Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:01 AM

6 posts, read 10,846 times

Advertisements

I am 27 year old male looking on moving to the northern virginia/maybe DC area. I would be moving from Richmond and I am a newly licensed pharmacist.

I want to inquire about were to live as I may be accepting a job offer in Fairfax. But the thing is I want to be close to the DC area because of the sociability aspects. [ going out, meeting new people, and such]

Can someone advice me about Fairfax? Is also possible to live in DC or live maybe like in Arlington or Alexandria as it is not far from DC? Traffic issues?

Also, areas to live in the Northern Virginia that is young and vibrant. I am looking on living in a diverse area and the max rent i am looking to pay is $1500/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 06:34 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,121,390 times
Arlington or DC would be your best bet. You'll probably need a roommate on your budget in Arlington but you'll have no problem finding a place on your own in DC, say around Capitol Hill. You might want to consider the higher income tax you'll pay there though. Commute from either shouldn't be too bad.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:17 PM

11 posts, read 18,480 times
I'd say your best bet would be looking for a place near a metro stop, but not too far from your work. Taking a train into DC when you want to go out would be easier than commuting out every day.

"Young and vibrant area" in NoVA? Not so much. I think you just have to live wherever you live, and build a life out of the people and places you find there. It's not like SF or NY or something where you can live in a party area. You just live in an area, and bring the party with you.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:25 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,121,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble Wrap View Post
"Young and vibrant area" in NoVA? Not so much. I think you just have to live wherever you live, and build a life out of the people and places you find there. It's not like SF or NY or something where you can live in a party area. You just live in an area, and bring the party with you.
Clarendon is pretty vibrant but lately DC around Capitol Hill has gained a lot of ground and seems to be a hot spot for young singles around here.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:30 PM

11 posts, read 18,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Clarendon is pretty vibrant
. . . and on the Orange Line. Not a bad point.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:47 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,857,849 times
Pharmacists hours can run late at night, especially at 24 hour stores. Our Metro system, called [URL="http://www.wmata.com/"]wmata[/URL], does NOT run 24 hours. The subway trains runs until about Midnight during the week so make sure you don't have a late shift or you'll need to make other arrangements.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:55 PM

8,977 posts, read 21,055,209 times
Just to clarify, will you be working in Fairfax City or somewhere in Fairfax County? If it's the former, then do follow the great advice already given. If it's the latter, then we'll definitely need more details as the county is rather large...and living in Arlington or DC could possibly make for a more stressful commute to some areas.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:03 PM

384 posts, read 1,024,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMan84 View Post
I am 27 year old male looking on moving to the northern virginia/maybe DC area. I would be moving from Richmond and I am a newly licensed pharmacist.

I want to inquire about were to live as I may be accepting a job offer in Fairfax. But the thing is I want to be close to the DC area because of the sociability aspects. [ going out, meeting new people, and such]

Can someone advice me about Fairfax? Is also possible to live in DC or live maybe like in Arlington or Alexandria as it is not far from DC? Traffic issues?

Also, areas to live in the Northern Virginia that is young and vibrant. I am looking on living in a diverse area and the max rent i am looking to pay is $1500/month.
If you want to live in DC, try out the commute before you commit to a place. There is alot of traffic coming from DC to Virginia in the morning, especially around the Pentagon.

Arlington is a great place to live. I highly recommend it. The rents are extremely high though so keep that in mind.

Good luck with your home search!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:59 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,495,770 times
A reverse commute out of DC into central/western Fairfax can grow old fast. Remember, you'll be working 5 days a week and socializing maybe 2-4 days a week (unless you're a whiz at going out cheaply, an attractive female that hasn't bought a drink for herself in years, or making six figures.)

We'd need a location in Fairfax County (and to make it confusing there is also Fairfax City, a separate legal jurisdiction, and areas in Fairfax County with a Fairfax mailing address) before making too many more recommendations.

$1500 - you'll need a roommate. If you're lower-excitement, you can get a place in Reston for that amount although that won't be Metro accessible for another two years.

If you're working in western Fairfax County, I would kindly suggest Falls Church City. Metro accessible by and large but closer for your commute.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 10,846 times
The area is 10300 Easton Place
Fairfax, va
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia