U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 04:55 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,170,789 times

Advertisements

The Prince of Tides - Pat Conroy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 05:46 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Besides reading I listen to audio books during my commute. My commute goes to Front Royal so it's an easy commute but still an hour each way. I just finished Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand. This was an amazing book to listen to so I imagine it reads just as well. Highly recommend.

I also recently finished Follow the River by James Alexander Thom. Very good also.

Rawhide Down: The near assassination of Ronald Reagan. Another good one to listen to.

I'm reading at home Matterhorn-A Novel of the Vietnam War by Karl Marlantes. So far a good book.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:23 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,687,166 times
I've become obesssed with Books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. They are sort of hard to explain. There is a series of stories that are interconnected and then they have some that are free standing, but they are great. Weird FBI agent, partners with old school NYC cop..and usually involve some really odd thing that happens but is explained in the end..sort of. Recommend starting at the beginning..there is a web page that gives the history of the stories.

I'm ususally the standard legal/political/thriller type, but these have me hooked.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 AM

10,596 posts, read 12,088,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
I've become obesssed with Books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. They are sort of hard to explain. There is a series of stories that are interconnected and then they have some that are free standing, but they are great. Weird FBI agent, partners with old school NYC cop..and usually involve some really odd thing that happens but is explained in the end..sort of. Recommend starting at the beginning..there is a web page that gives the history of the stories.

I'm ususally the standard legal/political/thriller type, but these have me hooked.
I just downloaded one of these on my Kindle today because it was .99 cents. Cabinet of Curiosities--got decent reviews.

I am an avid reader to put it mildly. However, I not big into the "classics" at all so I feel kind of brainless here.

The last books that stand out to me as being AWESOME were:

There's Something About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. This is written from the narrative of a mother who has a child (Kevin) and there's something just not right about him from the day he was born. The book shows how her and husband went out of their way to do right by him and deal with having a child who was basically a psychopath and the terrible aftermath of it all. Just really stuck with me.

Still Alice (can't remember the author) is another that sticks with me. Written from the perspective of an Alzheimer victim struck down in her 50s.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:15 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,687,166 times
[quote=ChristineVA;19838484]I just downloaded one of these on my Kindle today because it was .99 cents. Cabinet of Curiosities--got decent reviews.

Reading that one first might not be the best place to start - That is a Pendergast novel (the FBI) guy, a great one, but one that sort of relies on the others, or at least sets the stage for you.

The order would be Relic, Reliquary, Cabinet, Still life /crows, Brimstone, Dance of Death, Book of the Dead, wheel of darkness, Cemetery Dance, Fever dream.

They also have Ice Limit, and Thunderhead and Riptide and a couple other independent type stories now. I've heard their lastest Gideon or something is dud.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:54 PM

216 posts, read 559,213 times
I just read A Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell Loved. Highly recommend.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:36 PM

27 posts, read 63,550 times
I have read almost the entire Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell. I have the last 3 to go and hear there is another coming out soon. If you like forensic medicine and reading about places mentioned that are in our area, they are great reads

on another note, I am thinking of getting me a Kindle or similar. Can those who have one or similar tell me how they like it? I have heard about the Nook as well. Not sure what to get. thanks!

Old 07-02-2011, 09:54 PM

2,879 posts, read 6,820,114 times
I liked "Into the Wild". Read it before I saw the movie, which was also pretty good. Picked up "The Psychology of Winning" for a dime and really liked it (not a novel). Also, this paperback "The Book of Class" was about the most entertaining thing I had read in a long time. We were reading Robert Frost and Jack London at the school I was working at in the Spring. I remember thinking--I'm actually getting paid to study this? Great stuff.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:06 AM

10,596 posts, read 12,088,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnchkds1 View Post
I have read almost the entire Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell. I have the last 3 to go and hear there is another coming out soon. If you like forensic medicine and reading about places mentioned that are in our area, they are great reads

on another note, I am thinking of getting me a Kindle or similar. Can those who have one or similar tell me how they like it? I have heard about the Nook as well. Not sure what to get. thanks!
My mother got me a Kindle for my birthday. I was very resistant to it because I thought I could never give up actually having a book in my hand. After reading my first book on it, though, not a problem. I still read books--I always go to the library if I can get the book there for free, and I still enjoy books, but I enjoy my Kindle as well.

I think you will like the Nook as much although I hear they don't have as much "free" stuff as Kindle and then, of course, using Amazon is super friendly. The regular Nook is a bit bigger/heavier than the Kindle. The Nook offers a "Nook Color" version if you'd like that but the screen is not e-ink and is "backlit" just like a computer screen is; however, the glass is non-glare so it's not a problem reading on it as it would be your computer monitor.

I've really never seen anyone that dislikes either reader.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:22 AM

24,612 posts, read 6,121,159 times
Down and out in Paris and London, The road to Wigan Pier, Animal Farm all by
George Orwell. Hearts of darkness by Joseph Conrad. Someone mentioned Gone
with the wind, I found this a good read, surprisingly if I'm honest. I love Stephen
King, his stories hold me from start to finish. I'm part way through The Stand - really
good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia