Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 02:23 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd share my experience of going out this morning to buy an American flag to fly tomorrow.

First stop: Target in Seven Corners, on Route 50. They had a made-ini-USA flag--for $19--but no flagpole.

So I went a few doors down to Alamo Flag, which I'd imagined to be a well-staffed, spacious shop. I was surprised to find a small shop with no one at the desk, many items without price tags, and no real organization to the merchandise.

I visited the Safeway around the corner. They had the same flag Target had--but for $8! On sale through Aug. 31 with your Safeway card. But alas, no flagpole.

My journey eneded at the Home Depot. Got a flag and flagpole (made in USA still) for $14--although it rang up as $16. (I complained at the service desk, and they fixed it.) Gonna return the Safeway flag tomorrow.

So Home Depot wins the 2011 last-minute American-flag-shopping smackdown. Hope this helps the other procrastinators out there.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 07-03-2011 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 05:31 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Should you choose to plan ahead next time, American made Flags can be bought/shipped from Annin Flagmakers.

[url=http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/american-flags-made-american-hands-13399912]American Flags by American Hands | Video - ABC News[/url]

Also, the third-floor gift shop at the National Museum of American History is a Made in American only store.I'm sure it has many smaller handheld flags.

I hope HomeDepot has American made flags. It would be a shame if you bought a China made flag.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Should you choose to plan ahead next time, American made Flags can be bought/shipped from Annin Flagmakers.

American Flags by American Hands | Video - ABC News

Also, the third-floor gift shop at the National Museum of American History is a Made in American only store.I'm sure it has many smaller handheld flags.

I hope HomeDepot has American made flags. It would be a shame if you bought a China made flag.
Read my post again--made in USA.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:00 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,884 times
You can also order flags that have flown over the Capitol (USA made)-

How To Order Flags

Old 07-03-2011, 09:07 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
I see your flag deal and raise you one star. ;-) I was in Unique Thrift on Gallows Road two weeks ago and they had a huge display of flags for sale. I went over to check them out and found one that was in the package. I pulled it out to see if it was in new condition and found not only an American flag with sewn stars but also a second flag inside - a Virginia flag that is all embroidered rather than silk-screened. They were both brand new. Total price was $7.50! The flags are made not only in the USA but handmade in Richmond, Virginia by Festival Flags. Festival Flags is the original flag company in the United States, custom made flags, American Flags, festival flags of richmond virginia. The price of the flags I got is normally about $50 each!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I see your flag deal and raise you one star. ;-) I was in Unique Thrift on Gallows Road two weeks ago and they had a huge display of flags for sale. I went over to check them out and found one that was in the package. I pulled it out to see if it was in new condition and found not only an American flag with sewn stars but also a second flag inside - a Virginia flag that is all embroidered rather than silk-screened. They were both brand new. Total price was $7.50! The flags are made not only in the USA but handmade in Richmond, Virginia by Festival Flags. Festival Flags is the original flag company in the United States, custom made flags, American Flags, festival flags of richmond virginia. The price of the flags I got is normally about $50 each!
Wow, that's a real score!

Old 07-16-2011, 05:55 PM

9 posts, read 15,256 times
awesome to see some real patriotism in NoVa. Glad I'm not the only one left! I was a bit stunned to see how few people were flying the flag this year. Back in the day seems like the flags went up on the fourth and never came down till the Labor bbq clean-up. Drive down Columbia Pike on the 4th was a real downer...not one flag for miles. But, hey look out for El Salvador independence day...and lord help us if we dare play the national anthem at the world cup games in San Diego. Check that incident out on YouTube. It is really sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia