U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 03:47 PM

23,563 posts, read 33,282,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHokie View Post
Yikes. I would expect that scenario in DC or PG county but not NoVA. Sad state of affairs
I went to T.C. Williams HS in Alexandria. NoVA is not immune to these issues in the least. Just as I've said in other threads I believe you can get a quality education in any HS in Northern VA. If you got even a sense of what people in Kentucky and DC proper call "quality K-12 education" you'd be thankful to be in any HS in NoVA.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 03:48 PM

23,563 posts, read 33,282,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Possibly because of the demographics, in general, of the families which feed into the schools?
I think you have it here.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:57 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,684,649 times
Wow you guys have no idea what you're talking about.

Please stop generalizing the whole city of Manassas. Generally speaking, west of Sudley road is the clean part of Manassas and the east side of Sudley road is the more rundown part.

Second off, Manassas is diverse. If you want to surround yourself with white people, then I suggest you move out to Gainesville or Haymarket.

I do not know about Manassas City Schools because I attended PWCS but i'm sure these posts are exaggerated. The PWC line is like .1 mile from that subdivision if you wanted to consider PWCS. As some posters have said, teachers cannot make students learn. I went to Stonewall Jackson High School in PWC and the school was very diverse. I truly believe that I got an elite education too (I honestly believe my high school was more rigorous than GMU). However, I challenged myself with advanced classes and was studious.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:35 PM

421 posts, read 818,789 times
My son went to Osbourn HS and is now a Navy nuke. Then again, my son was never one to expect anybody to lead him through life by the hand. Ultimately, you only get out of school what you are willing to put in to it. That goes for all schools, racially diverse or not.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:39 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,860,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
They don't take a proactive approach with the students. Staff are warned about filing discipline reports on AA students because there are watchdog groups threatening to sue them (again) for having a disproportionate amount of discipline referrals on them. Administrators just hide in their offices and hope nothing bad happens. When it does (not if), the teacher takes a lot of the blame. Latino gang members are also a big problem, and many of them are a year or two older than the other kids in their class. They don't start kindergarten until age 6 in El Salvador. The principal just retired (thank God), and after paying a consulting firm to do a nationwide search for his replacement--they will likely select someone from a similar underachieving school, nearby, who already has some type of relationship with board members.

I just checked. They named the Principal of Clarke County High School, as the new principal. A GMU grad. Sounds like more mediocrity to me.

So, GMU equals "mediocrity"?

LOL

Old 07-05-2011, 06:48 PM

6,553 posts, read 10,840,172 times
Quote:
Biased, because I have actually been in the hallways between classes and in the classrooms--as recently as 2009. My parents own a house in the development in question. I know those crappy neighborhoods in Manassas, all too well. GTS, Bristoe Station, Liberia Rd., Brentwood Apartments, Georgian Hamlet....nasty, nasty, nasty----the only word they know is "welfare check".

You always attempt to attack the messenger on this issue, BF, but there are always a half dozen to a dozen other posters, who back up what I say. When was the last time you were in one of those schools?

I have a niece at Metz who is my God child. I'm there often. I see good kids, surly kids, goofy kid and every other kind when I go there. Same as I've seen in FX, Stafford, Fauquier and other school systems. And yes, I've been in all these.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:51 PM

6,553 posts, read 10,840,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
So, GMU equals "mediocrity"?

LOL

His post regarding this should tell you all you need to know about this poster and their opinions.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:13 PM

2,879 posts, read 6,819,490 times
GMU is a B class national university. It's common knowledge. It has managed to improve from the days when it hosted the students, whose parents didn't feel they could make it on their own. Now there are plenty of students, whose families simply can't afford to send them away to school.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:18 PM

8,106 posts, read 12,644,680 times
Quote:
Biased, because I have actually been in the hallways between classes and in the classrooms--as recently as 2009.
Did you go to school there? If so, did you, by your standards, turn out "ok"?

Old 07-05-2011, 08:03 PM

2,879 posts, read 6,819,490 times
Degreed Substitute Teacher and former school bus driver. I might ad that the charter high school I taught Math(s) at in the Spring, located across the street from an 800 space mobile home park and sharing the same parking lot with "Shooter's World," provided me with a much more professional and rewarding work environment--with a student population less than 20% white. Per student expenditures are less than 40% of what they are in Manassas; 5500 v. 13000. That must not matter in the land of "non-essential workers" and government printing presses. We've been through this before on this forum, and they make it sound like I am the only one negative on MPS. The State of Virginia is in agreement with me; just read the ratings. Failing, under-performing, not meeting expectations..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia