U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-08-2011, 09:20 PM
 
64 posts, read 88,286 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

Hi, just wondering if there are any public school teachers on here in the NOVA area?

Do your school districts have union contracts?

Salary schedules?

Is there any reason there are so many job openings in your school districts?

Any information you all could provide would be much appreciated... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2011, 05:32 AM
 
25 posts, read 76,983 times
Reputation: 42
1: Yes.
2: Virginia is a Right to Work State; some do, some don't.
3: Salary Schedules are normally maintained through whichever county in NOVA your looking at.
4: Huge Population Growth, one of the fastest growing areas in the Nation.
5: New Schools are being built in the NOVA area every year due the rapid population growth.
6: In Dire need for Special Education Teachers and Special Education Teaching Assistants due to said population growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Virginia
8,113 posts, read 12,682,638 times
Reputation: 3770
Hi, just wondering if there are any public school teachers on here in the NOVA area?


Do your school districts have union contracts?
While we have unions and associations, districts do not have union negotiated contracts. There is no collective bargaining.

Examples:
http://fcft.org/

http://www.fairfaxea.org/

Salary schedules?
Yes. Most are posted on the district's website.
Example: http://www.fcps.edu/DHR/salary/scale...%20teacher.pdf


Is there any reason there are so many job openings in your school districts?
Same reason PGH gave, plus many teachers have spouses with transient jobs.

Any information you all could provide would be much appreciated... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 09:40 AM
 
64 posts, read 88,286 times
Reputation: 22
Thanks for the responses. While reading through the first few pages, I noticed a few other topics regarding jobs in school districts. Is it competitive/tough to land a teaching job in NoVA? Are any positions being cut?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Virginia
8,113 posts, read 12,682,638 times
Reputation: 3770
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghWA22 View Post
Thanks for the responses. While reading through the first few pages, I noticed a few other topics regarding jobs in school districts. Is it competitive/tough to land a teaching job in NoVA? Are any positions being cut?
I don't know of any being cut. Fairfax County is expanding full-day kindergarten. Now might be a little late to start looking, but that doesn't make it impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 11:16 AM
 
64 posts, read 88,286 times
Reputation: 22
I'm asking more for next year. My fiance will be student teaching this fall and then she will be certified. We live in Pittsburgh and it's tough to find teaching jobs here. Not to mention, our governor just did a major funding cut to education in PA, so many districts are on a hiring freeze or furloughing teachers. Our next choice would be to move down to Baltimore/DC/NOVA area.

Any other advice or information is appreciated...thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 26,905,338 times
Reputation: 42861
I'm not a teacher, so I'd double check this--but one thing I hear is that the most job openings are in Prince William County. PW county, as well as Loudoun and Stafford, seem to have the most growth right now as well as the highest birth rate in the country. So they're building schools left and right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 11:54 AM
 
2,612 posts, read 4,767,267 times
Reputation: 3943
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghWA22 View Post
I'm asking more for next year. My fiance will be student teaching this fall and then she will be certified. We live in Pittsburgh and it's tough to find teaching jobs here. Not to mention, our governor just did a major funding cut to education in PA, so many districts are on a hiring freeze or furloughing teachers. Our next choice would be to move down to Baltimore/DC/NOVA area.

Any other advice or information is appreciated...thanks everyone
That would probably be a good bet. She should apply to all the counties around here - Loudon, Prince William, Fairfax, even some of the MD ones, like Montgomery. If she starts early enough and plans well, she should be able to register for and attend the hiring fairs for the counties and hopefully land a job before you actually move. If she is in spec ed or esol she has an even better chance. Otherwise, if she somehow can't get a job for that year, if she can sub or work as an assistant for a year, she should be able to work as a teacher for the following year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 03:12 PM
 
64 posts, read 88,286 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'm not a teacher, so I'd double check this--but one thing I hear is that the most job openings are in Prince William County. PW county, as well as Loudoun and Stafford, seem to have the most growth right now as well as the highest birth rate in the country. So they're building schools left and right.
That's great news...I hope the whole Baltimore/DC/Nova area continues to see manageable growth and increasing job opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 03:14 PM
 
64 posts, read 88,286 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
That would probably be a good bet. She should apply to all the counties around here - Loudon, Prince William, Fairfax, even some of the MD ones, like Montgomery. If she starts early enough and plans well, she should be able to register for and attend the hiring fairs for the counties and hopefully land a job before you actually move. If she is in spec ed or esol she has an even better chance. Otherwise, if she somehow can't get a job for that year, if she can sub or work as an assistant for a year, she should be able to work as a teacher for the following year.
She is in grades 7-12 Math, which is usually an area of need so we'll keep our fingers crossed. What are schools like in the suburbs in Maryland? Same deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top