VRE relies on undercover federal agents on trains | Kytja Weir | DC | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/2011/05/vre-relies-undercover-federal-agents-trains - broken link).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 07:29 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,785,577 times
That's pretty cool. When I ride VRE, I like to watch people and it's amazing how many people are asleep, buried in a newspaper or on their Blackberry. But every now and then I spot another "people watcher." I wonder if those people are the security folks (I always wondered if they were undercover or just bored and like to people watch like me).

Old 06-30-2011, 07:41 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,308,668 times
I think they've recruited the normal riders who ride the train to work, who are in law enforcement from multiple agencies and have asked them to help out.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:13 PM

467 posts, read 1,519,644 times
Exactly :

"Several years ago, the agency created an undercover rider program similar to the air marshal system on the nation's airlines. In exchange for free rides, the mix of armed Secret Service, FBI and Homeland Security officers agree to stay alert on their commutes and respond as needed. Every train has a designated officer, he said."

This is a really smart solution. Free train passes == instant security. This is an old trick used in apartment complexes, too.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:48 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,785,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
Exactly :

This is a really smart solution. Free train passes == instant security. This is an old trick used in apartment complexes, too.
It's similar to what my dad used to do when he managed a 7-11 store years ago... police officers got free coffee and other perks (so they would show up a lot and hang out late night... voila, free--almost--security). This was back before your Starbucks, all night fast-food places, all night gas stations, etc. I think the store hours at that time actually were 7am-11pm too! I know it wasn't open all night because I remember him getting up in the middle of the night because of break-ins.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:31 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,679,715 times
I rode the VRE for the first time back in late May. I did notice a few people scoping the place out. It might have been them. Overall though, it was a smooth ride. I hope that VRE can increase train service and expand (Haymarket, Front Royal, Culpepper, Charlottesville and Richmond) in the future.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:56 AM

191 posts, read 356,431 times
This sounds like a great idea and i know that VRE tends to be used by mostly corporate proffesionals. So i can see why they need the security, but at the same time dont more corporate proffesionals ride the metro daily?? If so is there any measures being taken to emplment a simliar security measure on the metros? Just Food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia