U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 10:56 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,313,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfs View Post
As a young kid of maybe 5 or 6, I had it in my head that if someone was "fired" from their job, that it meant they would be dismissed by being set on fire. I remember my dad coming home a couple of times, saying to my mom "so and so got fired today". That made me nervous. I was all upset like "uh oh, I sure hope they don't fire Dad!!"
I'd bet that's not so uncommon. One morning in Kindergarten, I and several others were enjoying "block time", i.e., playing with a set of large (at least to a 5-year old) wooden blocks and planks when the suggestion was made and carried out to construct a fireplace so that we could indeed "fire" people. To my understanding, that wasn't really the way you did it, but the others seemed all on board, and soon enough poor Patty Hanson was standing in the middle of our little edifice, and to everyone's satisfaction, she was fired. Okay, on to "crayon time"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
When I was a child during the very early days of Vietnam (late 1950's), the newscasters would talk about Vietcong "guerillas" attacking whomever. I really thought we were fighting gorillas.
Might have been avoided had you, no doubt against parental wishes, been a regular reader of MAD Magazine. They had a cartoon at about that time including a newspaper headlined "Guerillas Attack on Plain of Jars". Beneath it was a full-page photo of gorillas with sticks racing angrily toward the viewer across a tightly-packed matrix of empty mayonaise jars.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy112 View Post
When I was a kid, I thought a bank would keep the actual money you deposited in a special box and that everyone who used the bank had their own "box."
That's how some people still see Social Security...

Old 07-16-2011, 12:00 PM

4,231 posts, read 7,240,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
It's the length of a standard marathon. The "13.1" stickers you often see around here are for half-marathons.

Often found on the same cars as those with OBX stickers.
Thanks for the explanation. Even when I was younger and into athletics long distance running was not my forte.

GL2

Old 07-17-2011, 11:20 AM

74 posts, read 201,096 times
I was in my early 20's before I figured out that New England isn't a state! I guess that's why I could never find it on a map.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:13 AM

4,231 posts, read 7,240,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaElla View Post
I was in my early 20's before I figured out that New England isn't a state! I guess that's why I could never find it on a map.
I live in NE (Nebraska). It amazes me how many people don't realize NE is not New England when used in an address.
GL2

Old 07-26-2011, 09:03 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,950,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy112 View Post
When I was a kid, I thought a bank would keep the actual money you deposited in a special box and that everyone who used the bank had their own "box." Once I got a few $2 bills for my birthday and deposited them into my savings account. I was devastated to learn later that I would not be getting them back!
For a while as a child I thought music groups drove around to radio stations and performed live. I thought that if you could find out in advance when a song would be on, you could drive to the station and meet the group. (Turned out that only happens on The Brady Bunch .)

Old 08-01-2011, 09:46 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,770,351 times
I suppose I'll be speaking for some people once they figure this out.

There are some people in the DC area that call the place the DMV (DC, Maryland Virginia). Little do they realize that there is an already well-known acroynm for DMV which stands for the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia