U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:16 AM

8,799 posts, read 10,709,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
Sorry, should have clarified about the weather issue. The summer HUMIDITY is much worse here than in, say, Detroit. I was there two weeks ago and the weather was quite pleasant. A bit warm but without that awful humidity that is prevalent here. As far as the cold, bring it on! No issues with snow and cold!

And the part in bold? That is exactly what I am experiencing here. Now.

the entire east coast tends to be more humid than the midwest. That you like the climate in michigan is great, but it doesnt support "DC is hell" I disliked the climate in Florida, but I would have had the chutzpah to tell people that they lived in a place with a lousy climate.

and if you are trying to be positive with people who live here, I would say your recent posts and your location field do not reflect that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 10:18 AM

5,740 posts, read 8,971,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I don't know anyone who moved here because they thought DC would be a cool place to live.
You do now! I moved here with no job in the summer of 2001. Got a fairly entry-level job pretty quickly--which was lucky. Was the strong DC job market part of my decision? Sure. But so was the notion that DC was a very livable place, with lots of outdoorsy things.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:20 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,083,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Ive posted a lot cause Ive been reading this as a "the current national labor market situation isnt so bad, the UE rate is high cause of the lazy bums" kind of thread.
Believe me my intent was not that philosophical. Was just something that popped in my head based on my own experience posting and reading what's here versus the CO and CA forums.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
So we're all agreed then this is a hellhole we stay in just because of the jobs?
sigh. excluded middle?

"honey, do you think this dress is beautiful? I got it on sale"

"I wouldnt call it beautiful, but if you got it on sale, keep it"

"id better return it, you think its ugly"

DC/NoVa is not a hellhole, thats absurd. Its ALSO not the kind of place that tends to draw people just because of its "aura". Not because its climate/topography are lousy - they are NOT, but because the same/similar climate/topography are available for lower housing prices elsewhere in the midatlantic.

And of course once you are here, you develop personal ties that make it harder to leave, job aside,which is why some folks DO retire in place here. Thats a different question from asking why people come in the first place.

Note also the whole housing price issue does depend, as I think you said, on where in the region you are. We have one newish regular poster who was able to locate pretty much wherever he wanted to, IIUC, and chose Loudoun County (I think). I suspect Loudoun, esp central or western, is fairly reasonable versus the INNER suburbs of several cheaper metros.

But again, if we are talking about would be new residents drawn by the general strength of the job market, they have to assume they could get a job anywhere in the region, and are esp likely to get one inside the beltway - they cant count on western Loudoun being a reasonable commute (unless they are in certain areas of IT, of course)

Old 07-08-2011, 10:28 AM

6,226 posts, read 6,842,758 times
Quote:
It's funny, if you go hang out on some of the other forums, Colorado or California for instance, you'll notice a lot of people wanting to move there asking about how they can find a job. I rarely see that on the NoVA forum, even with the bad economy elsewhere and our relatively low unemployment rate. Seems like posters on here from out of the area already have a job lined up and want to know about housing, schools, and which neighborhoods they should target. Is that a good thing or does it mean people really don't want to live here but only do if forced to because this is where their employer requires them to work? Do people elsewhere just not realize we're probably the best place right now to find a job?
You noticed that too. I point these NOVA threads out to my coworkers all the time stating that the worse posts on NOVA is about how difficult it is to find a dance school for the kid or what genius level school should they attend. The best thread is the person who asked "Why aren't there "paint and drink wine" classes?"

Old 07-08-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Believe me my intent was not that philosophical. Was just something that popped in my head based on my own experience posting and reading what's here versus the CO and CA forums.
Try the NYC forum.

"I wanna live like those gals on Sex in the City, I just graduated HS and have no marketable skills, what kind of job can I get, and should I live on the Upper West Side or the Upper East Side?"

Old 07-08-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
So we're all agreed then this is a hellhole we stay in just because of the jobs?
Like Yogi Berra said, no one goes there anymore, its too crowded.

We got high cost housing, and we got lotsa traffic. We got both of those BECAUSE we got so many jobs. If we didnt have so many jobs, RE prices would be lower, and congestion would be less. In that case, this area might well be more of a "destination".

At one time wealthy folks moved from NYC to buy mansions on Fauxhall road in DC, just cause DC seemed like an interesting social scene, with the President and all that .

Old 07-08-2011, 10:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,905,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Ive posted a lot cause Ive been reading this as a "the current national labor market situation isnt so bad, the UE rate is high cause of the lazy bums" kind of thread.

Of course the "this is heaven" "this is hell" stuff is always provocative.
Interesting how we all read threads different ways. I see this as sorta of a philosophic observation that during a recession people tend to sort themselves.

Those who feel it's a priority to live near a beach/Hollywood/"the scene" and don't care as much about jobs will sort themselves into the group that moves to the "cool" cities. They meet other people who made the same choice. They have plenty of time to sit on the beach, griping on city-data about "how come everyone else has money but I never do." And sometimes they never go to the beach because they'd have to take 2 buses to get there, since they don't have a high laying job and have to live in the cheap part of town.

Those who feel a career is a priority sort themselves into the group that flocks to the cities with high paying jobs. They make lots of $$$ and meet other people with the same priorities. They have plenty of time to sit at a desk griping on city-data about "how come everyone else has a beach nearby but I never do." Sometimes they get into kayaking or museums or other local things to do--sometimes they don't and wonder if making $$$ is worth it.

Are there US cities that have everything? Thirty years ago LA had good jobs and the beach, but not now. For awhile Austin had good jobs and a cool music scene, but lately people from the Austin forum have been asking me to please stop referring people to their forum because there really aren't many jobs there anymore.

For me, the choice was easy. I chose the city with high paying jobs, and since I was here I found plenty of other reasons to enjoy living in Nova even though I'm now far from a beach. I may not be able to play beach volleyball here, but I got into kayaking. I've had a blast here.

Now, I'm nearing the end of my working days, and because I chose the city with jobs I can afford to retire to that beach town. I'll have years and years to play on the beach without worrying about a job. (Good thing--because there aren't many jobs in the town we plan to move to.)

That's the solution that worked for me, but everyone has different solutions, tastes, and priorities.

Last edited by Caladium; 07-08-2011 at 11:07 AM..

Old 07-08-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Thirty years ago LA had good jobs and the beach, but not now.

As Neil Diamond once said

"L.A.'s fine, but it ain't home
New York's home, but it ain't mine no more"

Old 07-08-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Interesting how we all read threads different ways. I see this as sorta of a philosophic observation that during a recession people tend to sort themselves.
I think people are constantly sorting themselves, in all kinds of economic climates. I think the division into dreamers vs the practical is a false one. I also think the implication that the differences in social economic outcomes among folks is largely driven by some having opted for an easy path is a false one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia