Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:55 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times

Advertisements

Will this area ever get away from the brick, Georgian/Colonial McMansion style that seems to charactererize just about every NoVA SFH built since the early '90's? Will they eventually look outdated (I kind of think they already do). Any predictions on what will replace them or will they still be building them all that way 100 years from now? Is anything new starting to emerge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 08:17 AM

660 posts, read 1,704,676 times
If they do look outdated, it'll be because the poor quality of their construction stands in contrast to all the 19th and early to mid 20th century brick Georgian buildings in VA and MD. I don't think those look outdated after 150 years, so I'm not sure that the newer ones will look outdated, either.

That said, gigantic versions of Craftsman-style homes seem to be increasingly popular here, at least in McLean and N. Arlington tear-downs. Just as long as nobody starts building stucco houses here - I think they look great surrounded by jacarandas and the ocean, but they look pretty bizarre next to a bunch of maples, oaks and magnolias.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:48 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I'd like to see a completely new and different look, not just a return to something done before. Something that plays with light, since we seem to be able to do all sorts of things with glass now. Maybe something almost Suessian, perhaps, or a design inspired by the Emerald City in the Wizard of Oz movie. (Or, Munchkinland for that matter--that could be sort of an interesting organic look for a town center.) If we're going to play with light, we can add the colors of sea glass (translucent greens, purples, blues, pinks). One house like that might look strange, but a whole street like that could be stunning. I'd buy a house like that. (Of course, I'm not sure if everyone else would--and there you see the challenge. It has to bea sure sell.)

Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
If they do look outdated, it'll be because the poor quality of their construction stands in contrast to all the 19th and early to mid 20th century brick Georgian buildings in VA and MD. I don't think those look outdated after 150 years, so I'm not sure that the newer ones will look outdated, either.

That said, gigantic versions of Craftsman-style homes seem to be increasingly popular here, at least in McLean and N. Arlington tear-downs. Just as long as nobody starts building stucco houses here - I think they look great surrounded by jacarandas and the ocean, but they look pretty bizarre next to a bunch of maples, oaks and magnolias.
Brambleton has one section that has some stucco/colonial single-family homes (example). The more adventurous looks are in the new townhome models (example | example)

Old 07-05-2011, 09:58 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
If they do look outdated, it'll be because the poor quality of their construction stands in contrast to all the 19th and early to mid 20th century brick Georgian buildings in VA and MD. I don't think those look outdated after 150 years, so I'm not sure that the newer ones will look outdated, either..
IIUC they continue to be built like that precisely in order to avoid looking dated the way every other style around here tends to. Obviously someone had to go first and there may have been a reason it happened with neo georgian yet not with victoran, craftsman, modern, etc, etc.

Whether that same dynamic holds with very large houses is anyone's guess I suppose.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:05 AM

564 posts, read 1,493,241 times
I'd like to see brick homes built with actual structural brick, not this junk with a brick facade on the front, siding on the other three sides. That ain't a brick home. I like the look of the flemish bond myself. If you know anything about brick masonry, it's easy to see which homes are true brick homes vs. just a facade.

I don't mind the McMansions so much as I do the sea of townhomes. They all end up looking the same, so boring. It'd be great to see some "normal" sized SFHs in the area, but the land is too valuable so they mostly build THs or the McMansion.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfs View Post
I don't mind the McMansions so much as I do the sea of townhomes.
the rigidity of 'it MUST be Georgian" seems even more intense for TH's, perhaps because the fears of looking dated are more severe for the TH's than for SFH's.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Brambleton has one section that has some stucco/colonial single-family homes (example). The more adventurous looks are in the new townhome models (example | example)
I love stucco homes. I didn't realize how much I missed them until you posted those pictures. They just look so clean and fresh (and the upkeep is zero--my parents haven't painted their house once in the 30 years they've lived there, and it still looks nice. The only thing that needs painted is the wood trim).

I love the look of brick (partially because I never saw it growing up--not very earthquake proof!), but can't stand the painted brick you see in so many older neighborhoods.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:27 AM

564 posts, read 1,493,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
the rigidity of 'it MUST be Georgian" seems even more intense for TH's, perhaps because the fears of looking dated are more severe for the TH's than for SFH's.

Good point, I also figure that style is probably pretty low-maintenance for communities with condo-type ownership, which keeps the fees down. Nothing really to paint, and they probably cap all the wood sills and whatnot with vinyl, what else is there to do?

I do like the few craftsman style homes I've seen pop up around here. That style seems to fit in fairly well here, whers stuff like stucco I agree looks terrible in this area as mentioned above.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:38 AM

DW and I were taking a walk near Prosperity the other night, and saw this HUGE (mcmansion sized) craftsman style. "Whats a country inn doing here?" "I wonder how much a room for the night would be, and do they serve breakfast?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia