Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:44 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times

Advertisements

It's funny, if you go hang out on some of the other forums, Colorado or California for instance, you'll notice a lot of people wanting to move there asking about how they can find a job. I rarely see that on the NoVA forum, even with the bad economy elsewhere and our relatively low unemployment rate. Seems like posters on here from out of the area already have a job lined up and want to know about housing, schools, and which neighborhoods they should target. Is that a good thing or does it mean people really don't want to live here but only do if forced to because this is where their employer requires them to work? Do people elsewhere just not realize we're probably the best place right now to find a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 05:56 AM

65 posts, read 120,531 times
People only move here for jobs. The DC area is a great place to visit, but so awful a place to live that people would rather struggle to survive in places like Colorado and California than move here. If I didn't work in an industry that forced me to be here, I would be long gone as well.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:11 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Even when I worked, and commuted up and down I-95 between Woodbridge and Capitol Hill every day, I never felt that this area was "so awful a place to live." The commute sucked, and that is unfortunately a major part of many lives in NoVA, but everything else was fine.

Now that I'm retired and the commute has been taken out of the equation, NoVA has gone from being a good place to live to being a GREAT place to live.

I think it's likely that the number one reason that people move here is employment (and that may be the number one reason for many other areas across the country as well). And I think it's likely that people don't post here asking about the availability of jobs because (1) they already have a job lined up, or (2) they know that the area's economy is better than many/most areas of the country, and that consequently their chances of finding a good job are better here than elsewhere.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:28 AM

738 posts, read 2,957,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Even when I worked, and commuted up and down I-95 between Woodbridge and Capitol Hill every day, I never felt that this area was "so awful a place to live." The commute sucked, and that is unfortunately a major part of many lives in NoVA, but everything else was fine.
I agree - I love living in the DC area. I've lived here most of my life, but spent a few years outside this area.

Outside of traffic, I think it has tons to offer. There are gobs of museums and activities downtown, lots of good high-end restaurants, plenty of vacation variety within a few hours driving, great job market, highly motivated and intelligent people.

People that dislike the area tend to get too caught up with the traffic sucking in the area or others being too focused on their jobs - I enjoy being surrounded by intelligent neighbors that nearly all do something impressive with their lives; being that it is a transient area, you get a great variety of people from all over the world living here. It's the epicenter of the most powerful nation in the world, I find the area to be very inspiring when you really see what is accomplished by the people living here.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:37 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Well, one big reason could be the every time someone comes on this forum and says they're thinking of moving here without a job, we make a point of giving them 9-10 strong reasons why that's a bad idea. Those people usually don't return, and word spreads.

To which I say: GOOD! Way to go, and keep it up!

As much as I love living in northern Virginia, it's not the type of area that you move to and then look for a job. It would break my heart if I saw lots of people doing that, so I think the people on this forum are being very responsible to discourage that whenever possible.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
People that dislike the area tend to get too caught up with the traffic sucking in the area or others being too focused on their jobs - I enjoy being surrounded by intelligent neighbors that nearly all do something impressive with their lives; being that it is a transient area, you get a great variety of people from all over the world living here. It's the epicenter of the most powerful nation in the world, I find the area to be very inspiring when you really see what is accomplished by the people living here.
Agreed. I'm from a nice part of California (Orange County) and I like where I live here a lot more. I don't go to an office anymore and could be anywhere and I choose to live here. It obviously doesn't seem bad to me.

This area has a lot more to offer than just jobs. Given the same job situation would you really rather live in Little Rock, Des Moines, or here? The fact that we have a lot of good paying jobs is a bonus.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Well, one big reason could be the every time someone comes on this forum and says they're thinking of moving here without a job, we make a point of giving them 9-10 strong reasons why that's a bad idea. Those people usually don't return, and word spreads.

To which I say: GOOD! Way to go, and keep it up!

As much as I love living in northern Virginia, it's not the type of area that you move to and then look for a job. It would break my heart if I saw lots of people doing that, so I think the people on this forum are being very responsible to discourage that whenever possible.
I don't get your logic. We have jobs we need to fill. People elsewhere need jobs. I also don't recall too many posters inquiring about jobs being treated like they would on the Colorado or California forums. We're generally helpful to the few inquirers we get.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:49 AM

65 posts, read 120,531 times
First of all, city data doesn't have enough of an impact to steer people to or from a certain area, no matter how much some posters here would like to think. Yes, maybe a small amount of individuals make their decisions based on the opinions found here, but that's definitely the minority.

Second of all, if this is such a great place to live, what is the explanation for people not leaving places like San Diego, Colorado Springs, etc. for this area?

Again, I understand the CD opinion may be that this is a great place to live, but I don't buy that as the majority opinion.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenpilot View Post
Second of all, if this is such a great place to live, what is the explanation for people not leaving places like San Diego, Colorado Springs, etc. for this area?
I guess they'd rather stay in place, starve, and whine. People are irrational.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:57 AM

564 posts, read 1,493,996 times
A lot of people moving here are moving for Fed Govt or Military positions. So they are usually already in "the system" or know what they're doing and where they're going. The major employment options are fairly obvious: Government/Military, or Govt. contractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia