U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 03:21 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,945,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I think a good indicator that this is an attractive place to live are the number of kids growing up around here who choose to stay in the area. My grown kids love it here and wouldn't live anywhere else. Part of the reason is there are actually jobs here for them but they also really enjoy the social scene as well as all the stuff they can do on their off-hours. I don't see many of their friends moving away either. In fact some friends they met in college from other areas have actually chosen to move here.
Same here. My children went to college in another part of the country, and lived in several other areas for jobs, but they all couldn't wait to get back here and are now established permanently here. Two are married and their spouses who grew up in other parts of the country wanted to live here too. They also have a number of college friends who sought jobs here and are enjoying living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
Wow!! I cant believe when I opened this thread to respond in the morning there was only one response, then I popped back on CD this afternoon to find that it's now 11 pages!!
Yeah really, I've only had time to read the first couple and last couple of pages and am very curious to see what's in between !

Old 07-08-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
This has always baffled me too....and there are several of these folks on here.

For Gawd's sake, MOVE ON, the trauma is OVER!

FUHGETABOUTIT....and if you can't, seek counseling or something!
Yes, please, get a life!

Old 07-08-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I don't know anyone who moved here because they thought DC would be a cool place to live.
I did!

Old 07-09-2011, 10:16 AM

278 posts, read 675,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenpilot View Post
Second of all, if this is such a great place to live, what is the explanation for people not leaving places like San Diego, Colorado Springs, etc. for this area?
I am leaving San Diego to move there. And the funny thing is I'm running into a lot of people doing the same! I just dropped off stuff at a Goodwill - and the guy who unloaded my car said his sister just moved to NOVA and loves it.

As for an explanation - we ARE leaving places like San Diego to live there!

And I should point out I decided to move to the DC area BEFORE I got a job - then I focused and got a job - doing it all cross country from a distance. I do work in a field where there are few openings and it is very specific skills and abilities needed so it's not entry level or generic in any way.

So why do I want to live here? (I am actually living in MD - but the DMV area and I looked at NOVA - came down to where I found housing that worked for me!)
* Weather - I'm tired of same thing every day with occasional rain and evacuation due to wildfires
* Sense of community and people - CA is very anonymous - I guess some areas of DMV can be but that's not my exp. I've been online with different groups (city data included!) and I've been out 3 times since Jan and I already have many people I know and connections. IMHO (and I've been in San Diego 23 years) Southern Californians are friendly on surface but it's only surface - otherwise they seem to prefer a very insular life. Very tought to make friends here. And I am outgoing and an extrovert.
* Arts/Culture/History - there is no way to compare somewhere like San Diego to DMV when it comes to this. No way. I am not an outdoors person - my daughter and I both are more into things like history than we are surfing. So SoCal is not the best fit for us
* Schools - again no contest.
* CA budget issues - It is bad. REALLY bad. This affects everything - increasing costs, decreasing services, schools are going downhill.
* It is GREEN there. I'm tired of living in brown. That is personal preference only but my idea of beautiful is not palm trees and sand. I like lush green forests, huge trees that make you feel in awe, a variety of architecture
* Job market is far far better. Housing is comparable in many ways. COL is really very close. I'm paying LESS to rent in the DMV area than San Diego -- in a comparable area. NOVA is slightly more expensive but not hugely so. However that is specific to my wants - I want a condo or TH. I don't want a SFH. There are few TH in San Diego...so for my money I got the place I wanted (2 bdr TH). I think folks who want a huge SFH and big yard and such will see this differently. I want a smaller TH without a yard I have to deal with in a great community with a sense of belonging.
* What people don't seem to realize is that the actual salary you would make in San Diego is not even remotely comparable in many cases to what you can make in the DMV area. I have friends that moved to the DMV area that were making $34K here and are making $62K in DMV. It's not only COL it's how well the salaries match up with that. At least in SoCal. That is kind of hidden but a major factor!

What I see (and I talk to people frequently) is that many people want to come to CA that are young, either fresh out of bachelors degree or fairly unskilled. The people I meet moving from West to East Coast right now (and there are more of them currently amongst my friends and acquaints) are far more highly educated, with skills and abilities that allow them to secure very good jobs, in 30's and 40's, and very aware of the benefits of living there. YMMV.

P.S. Go look at those who are wanting to move to San Diego on that forum. The majority either don't have jobs and want to live the CA dream (which does not exist anymore) or are fresh out of school and want to live in a fun place by beaches and such. There are very few that are posting who have 15+ years (like me) in the job who have developed specific skilks and abilities that make you attractive to an employer. Plus many post they have family/friends who will put them up. I rarely see that on this board - people here want to know where to buy or rent - what area and all that. They aren't moving in with family to get on their feet - they are already on their feet.

My advice to anyone wanting to move to CA is don't. UNLESS you have family, roots and resources and have a good job (nothing public - big layoff's are coming) that you are sure of. Also be aware that the COl compared to salary is very different - you won't make nearly as much and your costs are not going to go down by moving here. Traffic is not different from DMV - San Diego is better than LA but everyone still has to deal with it.

Last edited by JosephineBeth; 07-09-2011 at 10:52 AM..

Old 07-09-2011, 11:01 AM

278 posts, read 675,386 times
Here are examples:

Brand new degree - wants to know about field:

Healthcare Administration jobs

High school graduate looking for a job:

What's the job market in SD like?

Moving with a family (teen is asking about jobs):

Considering moving to San Diego - (Good high schools near University Heights, Golden Hills, etc.) / (Point Loma High?)

There are some other posts from people who got jobs as well - and several who work from home (don't know what they do). If you can port your job and like the weather and beaches and stuff San Diego will do nicely.

Just wanted to give some examples.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:33 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,977,914 times
Here's something I see on California and other Western state forums that I never see here:

"Store X announced they were hiring (insert crappy job here) and received 1,000 applications within the first two hours".

A lot of people in this area have no concept of how bad the job situation is in other parts ofthe country compared to this area.

Glad to hear you're one of the smart ones who's figured this out. Always happy to hear about Californians moving in.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 07-09-2011 at 12:42 PM..

Old 07-09-2011, 04:07 PM
LDH

168 posts, read 519,847 times
Native Californian here, living in sunny CA. Visited VA (and surrounding states) when I went on a history tour with my daughter's 8th grade class, and planned a trip for the rest of my family to come there that same year. Have been back 4 more times because we fell in love with the state. Hubby and I have decided we love the state so much we want to grow old there. Hoping I can get a transfer with my government job and hubby will get a job once he retires from the military.

By the way, I have three former co-workers who decided to take job transfers in VA after I told them how great it was there. I still ask them if they are glad they made the move and each one of them said they would never come back to California.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:47 PM

2,669 posts, read 4,510,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
I did!
me too--and a lot of people who apply to work with us state that as a reason

Old 07-09-2011, 07:29 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,074,163 times
Dang! I wanted to respond yesterday when this thread was 2 pages but now...10 pages later...I'm always late!

I moved down here not for a job, but my fiance lived here and I lived in the Philadelphia area while we dated. After our wedding in PA, and after the honeymoon, I was SO excited to move down here. First - I'd get away from the craziness that I thought was Delaware County, and second, I'd move away from my parents. Which isn't a bad thing, they're the best people in the world, but I just needed space and "absence makes the heart grow fonder."

I was psyched to move here since I visited him countless times (ah, the joys of long-distance relationships) and I LOVED Manassas and Fairfax. I didn't have a job right away, it only took 6 months to finally get a full time job. I got a part time job at a store close to our apartment, but the whole time I loved it. I started meeting people that were very nice and we're still friends.

After I got my (current) job, I met even more wonderful people. Not any of them are arrogant. I really do like it here - I mean my favorite place to live would probably be Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands... but I do like it. I miss Philly though, and my husband wants to move to Delaware in the next 5 years...and I can say for a fact that I will really miss it here.

Sorry this is so long! Very interesting thread though, with a lot of good points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia