U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 07:21 AM

5,738 posts, read 8,943,215 times

Advertisements

Life of Pi, by Yan Martel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 08:40 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,728,591 times
I've been very frustrated with Borders version - Kobo... would not recommend

Old 07-03-2011, 06:17 PM

389 posts, read 1,088,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Any readers out there? I'm always on the lookout for a good book and I always ask other readers about their favorite novel(s).

I'll start----'A Winter's Tale' by Mark Helprin.
Pride and Prejudice
The Man Who Was Thursday
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
A Tale Of Two Cities
The Screwtape Letters

kid's novel but I still love it
The Giver

Old 07-03-2011, 11:47 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,129,456 times
Anything by William Styron, especially Sophie's Choice
Anything by Pat Conroy, especially the Prince of Tides
Anything by Kurt Vonnegut
Look Homeward Angel, by Thomas Wolf
Anything by Tom Wolfe
Even Cowgirl's get the Blues, by Tom Robbins
Men and Angels, by Mary Gordon
Anything by Douglas Adams
Anything by Willa Cather
Ba$tard Out of Carolina, by Dorothy Allison
Anything by Flannery O'Connor
The Milagro Beanfield War, by John Nichols
Anything by John Irving
The Jungle, by Upton Sinclair
Anything by Andrew Holleran, especially In September, the Light Changes.
The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood
Anything by Joseph Heller
Anything by Hermann Hesse
The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck (I think this is the 'great American novel')
Gravity's Rainbow, by Thomas Pynchon

...thanks to all for your suggestions! Keep 'em coming.

Last edited by smithy77; 07-04-2011 at 12:16 AM..

Old 07-04-2011, 09:22 AM

278 posts, read 676,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I've been very frustrated with Borders version - Kobo... would not recommend
I second that.

I got a Kobo as a second e reader before Amazon announced Kindle would start to handle library e books within the next year. VERY unhappy with it!

I LOVE my Kindle - truth be told I rarely read DTB (Dead-Tree-Books) any longer as the Kindle just makes reading so easy.

My favorites of late are:

Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok

Washington: A Life by Chernow (Got this one on audible which works on Kindle)

The Bee Eater (Michelle Rhee) by Whitmire

The Passage by Cronin

The Hunger Games series books by Collins

Old 07-04-2011, 09:30 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,701,818 times
The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. I re-read this book because the story is so unique.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:44 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,846,462 times
For those extolling the Kindle or any e-reader. Why is it easier VS reading a regular book? Just curious. It would seem to me that reading a book would be the esiest thing possible. No batteries needed.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:29 AM

10,596 posts, read 12,092,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
For those extolling the Kindle or any e-reader. Why is it easier VS reading a regular book? Just curious. It would seem to me that reading a book would be the esiest thing possible. No batteries needed.
I wouldn't say it's easier than a book.

Here's my problem. I read a LOT. I can't always get what I need at the library. So I ended up buying a lot of books. Most of my friends are NOT readers or they don't read what I read. I had books all over my house--in the dining room, in my bedroom, in the living room, in my car. Eventually I would box them all up and either donate to the library or sell to the used book store if they wanted them. It got tiresome.

But, I was going to continue on like that had my mom not bought me a Kindle for my birthday. I will tell you, I was against it. I felt like nothing would be the same as having a good, hardcover book in my hands. But I gracefully accepted the gift and I have to say I like it AS MUCH if not slightly better than reading a book.

I do most of my reading in bed and some of the books I read were large and cumbersome (such as The Passage) and as I read for longer amounts of time, I would keep shifting the book around trying to get comfy. Or, if the book was too small, such as a paperback, I would have to lay in my bed and constantly press the pages open. None of that was a big deal of course, just a bit uncomfortable.

The Kindle kind of takes care of all that. Sure, I have to still hold it, but it is not unweildly like a large or small book. I am also of an age where I definitely need the reading glasses and the Kindle font is VERY easy on my eyes and I can adjust it. I was finding that, even with my readers, I was having problems with some books either by the type of font they used or if there was a "sheen" on the page.

Lastly, there are a lot of free offerings on Kindle. Most of them are not the greatest books, but I have stumbled upon some books that I never, ever would have picked up had I not had an e-reader. Some very enjoyable ones, that I got for free, or 99 cents. There is also a whole "indie" world of books out there that you just don't know about when you are roaming through a big box bookstore or library.

It takes some work "hunting" for unusual books on the Kindle but I find it rather enjoyable.

Last edited by ChristineVA; 07-04-2011 at 12:54 PM..

Old 07-04-2011, 12:22 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,401,645 times
Quote:
I was most definitely on your side of the fence (and quite adamantly, at that) for a long time. The reason I converted to a reader (and not one of the big clipboard-style ones, either, but a Booken Cybook Opus, which is smaller and lighter than a pocket paperback) is simply that I'm a cheapskate. I've been focusing my reading lately on novels old enough to be in the public domain that I can upload them to my reader free of charge from Project Gutenbert and similar sites/services. For newer novels, public libraries are trying some interesting things (e.g., allowing limited downloads to simulate a finite number of digital 'copies' owned by a particular library) with services like OverDrive.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:33 PM

2,680 posts, read 6,240,850 times
Quote:

YouTube - ‪It's A Book - By Lane Smith‬‏

I saw this at a Borders one day and I leafed through it. It's a kids book, but the punchline at the end was hilarious and I literally LAUGHED OUT LOUD! The vid I posted is the PG version, you'll have to look for the unedited version yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia