U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:55 AM

8,772 posts, read 10,674,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
We eat, drive cars, and need plumbers and other service providers like everywhere else. There are plenty of opportunities outside the specialized government arena.

A lot of those kinds of jobs, even skilled ones, are filled by immigrants here. And I suspect licensed tradesmen, etc, have their own sources for job info that are better than this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I'd buy that if I saw postings that said in passing "I'm going to be looking for a job" when asking about other things, but just about every posting on here is "I just got a job offer" or "my husband just got a job offer', "please tell me about.......". We are clearly not a destination of residential choice.

As to the point that jobs here are specialized my response would be we're not robots. We eat, drive cars, and need plumbers and other service providers like everywhere else. There are plenty of opportunities outside the specialized government arena.
My DD is entering Arch school this fall, and will be looking for arch internships for next summer. It would be great if she could get one here. To the extent an internet message board is a good way to look, I would point her to Archinect, not City Data.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I guess they'd rather stay in place, starve, and whine. People are irrational.

I dont think so. Theres quite a bit of moving around the country for jobs. Its NOT however, necessarily a good idea for an unemployed person to move from an area where they have a support network, to someplace where they know no one, without a job in hand, especially a high COL area.

this seems to be a meme among the "its really structural employment" "they are all lazy bums on UI". Im pretty sure its wrong. I also suspect we cant address without going far off topic for this forum though.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:12 AM

more job threads on the DC forum

entry-level social work jobs

Tell me about Temp Jobs in DC?

Job hunting in DC from cross country? Hints?

Can a Felon get a job in DC ?

Old 07-08-2011, 09:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,831,493 times
Quote:
We have jobs we need to fill. People elsewhere need jobs. I also don't recall too many posters inquiring about jobs being treated like they would on the Colorado or California forums. We're generally helpful to the few inquirers we get.
I agree that we're generally helpful to people, but I DON'T agree with the bit about having jobs we need to fill. Not the sort of jobs that would hire people who just pack up a car and move to a new city to find a job.

Most of the jobs here require degrees/certifications, special skills, or clearances. The hiring process can often take a long time. The "unskilled" jobs that hire people within a few weeks of an interview are being filled by spouses and family members who accompany someone moving here, as well as by people who already live here.

I don't see any evidence that there are lots of entry level or "unskilled" jobs going unfilled, so I make it a point to suggest people think twice before moving here without a job.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:20 AM

and here in the NoVa forum

Help finding a teaching job

IT Jobs in Loundon County

Are there Special Education positions in Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria or Falls Church?

Good Temp/Recruiter Agencies in NoVa

Where to look for a job in Northern Virginia?

Old 07-08-2011, 09:22 AM

I agree, and we also get a good number of posts like that here on the Nova forum. Maybe not dozens every day, but I'll bet I can provide at least 20 or so threads with inquiries if you need evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post

Old 07-08-2011, 09:25 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,016,057 times
Yeah i'm sure you'll find a few but go check out some of the others and you'll see a lot more.

What's interesting is that we are a major tourist destination. In most cases, other than perhaps Disney World, that generally familiarizes and attracts people to relocate there (Williamsburg's a good example). That's one reason I moved here. I applied with my company to transfer partly because I'd visited and seen what a nice place it is. One drive down the GW Parkway on a tour bus did the trick.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenpilot View Post
First of all, city data doesn't have enough of an impact to steer people to or from a certain area, no matter how much some posters here would like to think. Yes, maybe a small amount of individuals make their decisions based on the opinions found here, but that's definitely the minority.

I totally agree! I think the number of people who decide to move to a city based solely on city-data comments is extremely small.

Nevertheless, it's good not to give even the slightest amount of encouragement to that extremely small number of people, because if they move here and don't find job, they will come on this forum and make a lot of noise about how it's all our fault that they moved here. And, while I guess I could say "oh well" and "who gives a damn" it can get annoying, so why not avoid the situation in the first place by telling people to not move here unless they already have a job?

Old 07-08-2011, 09:36 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,016,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I totally agree! I think the number of people who decide to move to a city based solely on city-data comments is extremely small.

Nevertheless, it's good not to give even the slightest amount of encouragement to that extremely small number of people, because if they move here and don't find job, they will come on this forum and make a lot of noise about how it's all our fault that they moved here. And, while I guess I could say "oh well" and "who gives a damn" it can get annoying, so why not avoid the situation in the first place by telling people to not move here unless they already have a job?
I don't think I'd advise anyone to move anywhere without a job but I would encourage someone to start looking for a job here while still living somewhere else. However, I'm just not seeing that many inquiries like that for the size of this job market. Don't hate me because I like the idea of living in a sought-after place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia