U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:48 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,944,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Will this area ever get away from the brick, Georgian/Colonial McMansion style that seems to charactererize just about every NoVA SFH built since the early '90's?
No .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 12:31 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,396,229 times
Hmm... at least out here in the outer 'burbs, the faux Colonial McMansions seem to be outnumbered by the.. um.. extreme-late-20th-c. 'eclectic' (that's such a kind modifier, IMO) ones - you know, lots of random little peaked gables and stuff. But, yes, they are brick. I did finally see an entire neighborhood of the infamous vinyl-sided McMansions after venturing out to the Dulles area the other night to dine at the new Generous George's (not worth it, BTW).

I actually don't mind the early 1980s pseudo Colonials on lots large enough to contain them. Maybe that's because I spent part of my childhood growing up in one (in the Chicago suburbs).

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 07-05-2011 at 12:43 PM..

Old 07-05-2011, 12:39 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,651,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Hmm... at least out here in the outer 'burbs, the faux Colonial McMansions seem to be outnumbered by the faux 'eclectic'
Like "wait, shouldn't this belong to one of Louis XIV's ministers" that kind of eclectic?

Old 07-05-2011, 12:44 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,396,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Like "wait, shouldn't this belong to one of Louis XIV's ministers" that kind of eclectic?
Yes, yes - *exactly* that kind of eclectic.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:02 PM

660 posts, read 1,497,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Oh man, those crack me up. It's like some first year architecture student was looking through a book of architectural features and just added each one he or she liked. No editing process whatsoever. I keep waiting to see my "dream house" with an onion dome, a functionless gate not attached to an actual fence, and a minaret for good measure.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:13 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,974,364 times
How about more square shaped contemporaries with lots of glass, wood, and/or cement? What's funny is the high end modern furniture you see advertised in the New York Times and upscale magazines seems to fit better with that style than in a Georgian style McMansion. Granted they may be pitching that toward the Manhattan high-rise market. Or are a lot of homeowners here mixing traditional exteriors with modern interiors?

Old 07-06-2011, 01:34 PM

564 posts, read 1,271,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
How about more square shaped contemporaries with lots of glass, wood, and/or cement? What's funny is the high end modern furniture you see advertised in the New York Times and upscale magazines seems to fit better with that style than in a Georgian style McMansion. Granted they may be pitching that toward the Manhattan high-rise market. Or are a lot of homeowners here mixing traditional exteriors with modern interiors?
I've seen some oddly modern stuff inside some of those McMansions.

How about this for a square-shaped contemporary? You can be modern and hip while still being prepared for the apocalypse.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:53 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,974,364 times
For being a fairly well heeled and progressive area politically we seem awfully conservative in our preferences for food, clothing, and shelter. Not much "cutting edge" about NoVA. Is that its charm?

Old 07-06-2011, 02:00 PM

5,735 posts, read 8,919,318 times
I love the ACTUAL Colonials, Capes, and bungalows built before 1945 or so. The stuff they're calling that now doesn't even resemble the real thing.

But a lot of that is due to the cheapness of the builders. We visited a friend in the Lower Greenville area of Dallas recently; the newer houses there are built to blend right in with the older ones, so that you can hardly tell they're new. Really nice masonry work, tasteful scale--why can't they do that here?

As to stucco: Check out this one -- what I think is a beautiful Spanish Colonial in the Cherrydale section of N. Arlington. And then rotate the Streetview 180 degrees to see the beautiful stucco foursquare right across from it.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:32 PM

393 posts, read 1,088,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfs View Post
It'd be great to see some "normal" sized SFHs in the area, but the land is too valuable so they mostly build THs or the McMansion.
I've been hoping for "normal' sized homes in the area for years. Even the townhouses are becoming too big for my taste. I've given up. There's nothing homey or cozy about the homes built in this area since the mid-80s. And forget getting any kind of decent yard or distance between you and your neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia