Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
Honestly - I think I'd give my neighbor a pass considering it's the 4th of July.
If it was a sparkler in the street or a few random pops like in most places, I would agree with you. But what she's endured is ridiculous.

Most people have to go to work on July 5 and have a right to get some sleep. The right to a night's sleep supersedes someone else's right to be a loud buffoon in ostensible celebration of our freedom from the British.

Her neighbors could have shot their fireworks from sunset till 10PM--no reason they have to keep going till midnight. That's inconsiderate and dangerous.

I think home fireworks should be illegal. For all the people who know how to shoot them off safely and with consideration, there are so many others who don't. Ever year, house fires, blown-off appendages, burns, etc. That Virigina allows any random person to buy live explosives is insane.

That's why we have professional, legal, public displays of pyrotechnics.

Christine: Call the cops! The neighbors won't know it's you. There are probably hundreds of people they're disturbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 09:02 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
He was also blaring classic rock.
It's good that you see something good about your neighbor.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,081 times
Someone near our neighborhood was blasting fireworks till 12:30am last night. I could hear them over earplugs, my husband's snoring, and 3 fans! I had work early today and was trying to be in bed at 11 at the latest. Needless to say, I didn't fall asleep until well after 1. They were not professional fireworks either, and sounded very close. They were intermittent too, one bang - then 10 minutes later, two bangs...5 minutes later 4 bangs, etc etc. I was about to rip my hair out!!!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:53 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
I enjoyed all the fireworks last night especially since I dont have family around to enjoy the 4th with. I had a blast just walking down the street and seeing them gong off in the distance (professional ones) and those that individuals were setting off. My neighborhood had an area at the community clubhouse for people to set them off, I think that was a really good idea especially since our neghborhood is so densely population with townhomes, condos and single famly homes (that are pretty much in arms length of each other) it did not stop people setting them off in front of their homes though. It was nice to see everyone out and about enjoying each others company. This was my first year in this neighborhood during july 4th and I as very happy with the joy and fun the neighborhood had celebratng our freedom! Everyone was respectful and it all ended around 10:30.. On a side note I saw some guys shooting off fireworks from their deck that shot into the street, the cops drove right past as one went into the street and they did not do a thing.. I guess they had bigger fish to fry. I am not in your shoes so I cant say whether I would be upset too or not 16 years is a long time for him to be doing it without anyone stopping him, perhaps he doesnt know it bothers you? are you on speaking terms? maybe you should voce your concerns with him, I think that is the problem a lot people complan and complain but never speak to the person about what they are complaining about. Good Luck!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
I enjoyed all the fireworks last night especially since I dont have family around to enjoy the 4th with. I had a blast just walking down the street and seeing them gong off in the distance (professional ones) and those that individuals were setting off. My neighborhood had an area at the community clubhouse for people to set them off, I think that was a really good idea especially since our neghborhood is so densely population with townhomes, condos and single famly homes (that are pretty much in arms length of each other) it did not stop people setting them off in front of their homes though. It was nice to see everyone out and about enjoying each others company. This was my first year in this neighborhood during july 4th and I as very happy with the joy and fun the neighborhood had celebratng our freedom! Everyone was respectful and it all ended around 10:30.. On a side note I saw some guys shooting off fireworks from their deck that shot into the street, the cops drove right past as one went into the street and they did not do a thing.. I guess they had bigger fish to fry. I am not in your shoes so I cant say whether I would be upset too or not 16 years is a long time for him to be doing it without anyone stopping him, perhaps he doesnt know it bothers you? are you on speaking terms? maybe you should voce your concerns with him.
Teebyrd,

I'd venture to say that this did not go on well past midnight? Like Halloween, I think there is an acceptable time and duration for fireworks. I'm not against them at all. I'm against them when they go on for hours. If he'd just do it from 9-10 or even 8-10. But it goes on until midnight.

He is a neighbor that lives on a the street behind me so we never, ever see each other. I have no requirement to go over to his street. I would only recognize him because I've seen him at an HOA meeting once. It's funny because several months ago he was complaining to the HOA about his neighbor's X-mas lights and the "attraction" they cause. He wants the HOA to force them to do something about it. I think if he brings it up again I will tell him that as soon as he quicks with the illegal fireworks, I'll side with him on the X-mas display.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:14 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times
I'm all for celebrating the fourth....and if people want to go to other states to get the 'good fireworks' than so be it (I like good fireworks) and the crap they sell here is hardly worth buying. However - that being said - I can completely understand why the 'good ones' are illegal here. They can cause damage and fires. The last thing you need is to try and sleep and worry about your roof catching on fire. I get up at 3am and noise never bothers me - but someone setting off illegal fireworks near my house would.

In other areas - the fourth fireworks are displayed on the third which I think is a good idea. That enables folks to watch and celebrate and have the fourth off to have their family cookout, etc....and then get to bed early for the next day!

Old 07-05-2011, 10:22 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
Read this thread in 364 days and then call the police before the neighbor's fireworks display. Tell them that you want him cited.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:54 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
The other problem with neighborhood fireworks that go on for hours and hours is that it can be very cruel to neighborhood animals. Some pets panic when they hear fireworks.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
The other problem with neighborhood fireworks that go on for hours and hours is that it can be very cruel to neighborhood animals. Some pets panic when they hear fireworks.
Our dog definitely does. He shivers, his teeth chatter, he paces, and then he hides somewhere--and then starts pacing again. Nothing will console him.

I actually love to see the professionally done fireworks--and I just don't get it why people have to have their pathetic (but annoying) home displays.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:13 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Teebyrd,

I'd venture to say that this did not go on well past midnight? Like Halloween, I think there is an acceptable time and duration for fireworks. I'm not against them at all. I'm against them when they go on for hours. If he'd just do it from 9-10 or even 8-10. But it goes on until midnight.

He is a neighbor that lives on a the street behind me so we never, ever see each other. I have no requirement to go over to his street. I would only recognize him because I've seen him at an HOA meeting once. It's funny because several months ago he was complaining to the HOA about his neighbor's X-mas lights and the "attraction" they cause. He wants the HOA to force them to do something about it. I think if he brings it up again I will tell him that as soon as he quicks with the illegal fireworks, I'll side with him on the X-mas display.
Christine, Yeah I did mention that I was all respectfully over by 10:30.. I agree wth the past 10 thing especially on nights when most people have work early the next morning. Is there something in your HOA rules about the fireworks or the christmas lights? I would venture to say something is mentioned in them somewhere that could point to both of those issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia