Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:54 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,788,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post

Please don't think that your one child's experience automatically makes your perspective the ultimate right answer for parenting in NoVA. It's fine that you like it here, but that doesn't make it the right place for ALL people who plan to have children. My child graduated from the same high school as your "DD" (which you bring up ALL THE TIME, by the way), but that does not mean we think NOVA is the best place for families. As a mom and military spouse, my experience here in NoVA was TERRIBLE.

What about the VA Tech shooter, or the several would-be terrorists who are products of NoVA living (one a white Oakton HS grad)?
You have a valid point about one person's experience... but it doesn't make the opposite true either. Using the same argument, I could point out the Columbine shooters where from Colorado (a place mentioned earlier as a better place than here). No place is perfect and no place is perfect for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 PM

65 posts, read 120,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
You have a valid point about one person's experience... but it doesn't make the opposite true either. Using the same argument, I could point out the Columbine shooters where from Colorado (a place mentioned earlier as a better place than here). No place is perfect and no place is perfect for everyone.
Just to straighten out the facts-nobody said Colorado was better than the DC area, we said people that live there have little reason to come here, unless they need a job.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:33 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,529,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
That's not what I was saying. The division would be choosing a city because a job is there vs. choosing a city because a lifestyle is there. Both choices are practical in their own way--it just depends on what your priorities are. And both choices attract dreamers--it just depends on what your dreams focus on.
I think the implication that folks with financial issues are in that boat because they chose to "consume" with their lifestyle is, on the whole, a false one.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:36 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,184,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
I don't have time to read through the whole thread (plan to do so later) so maybe this has been said but one thing forcing many people to stay put is an inability to sell their houses where they currently are because of the poor real estate markets.
Nope, you're the first. Interesting observation.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:37 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,788,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenpilot View Post
Just to straighten out the facts-nobody said Colorado was better than the DC area, we said people that live there have little reason to come here, unless they need a job.
Okay... cool. My misunderstanding.

Colorado is a nice place though... been there too (although I never lived there).

Old 07-08-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post

Please don't think that your one child's experience automatically makes your perspective the ultimate right answer for parenting in NoVA. It's fine that you like it here, but that doesn't make it the right place for ALL people who plan to have children. My child graduated from the same high school as your "DD" (which you bring up ALL THE TIME, by the way), but that does not mean we think NOVA is the best place for families. As a mom and military spouse, my experience here in NoVA was TERRIBLE.

What about the VA Tech shooter, or the several would-be terrorists who are products of NoVA living (one a white Oakton HS grad)?

I didnt say NOVA is the right place for ALL children. I am extremely wary of the words "all" "always" "none" and "never". I was responding to what I read as the claim that this is a terrible place to raise children.

Personally I think the brooklyn of my youth was a much better place to raise children, but I dont expect many people to share that belief.

And I only mention the High School that must Not Be Named when someone else mentions it, or its relevant to the conversation.

What about the VA tech shooter? That was a tragedy. There have been tragedies in other parts of the country as well. When the shooting at Columbine occured, folks tried to address issues from gun control to video gaming to teasing and bullying. I dont recall anyone blaming Colorado.

As for Islamist terrorists, are you seriously suggesting that is a result of high traffic and social pressures in NoVa? really?

Old 07-08-2011, 12:53 PM

like I said, I once lived in a city I hated. The day, the DAY i found out I was being transferred to Baltimore, I mellowed out about the city I was leaving, completely. I can't imagine retaining that kind of bitterness AFTER moving. I am really sorry anyone had such a bad experience that they can't let go even after they have gotten to where they want to be.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:38 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,184,179 times
I think a good indicator that this is an attractive place to live are the number of kids growing up around here who choose to stay in the area. My grown kids love it here and wouldn't live anywhere else. Part of the reason is there are actually jobs here for them but they also really enjoy the social scene as well as all the stuff they can do on their off-hours. I don't see many of their friends moving away either. In fact some friends they met in college from other areas have actually chosen to move here.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:10 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,647,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
....I can't imagine retaining that kind of bitterness AFTER moving. I am really sorry anyone had such a bad experience that they can't let go even after they have gotten to where they want to be.

This has always baffled me too....and there are several of these folks on here.

For Gawd's sake, MOVE ON, the trauma is OVER!

FUHGETABOUTIT....and if you can't, seek counseling or something!

Old 07-08-2011, 02:25 PM

738 posts, read 2,952,292 times
Wow!! I cant believe when I opened this thread to respond in the morning there was only one response, then I popped back on CD this afternoon to find that it's now 11 pages!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia