U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:01 AM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,815 posts, read 10,717,818 times
Reputation: 2523

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I don't know anyone who moved here because they thought DC would be a cool place to live. I know a ton of people who got job offers they couldn't refuse from their company, and decided to "suck it up" for a few years and focus on building their careers and gaining the experiences they needed to move on to bigger and better things in their home states or somewhere better to raise a family. I know even more people who got job offers, came to visit, and turned it down. Most recently a family friend in Lancaster had an offer in Arlington. Nearly twice the salary, believe it or not...but he had no desire to raise his daughter in this environment.

I don't like NoVA--the weather's horrid in my opinion (I don't go outside half the year thanks to humidity or slushy nasty cold), the bugs are bad, the traffic's bad (took me TWO HOURS to go from Edsall Road to Shirlington on Wednesday at 2:00--so I don't buy that it's only the long distance commutes that are tough!), the stress levels are high...but with degrees in IT this is the place to be until our resumes are impressive enough to garner job opportunities in places we want to be.

When we start thinking about kids in a couple years, we'll be out of here if possible. I don't think this is an ideal place to raise children, despite all the opportunities here. I'd rather go someplace more relaxed and "down to earth", like the areas my husband and I grew up in (small so cal beach town and podunk baltimore county).

Wow, this puts me back in the "proNoVa" camp. When I moved here I had a choice of a job here on one in Baltimore. I took into account COL, salary, differences between the jobs etc. I certainly didnt come here cause it was the only choice.

1 . Winter weather - i dont want to be mean to my southern friends, but thats a whimpy complaint. Ive lived in Boston. The winters here are generally mild
2. Summer weather - well yeah. but not going out during July and August? my DW and i have just had evening walk after evening walk this week- each night was lovely. (And its slightly more humid than baltimore cty, but not terribly different)
3. Bugs - use bug spray. We manage in the woods in summer. Again not really different from baltimore
4. traffic - well yeah. Thats why i suggest everyone look for transit, walkable, etc. That said, its not consistently that bad.
5. Stress - you have to CHOOSE to not get stressed
6. kids - this is real personal. I would suggest you might consider that you are addressing folks who have raised kids here, and can see how they turned out. Im not sure I would choose any other path than we took, seeing how wonderful my DD is. I dont know how much of that is NoVa, but I cant say I regret it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 26,920,267 times
Reputation: 42861
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post

This must be a hot topic. Six pages of posts so far!
Meh, more like lukewarm. But things have been slow lately so it'll do until something genuinely hot comes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Infernuan
1,367 posts, read 1,577,520 times
Reputation: 1436
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I don't know anyone who moved here because they thought DC would be a cool place to live. I know a ton of people who got job offers they couldn't refuse from their company, and decided to "suck it up" for a few years and focus on building their careers and gaining the experiences they needed to move on to bigger and better things in their home states or somewhere better to raise a family. I know even more people who got job offers, came to visit, and turned it down. Most recently a family friend in Lancaster had an offer in Arlington. Nearly twice the salary, believe it or not...but he had no desire to raise his daughter in this environment.

I don't like NoVA--the weather's horrid in my opinion (I don't go outside half the year thanks to humidity or slushy nasty cold), the bugs are bad, the traffic's bad (took me TWO HOURS to go from Edsall Road to Shirlington on Wednesday at 2:00--so I don't buy that it's only the long distance commutes that are tough!), the stress levels are high...but with degrees in IT this is the place to be until our resumes are impressive enough to garner job opportunities in places we want to be.

When we start thinking about kids in a couple years, we'll be out of here if possible. I don't think this is an ideal place to raise children, despite all the opportunities here. I'd rather go someplace more relaxed and "down to earth", like the areas my husband and I grew up in (small so cal beach town and podunk baltimore county).
All good points. The DC/NOVA area is good as far as the job market is concerned. And the other points about traffic, weather, etc. are spot on.

My goal is to move to Michigan. Suburban Oakland County just isn't as crazy as here. Frankly, that is all I care about at this point because living here with the stress, isolation (yes, it is possible to be isolated even in an area like this!), and the absolutely horrendous traffic is a detriment to my physical and mental health. When the economy improves that is the plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:04 AM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,815 posts, read 10,717,818 times
Reputation: 2523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
My dislike of this area has to do with the arrogant elitist 'better than flyover country' attitude that seems to be in vogue here. It has nothing to do with culture as I like museums, restaurants, etc. I just don't have to be around them 24-7-365 to appreciate them. That is why some folks will say DC is a great area to VISIT.

Plenty of places in the Midwest have 'culture' too but the bonus is that it comes without the snotnosed arrogant folks who seem to only care about career, money, and status.

now see to me the kind of generalization you are making is just as objectionable.

And BTW, Ive lived in just about as high cultured a place as there is in the Midwest (the Hyde Park nabe of Chicago). If you think theres no intellectual or social arrogance there, I would say you are mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Infernuan
1,367 posts, read 1,577,520 times
Reputation: 1436
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
now see to me the kind of generalization you are making is just as objectionable.

And BTW, Ive lived in just about as high cultured a place as there is in the Midwest (the Hyde Park nabe of Chicago). If you think theres no intellectual or social arrogance there, I would say you are mistaken.
Overall, Chicagoland is friendlier and more down to earth than here. I can also say the same about Metro Detroit. Not necessarily the city itself but the area. Just my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:07 AM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,815 posts, read 10,717,818 times
Reputation: 2523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
All good points. The DC/NOVA area is good as far as the job market is concerned. And the other points about traffic, weather, etc. are spot on.

My goal is to move to Michigan. Suburban Oakland County just isn't as crazy as here. Frankly, that is all I care about at this point because living here with the stress, isolation (yes, it is possible to be isolated even in an area like this!), and the absolutely horrendous traffic is a detriment to my physical and mental health. When the economy improves that is the plan.

the points about the weather are spot on and you want to move to the midwest?

I spent spring in chicago a couple of times. Its a good thing I didnt oversleep, or I would have missed it.

I also once lived in a city I hated (not in the midwest BTW). I tried in my time there to take advantage of what it had to offer, and not to be hateful towards the people who lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:08 AM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,815 posts, read 10,717,818 times
Reputation: 2523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
Overall, Chicagoland is friendlier and more down to earth than here. I can also say the same about Metro Detroit. Not necessarily the city itself but the area. Just my experience.

Ive met lots of friendly and down to earth people here. It really does depend on what social circle you find yourself in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:11 AM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,815 posts, read 10,717,818 times
Reputation: 2523
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Yes, but I think I can assume how you feel about here based on your location.

This must be a hot topic. Six pages of posts so far!

Ive posted a lot cause Ive been reading this as a "the current national labor market situation isnt so bad, the UE rate is high cause of the lazy bums" kind of thread.

Of course the "this is heaven" "this is hell" stuff is always provocative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Infernuan
1,367 posts, read 1,577,520 times
Reputation: 1436
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
the points about the weather are spot on and you want to move to the midwest?

I spent spring in chicago a couple of times. Its a good thing I didnt oversleep, or I would have missed it.

I also once lived in a city I hated (not in the midwest BTW). I tried in my time there to take advantage of what it had to offer, and not to be hateful towards the people who lived there.
Sorry, should have clarified about the weather issue. The summer HUMIDITY is much worse here than in, say, Detroit. I was there two weeks ago and the weather was quite pleasant. A bit warm but without that awful humidity that is prevalent here. As far as the cold, bring it on! No issues with snow and cold!

And the part in bold? That is exactly what I am experiencing here. Now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,098,301 times
Reputation: 6826
So we're all agreed then this is a hellhole we stay in just because of the jobs? I must live a separate reality down here in Mount Vernon. I actually enjoy walking through the woods down to the river (even with the bugs and humidity) or driving up the parkway to Old Town. Guess it's cause I'm just a bumpkin who doesn't get out of the area much and don't know any better.

Maybe I'm just happy living in a place where it doesn't hurt to breathe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top